main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Quality of 'The Phantom Menace' DVD re-release March 22nd

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by TheMcguffin, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnakinBrego

AnakinBrego Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2004
    When i saw the TPM in the digital theater, that grianiness was there too! The picture quality that was in the dgital theater presentation was perfectly put on the DVD, no difference between qualities!

In my opinion, the Episode 1 DVD has one of the best pictures of all of my DVD's!

2. Darth_Nowitzki41

Darth_Nowitzki41 Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2005
    I dont have TPM yet but i do have AotC in widescreen. which is better wide or full screen?

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Widescreen is always better because it is the way the film was meant to be seen with nothing cropped or cut off.

4. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
  5. Darth_Nowitzki41

Mar 16, 2005
    i honestly never knew that, i have the trilogy boxed set in full screen. is a lot of the screen cut off or is it miniscule

6. Queenie Amidala

Queenie Amidala Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 7, 2000
    Widescreen vs. Fullscreen

You can lose 40% of the picture on fullscreen/pan and scan. It's horrid.

Never, never underestimate the power of widescreen.

7. Qui-Gon-Strat

Qui-Gon-Strat Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2005
    Never buy ANY movie in the full screen version. I was thrilled when DVD's first came out and just about everything is widescreen.

Lots of people (like my folks) say they don't like the "black bars" of wide screen movies. Won't they be confused when HDTV's become the standard in about 5 to 10 years, and they wonder why their fullscreen DVD's have "black bars" on them. ;)

8. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    In the theaters I noticed there seemed to be a bit of blur in some of the shots which were transfered to the DVD, but not quite as noticable since it's on a smaller screen.

I'll have to agree with the previous poster. I'll probably try to resist getting any new TPM DVDs unless they do some major changes, like switching out the Yoda. That thing always gave me the shivers. :p

And always get widescreen!

9. Phredreeke87

Phredreeke87 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    Never buy ANY movie in the full screen version.

Widescreen didn't become standard until the 50s. With a few exceptions, all movies before were shot in 4:3

Widescreen is the only way to properly present films made in Panavision (Original Star Wars trilogy, The Phantom Menace, Indiana Jones trilogy). Pan and Scan makes Star Wars look like a made-for-tv movie.

I suppose the fullscreen version will have less jar jar though ;)

The picture quality that was in the dgital theater presentation was perfectly put on the DVD, no difference between qualities!

As I said before, the current DVD was scanned from a film print. Also, edge enhancement was applied. This site has some examples:

http://www.videophile.info/Review/TPM/TPM_01.htm

The lack of unzoomed pics makes the issue seem bigger than it is. I have the PAL version, there's a few overly strong outlines but overall it looks quite nice on my 32" WS TV. I still say there's room for improvement if they use a digital source for a remaster.

10. CBright7831

CBright7831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2004
    So, it's confirmed. TPM will be re-released on March 22nd?

I am so there.

11. CBright7831

Mar 23, 2004
    Never mind I just confirmed it myself by going to Amazon.com.

YES!

12. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Yup, tomorrow's the big day.

13. arthurclavin2

arthurclavin2 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 27, 2003
    Obligatory bump.

So what's the latest?

AC2

14. jengafett

jengafett Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2004
    I heard rumours that Yoda's gonna be CGI in the re-release, can anyone tell me if it's true.

15. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    I always thought that TPM had one of the best visual and audio qualities of any movie I've seen on DVD. But lately I've noticed that some scenes look almost 3-Dish in their colors on the edges of things...but that's probably just my TV color tube getting old or messing up or something.

16. CBright7831

Mar 23, 2004
    TPM is ordered, and shall be here Thursday morning.

17. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Anyone verify whether or not there are any changes?

18. JediMaster77

JediMaster77 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but here I go:

I picked up the Phantom Menace DVD today (I know it was the newly printed one because the boxopening has that same clippy spot that the newer Star Wars DVDs have).

~The Yoda puppet was not replaced with a CGI one as people speculated. I doubted this anyways though.

~The quality of the picture has not been updated. While I haven't seen the original print on DVD, I have seen pictures of this so called "clouding edges" and by looking very closely I was able to see it on a few scenes. It is barely noticeable though so I don't know why people make a big deal about it.

The only thing that is changed is the casing...no more, no less. (except the price :p)

I wanted Episode I on DVD anyways since I only have it on VHS and I only paid 12 bucks for it, so it wasn't a loss for me. Happy I could settle this for you guys though :)

BTW, I also picked up The Clone Wars Volume 1. That is a very enjoyable DVD as the uninteruppted chapters make it seem like an animated film. It was all new to me as I missed The Clone Wars Saga when it aired. I wish there was more dialogue, but I see this is better in the new season that aired yesterday. Great picture quality as well. Pick one up, it's only 12 bucks at Circuit City this week along with the Phantom Menace DVD for those like me who never got it back when it first printed.

19. Darth_Nowitzki41

Mar 16, 2005
    This is not in my super wal-mart. are there any signs or things notifying people that its being released today in other stores cause theres not in mine

20. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    Awww man... I actually wanted changes for this one. Why GL? You pirate, just take the booty and run, huh...

21. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    It is odd that he didn't change anything, but had he seriously planned on it, I think we would have gotten confirmation much earlier than today.

22. Hartdegen

Hartdegen Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2005
    I picked the DVD up at Best Buy but it didn't feel or look like a reprint to me. The wrapping wasn't as factory fresh as the Clone Wars DVD, and the worst part was when I opened it up, it turns out that the back portion of the sleeve was wrinkled up. I hate that crap.

23. DarthFlatulence

DarthFlatulence Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2005
    I thought that I had read somewhere that parts of TPM were shot using digital cameras similar to those used in AOTC. GL was just toying around with the technology back in 1997, and was testing it for use with Episodes II and III. I also read that GL was curious as to whether anyone would actually notice if the parts of TPM that were shot digitally looked any different than the regular filming.

24. CBright7831

Mar 23, 2004
    I should have ordered the Clone Wars DVD also.

I hate myself.

25. Phredreeke87

Phredreeke87 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    One scene was shot in digital, I've heard it's the scene where Qui-Gon checks Anakin's blood for midichlorians.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.