1. Welcome back everyone! Wondering why everything looks different? Please visit HERE for more information!
  2. Welcome Guest. New feature: The Art of Disney…Now discussing:

Art Archive QueenMother_LK 's Fan art - ( Updated 04-25 )

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by QueenMother_LK, Mar 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
  1. QueenMother_LK Jedi Master

star 4
    So I definitely wouldn't call myself an artist, and I really can't do anything as amazing as everyone else here, but I do like to draw and I have started drawing some of my favorite SW characters. These are the first two I have done. I think I'm going to add color to them soon, but for now this is what they look like:

[image=http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k296/lcarp_2006/scan0002.jpg]

QM Tenel Ka

[image=http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k296/lcarp_2006/scan0004.jpg]

Jaina. This one is kinda messed up. As you can see I can't really draw bodies too well, so I'll have to work on that, and something about her eyes just isn't right...

[image=http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k296/lcarp_2006/scan0005.jpg]

Empress Jaina Solo Fel...hopefully...:D

[image=http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k296/lcarp_2006/scan0006.jpg]

Jaina at the ball on Hapes during Dark Journey

Anyway, comments, criticisms, and suggestions for what to draw are definitely welcomed!!! Thanks!:D
  2. Kiyuuchan Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Hi ! Welcome to fanart [:D] Nice to see you here ^___^

Yay, TK and Jaina ! [face_dancing] I like the scenes you've chosen for Jaina, and Jaina and TK are some of my favourite characters ^___^

Overall your pictures look very good. You say you have some trouble with bodies, but that last one is perfect =D= It's a lovely picture, I really like the design of the dress ^___^

I think you just need a little bit of guidance to anatomy, I would suggest getting an anatomy book, that's really handy to have around. I recommend "How to draw manga: bodies and anatomy" I draw manga style, but I think it would be good for anybody because it's really simple to understand, good for beginners ^___^ I still use it now ;)

I would love to see more ! [:D]
  3. AzureAngel2 Force Ghost

star 6
    Listen to K, you must, queen! Great potential I see.

Honest, you need to make a start somewhere and your start was rather nice.

Your art seems a lot like manga and if you do the practices that K just adviced you then we will see you taking off like a successful rocket. No one can stop you then. Believe in yourself and practice!

[:D]
  4. QueenMother_LK Jedi Master

star 4
    Kiyuuchan: Thank you very much! They are two of my favorite characters too! And I'm definitely going to look into picking a book up like the one you recommended. Thanks for the advice![:D]

AzureAngel2: Thanks for the support! [:D] I will definitely keep drawing, and color in those ones the I've already done. I'm reading an X-wing book right now, and I think I want to do a scene from it with either corran or mirax! [face_love]
  5. AzureAngel2 Force Ghost

star 6
    I would love to see that!

=D=
  6. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
    Crit - don't rip into yourself - and NEVER apologize for your abilities or style!

You know what's really 'fun'? Going back a few years later and seeing how far you've come (for this very reason, I have left ancient fan fiction alone and unmolested, much to my creative chagrin! Some things are absolutely painfully clunky!)

That being said, you might want to experiment with different media - have you ever picked up a sumi-brush (possible spelling error here - it's been AGES) pen?

Very nice work in any case - defiantly start playing with colour!
  7. QueenMother_LK Jedi Master

star 4
    D. Breezy Thank you very much for the suggestions [:D] I don't know what a sumi (?) pen is, but I'll try to find out what it is...

So I colored 3 of the pics from above using some water colored pencils. I've heard them mentioned before, so I decided to get them. I've never used them before, and I really enjoyed the experience! Even though some of the colors didn't turn out how I imagined them, I'm still pretty happy:

[image=http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k296/lcarp_2006/scan0003-1.jpg]

Tenel Ka. Her hair is a little bit too pink. I like the sketch of this one a little better.

[image=http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k296/lcarp_2006/scan0002-1-1.jpg]

(Empress) Jaina. Her hair isn't dark enough, and then skin color is off, but still not too bad.

[image=http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k296/lcarp_2006/scan0001-1.jpg]

I like this one quite a bit. The dress should be a little darker red, same problem as TK's hair.
  8. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    The faces are lovely, manga style, and colouring them would be nice. Seeing pictures in magazines helps too.
  9. Black-Dog Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    These be some good drawings you've got there LK. I really likes that one you have of Jaina in a gown. Quite befitting of the IWoD. I now be eager to see what you got planned for Corran and Mirax. :)
  10. Kiyuuchan Jedi Youngling

star 2
    They look really nice coloured ^__^ And now I see the features better it's look more like manga [face_mischief][:D]
    I suggest adding a bit of shading on the hair next time.
    I look forward to more of your drawings. ^^

11. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6

*evil laugh* You have done well my young apprentice...

Now with WC pencils, the trick is to only add some colour with the pencils themselves, then use a brush to draw it out. Also, work in layers - do some colour, wet it and paint a bit, then come back to it once it's dry.

You've already been doing it with the dress (which is lovely) now try it with other shades... a bit of pink, add a bit of red, maybe even some violet for darker shades.
  12. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    Nice pictures with the colours giving them a beautiful look.
  13. QueenMother_LK Jedi Master

star 4
    @Black-Dog: Jaina in the gown is my favorite too! thanks! [:D]

@Kiyuuchan: Thanks! And the one I'm working on now I can definitely try to shade more on the hair because it's a bit bigger picture. :D

[face_mischief] Thank you! The water color pencils are fun, but I think I need to find some more colors if I can. :D

@earlybird-obi-wan: Thank you very much! [:D]

So right now I'm working on one with Mirax, and then I have a few more ideas after that, so I should have some more up once I complete a few. Thanks again everyone! The support is so nice!
  14. AzureAngel2 Force Ghost

star 6
    :D

You are doing great here! This is a nice place where people can grow!
  15. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Ooo! I'm looking forward to seeing Mirax--we don't see much fan art of her anywhere, so it'll be a real novelty!

Very nice sketches all, and good job of coloring them, too--watercolor pencils are a challenging medium, and you've done a good job with them here. I think I especially like Empress Jaina's dress (it's quite unique--do you do costume design, too...?)! If you have any interest, I can offer some links to some sites that have figure-and-face drawing guides that might be of some use to you. Let me know if you'd like them--I've copied down some of the tutorials and certain pages and keep them with my own drawing stuff, as I've found them to be very helpful!

Keep up the good work! :D

FF
  16. Iverna Force Ghost

star 4
    I really like your Empress Jaina--she reminds me so much of Leia in that picture! And I love the design of the red ball dress. Actually, these remind me a bit of my own pieces from a few years ago--although I never ventured near colour back then, respect to you for pulling that off. I'd love to see your interpretation of Mirax, she's one of my favourite characters and WAY too underappreciated!
  17. QueenMother_LK Jedi Master

star 4
    FalconFan: Thank you so much! Right now I'm working on a Mirax that is basically just my icon because I really love that picture and I wanted to make something like it to have, but I think I'm going to try to do a scene from outcast with Mirax in it soon. I don't do costume design; idk where the idea came from...probably just too much time watching project runway. :p

Iverna: Thank you !! [:D] Mirax definitely has become one of my favorite characters after reading the first 4 x-wing books recently. :D
  18. QueenMother_LK Jedi Master

star 4
    -sorry for the double post-

Here's the first Mirax Terrick that I have finished:

[image=http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k296/lcarp_2006/scan0006-1-1-1.jpg]

It's basically like the icon, and I enjoyed making this one a lot because it was a much bigger piece than the last ones. The gray in her hair wasn't really what I wanted, but I still like this one overall.

I think I should have one more piece finished by this Friday (fingers crossed). But right now I have more ideas of what I want to do than time to do them :p

edit:

I have the sketch done for my next drawing. I think I'm going to re-do it tho, so here it is w/o color:

[image=http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k296/lcarp_2006/scan0007-1.jpg]

Siri Tachi !

edit #2:

I got the Siri piece colored. Here it is:

[image=http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k296/lcarp_2006/scan0009-1.jpg]

This is probably my favorite one so far. Her sleeves and the main color on her robes are actually light green in real life; for some reason the scanner made it look tan. But it's still ok.
  19. AzureAngel2 Force Ghost

star 6
    SCanners are really nasty at times, aren' t they?

[face_frustrated]

I know how you feel. But your sketches are still fine... [:D]
  20. QueenMother_LK Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes they are. Esp when they make random noises when you're sleeping at night and it scares you [face_frustrated]

But thank you [:D]
  21. Kiyuuchan Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Those are really good, padawan [:D] You should be very proud ^__^
    Tho if you want harsher critique from me:

Your anatomy is fine. I can't really say anything on Siri apart from the left shoulder should be less broad as that part of her body is facing away. The pose is great ^__^ I really like that one.

On Mirax, I think you got the shape down overall, and the hair is really nice... despite the grey :p
    Tho her features should be more to the left, and the left eye should be a bit smaller and parallel to the right.
    But the 3/4 view is the hardest so I think you've done well ^__^

here is some good tutorials on face structure and features ^__^ It's anime again, but it does have the basic face shapes and strucure. I hope it is at least a bit useful ^____^
  22. AzureAngel2 Force Ghost

star 6
    Or they integrate silly stripes in ALL you want to scan in.

[face_frustrated]

We should found the club "I hate my printer, because...", dear queen.

And never worry in this thread about your art. In this place you grow like a healthy flower because there are nice folks with jolly good tips. You also have all the freedom to try yourself out and test new things.
  23. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Mirax! We don't see a lot of her in fan or pro art, so it's great to see this--well done! And Siri looks appropriately fierce here, with her ignited weapon in hand. I hear you on the scanner problem--mine doesn't scare me at night, but does make a mess of contrasts quite a lot (I don't usually have too much trouble with color, as I don't ever use it, lol!). The only resort is to use whatever imagining program you have available (Microsoft Picture It! works okay, as does the Dell Image Expert, for simple tonal and contrast changes--for more complex alterations/corrections, a more powerful program like Adobe or Corel offer would work, too), and try to correct things back to what it looks like in real life...that's what I end up doing with most scans. Best of luck with that (and see if you can get yourself one that won't wake you up at night! ;) )!

FF
  24. QueenMother_LK Jedi Master

star 4
    Kiyuuchan: Thanks master! [:D] Thank you for the criticism. I was trying to make the left eye different and I struggled with it, but I was scared to make her look googly-eyed, so I tried for a happy medium. but it definitely has bothered me. and thanks for the link:D

AzureAngel2: haha I would love to make that club! "I hate my printer because it growls like a hungry animal at me about an hour after I print something" [face_laugh] and thanks for the kind words! [:D]

FalconFan: I will try to readjust next time when I scan. I should have thought about that before. And thank you for the compliment. [:D] I want to do something with mirax and corran, but right now I think I'm going to do a Ben piece next.
  25. Iverna Force Ghost

star 4
    Hah, Siri looks like she means business! Really good job on that! Sorry to hear about the scanner messing up your colours--my old one used to do that and it really annoyed me. Adjusting it in a program like Photoshop usually works quite well, though.

I like Mirax as well, especially her "OMG!" expression! I have a tip for you about drawing eyes, though--what you have is fine, but if you add in a spot of white in the corner where the light's coming from, it will bring them to life more. It's just one of those simple tricks. If you draw her pupils as a a crescent-moon shape instead of round, and fill in a white spot in there instead, it really brings eyes to life. I suck at explaining, but I think you can see it if you look at the eyes closely here. I hope that makes sense and helps; just ask if it doesn't!

I'm looking forward to seeing your interpretation of Ben! [:D]
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.