main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Qualms with Return of the Jedi

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by BigMackDaddy, Nov 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunrar

Gunrar Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2002
    I just think it's a little tasteless (my opinion) to suggest that her 'personal problems' hurt the film. I've never heard or read any stories about her being unprofessional during the production.

I wouldn't have made a comment like 'Ford was too busy running around on his wife to apply himself and do his job properly.'

Conceded.
    I don't soley blame the actors themselves. The writers and Directors should be there to say, write something good, or screem "What the %*#~ was that? Do it again!" But a good actor can rise above bad writing, sometimes if only with enthusiasm.
    Ford (still my Favorite childhood hero) and Fisher just seem so apathetic and bored. Maybe they were, but to show it on screen is unprofessional, especially since both are obviously capable of so much better.

2. IncomT65

IncomT65 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    Say, this is turning out to be a cheating-on-his-wife-Ford / Fisher-is-high-on-crack debate! Stay on target, people!

As I said before, the scenes in Jabba's palace are fine by me. But I agree that the cgi Sy Snootles and Yuzzum are clearly not the best examples of cgi. Just like Jabba in ANH-SE wasn't either. The overall idea and feel of the scenes was good, though. And the original Jabba is an amazing showcase of puppetry. Weren't there three guys inside operating his controls? Haven't seen that in any other movie!

Regarding the muppets: how about the cantina creatures in ANH adn in ANH-SE?

3. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    Back in the '70s and '80s, those puppeteers were the go-to people for puppetry. That's why they were hired to work on the trilogy. Because they were good.

Now, more than twenty years later, the audience has been spoiled by the amazing graphics we see every day in television ads., etc.

For someone to say that the 'puppets' look out of place, but the CGI characters blend right in, boggles my mind. 'Puppets' and masks LOOK like 'Star Wars' to me. They were in ANH. They were in ESB. Why shouldn't they be in ROTJ?

Gunrar: I was a little cranky last night. Sorry.

If Ford and Fisher didn't seem enthusiastic, it might have been their disatisfaction with the script. I just read an interview with Fisher the other day where she said she complained to the director that after Leia is captured by Jabba she doesn't say or do anything. She felt strongly that the character would not have been so submissive or silent in that situation. (A couple of months before filming started, Fisher checked herself into a 'fat farm' so she would look good in the bikini. If she seemed distracted, maybe she was just thinking about food. I would be.) ;)

With Ford, I've read that early on, there was a possibility that he might not return, so they structured the script in the event of that happening.

Something else you have to consider is that in the third act of the trilogy, the fate of Luke takes center stage, so the other characters fade back a little.

4. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Please stop any and all bashing, also, please stay within the parameters of the thread.

5. thecleric007

thecleric007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2003
    My only qualm with RotJ is the SE...

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE EWOK PARTY!!!

I always loved that scene, the ewoks were the reason that for a long time RotJ was my favourite movie. And they TOOK THEM OUT!!!!!!!

ERG :mad:

The Cleric 007

6. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    The Ewok party is still there. Only the music has changed.

Rick McCallum loves you!

7. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    Thank G-d the party music changed it adds to the emotion of the scene. MY qualms w/ ROTJ are JAbba's Palace. I think it was just plain boring untill the Sarlaac pit scenes. My one big qualm is NEVER seeing HAn aboard the Falcon. I would have loved to have seen a reaction upon seeing HER again after being frozen in carbonite. He really love her. So do I. I still get goosebumps when She is being chased by the fire wqhile emerging from the Death Star.
    If Jabba had been a puppet in ANH the first time around. And seeing the ending of ESB, in light of the ending LOTR-TFOR and the start the start of LOTR-TTT. ROTJ could have opened right as the Sarlaac scene was starting. Dissolve from stars to Tattooine dessert as 3PO says "Victims of the almighty Sarlaac." And moving Vaders entrance untill after that scene.

8. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    A quick comment on the "Leia not doing anything after she is captured" thing...

She KNOWS Luke is coming, and that the Force is with him ;) Why do anything to antagonize Jabba? She (and everybody) knows that he is given to more than occasionally execute people on a whim, so why bother being defiant and taking the chance of becoming Rancor poodoo when you know the last Jedi Knight in the galaxy is on his way?

And as far as the "puppet" look goes, well CG and CG characters still aren't good enough in my book to totally fool the eye, you still know it is fake no matter how good the character is, so until the day that you can't, I think that real life things are the way to go. I miss the flavor of actual sets and ships from the OT in the new movies.

9. Eeth_Koth_is_dead

Eeth_Koth_is_dead Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 21, 2003
    What the heck is a qualm?

Anyways, I love the Jabba's Palace denizens. They are the coolest characters in the Saga besides the Jedi. The ewoks are my least favorite. I hate those stupid guys.

Who's the blue marshmallow guy? The organ player Max Rebo?

10. Leias_love_slave

Oct 26, 2003
    "A quick comment on the 'Leia not doing anything after she is captured' thing..."

Fisher was referring to the fact that after she's captured, everybody else has lines, while she's sitting there with no dialogue. She thought it was 'out of character' for Leia to not speak up. Han has lines. Luke has lines. Jabba has lines. Threepio has lines. After several pages of script in which her character is present, all she says is "I'm here."

I could imagine her talking back to Jabba a little before Luke arrives, or making a sarcastic remark when he finally shows up. Whether it would improve the film or not, I don't know.

I'm not saying she's right or wrong. I'm just telling you what she said.

If some of the fans think her character was under-used in ROTJ, it sounds like she agrees.

11. TheEliteFetus

TheEliteFetus Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 1, 2003
    A qualm is something that you have issues with or you don't like a certain aspect about something. For ex. I have qualms with the girl you're dating.

12. thecleric007

Oct 3, 2003
    The Ewok song rocked. Am eternally upset about its removal.

The Cleric 007

13. IncomT65

IncomT65 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    Leia is definitely doing something. She's pressing her warm lucious body against Jabba's cold leathery skin. In other words, she's messing with his concentration.

The whole Solo-rescue was Luke's plan. He just needed to get everyone in place there, until he showed up.

14. Leias_love_slave

Oct 26, 2003
    So if Jabba had done unspeakable things to Leia before Luke arrived, what would she think of his plan?

[face_laugh]

15. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    lls I must disagree with your previous quote "Something else you have to consider is that in the third act of the trilogy, the fate of Luke takes center stage, so the other characters fade back a little.'

It is not Luke Skywalker's fate that takes center stage, but rather Anakin Skywalker's fate.

16. Eeth_Koth_is_dead

Eeth_Koth_is_dead Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 21, 2003
    Not dating anyone.

:D

17. thecleric007

Oct 3, 2003
    ACK Leias_love_slave, I've heard of a bad fan fiction centering around that.

EW EW EW!!!!

Bad fic, Jaya, BAD FIC!!!!

The Cleric 007

18. ValinFett21

ValinFett21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2003
    If there is a problem with ROTJ it's those little ewoks. nuff said

19. thecleric007

Oct 3, 2003
    The ewoks rock. Who else but little fuzz balls could beat stormtroopers with STICKS AND STONES!!!!

The Cleric 007

20. Luke_SW

Luke_SW Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2003
    ROTJ is my favorite of them all....but I just wanted to say "long live the ORIGINAL dance sequence in Jabba's palace" even if the characters are a bit stiff, admit it, the CGI version was FAR more corny with that little "honeycomb me want honeycomb!" stupid creature popping in

21. Crispy_Fried_Dentic

Crispy_Fried_Dentic Jedi Youngling star 2

May 27, 2003
    I've had problems with RotJ since the first time I saw it. I remember sitting in the bus going home from the theater thinking "but...what happened? what's missing? It did turn out pretty much like I'd hoped." Years later I've come to put it into words-and these are some mighty strong words...

(I will say ahead of time that I am not an OT basher, I love the OT-hell, I grew up on it!) But RotJ to me is:

A rare, huge, priceless diamond buried in an enormous pile of turds.

Now, this is only my opinion and my feelings but...RotJ, 'film-wise' was er...shall I say, not the same as ESB or even ANH. There was something about the way the movie was made that bugged me...be it the Ewoks, the Tatooine scenes where absolutely everything drooled and slobbered, or the gigantic space battle where it was so huge I never gave a Hutt's butt about any of the fighter pilots (something I also have a problem with in the PT).

In ESB I never ever noticed the scars on Mark Hamill's face. In RotJ he was always in the wrong light, filmed from the wrong side, and it showed them horribly, most notably in Jabba's palace. The Ewok thing I'm not a fan of either. I understand the symbolism but I've just never quite gotten over it :p. The "Somehow I've always known" line was a real downer for me...not the idea of them being siblings, but how Leia suddenly came up with "I know" was just so unbelievable to me.

The diamond? The story. The themes of compassion and redemption are so strong, it's overwhelming even 20 years later. The final duel between Vader and Luke was the greatest I've ever seen in any of the SW movies-bar none...not for special effects or acrobatics...but for the drama and emotion that was present. The very fact that Luke kept trying to turn Vader all through it was incredible. (I'm hoping upon hope that the EPIII duel will be just as emotional.) To this day I still sit with my eyeballs riveted to the screen during the duel.

This is why I fast-forward most of the movie except for scenes that feature Vader ( [face_love] ), the Emperor, or Luke.

The SE ending is one of only 2 of all the changes made that I ever really liked or made sense. I absolutely love the ending, especially the music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.