main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Quenya-learn to speak elvish

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Jedi_Knight_Birr, Dec 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    some people in phoenix are going to try and learn to speak the language, and i was wondering if anyone up here was interested in learning the language. this is the thread here. so do we have any takers? choadsgirl is going to be sending me some stuff on it and i think the lessons as well. so speak up if you want to!

2. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Ok, when I went to see TTT last night I stayed till all the credits were done. And there is a sentance written in Elvish in the credits, and now I want to know what it means... so I suppose now I want to learn this :p

3. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    i am not sure if it will involve learning how to write the language as much as just learning to speak it. it will be really cool to be able to speak it if we get the sumer thing pulled off. Magt i "Force-use the force and such things.

but we might learn some writing. i havent been able to put a dent in the post about it. it is huge.

4. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    I want to learn!!! I know a lot of the words, but not written in the cool Elven letters.

5. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001
    I want to learn the Elvin form of......

"The RMFF, A Force To Be Reckoned With!"

6. StarBlazer

StarBlazer Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2001
    Oooh, that sounds awesome! I've been obsessed with elves forever, and it would be cool to learn Elvish, but I don't think I could cram something like that into my schedule right now. :( You'll have to show me your progress at future meetings! ;)

*SB*

7. The_Supreme_Jedi

The_Supreme_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 12, 2002
    I've always wanted to learn. Count me in!!!!

8. Micah333

Micah333 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 13, 2002
    If you read my post in 'something you don't know about me', you would see that I can already write Sindarin (the language of the grey elves), which is very similar to Quenya (the language of the high elves). Apart from a few consonant combinations, the only real difference is the placement of the vowels :)

9. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    *cough*nerd*cough*

;)

So Micah, do you think you can make a sign for me to hang on my door? It should say: Beware, roommate from Hell inside.

10. Micah333

Micah333 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 13, 2002
    LOL. I'll get right on it.

11. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    LMAO @ the nerd cough on a starwars board from it's longest running member!!!

12. alison_breeze

alison_breeze Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 14, 2002

I'd like to give it a try!! As time permits, of course, but hopefully... :)

I've noticed I have a growing obsess--... <cough> interest in elven stuff, the more times I go see TTT. (Only 5 times so far, but hey, there are plenty of weekends to go!) My latest inspiration is that I want some Elven wall hangings. ^_^ Pretty, pretty! Alas, the scenes in Arwen's room go by fairly quickly and I haven't managed to find screencaps online yet. There is also, of course, the issue of figuring out the best method to construct such hangings...

13. alison_breeze

Apr 14, 2002
    JGoC - I think I remmeber seeing a translation of that somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it up for you later. Right now though, there is that getting to work thing to do... :/

14. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    Speaking of seeing TTT again, some of us were thinking of seeing it after Saturdays meeting.

Alison, I'm stuck at number five, too. Cant wait to make it six.......

15. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Oo.. elven wall hangings! Good idea Alison!

16. alison_breeze

Apr 14, 2002

Class: Wow, but that post is LONG! I'm usually a fairly quick reader, but that took me a fair part of the evening to get through! So, it sounds like the actual lessons haven't started yet?

Namárië: I was downloading some random things the other night, and accidently grabbed what I think is a spoken copy of Galadriel's poem Namárië (spoken by some guy), thinking at the time that it was going to be music. If anyone is interested in a copy (pronunciation!), let me know. (And now I take a moment to be greatful that I didn't go ahead and delete the file after finding it wasn't music.)

Translation of sentence in credits: JGoC, I found the reference to a translated sentence from the TTT I was thinking of, but the language of this one was aparently Maori. (http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1041961874) I assume this wasn't the one you were asking about?

Elven wall hangings: Hey, if I can interest anyone else in working on the project with me, or even just discussing ideas... :) :) Just let me know. My latest thought on it regard ideas on how to translate an 8x11" drawing/screencap ect (not that I have one yet, but eventually!) into a size for a wall hanging. My current theory: put the design on a transparency, then go into work late one night or a weekend, project it on a screen, and trace that onto either butcher paper or the background cloth itself.

TTT #5: I would love to get together with people to see TTT this weekend - it depends on the time, though. I still have that wedding on Sat. It starts at noon, with a reception afterwards; I have no idea how long the whole thing will end up being. Any idea what showing you were thinking of?

17. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Mm... that brings back memories of Maori food. Wonderful stuff. And the atmosphere in which you eat it amazing! The floor show was brilliant.

And as for wall hangings, it sounds like a really cool idea. There are a couple ways I think this could be done. I don't really remember in detail what the ones on the movie look like, but I imagine there are a couple ways to creat one.

Quilting
    Applique
    Paint
    embroidery

The way I would start any of these projects is design on some graphing paper what you want. Include colors and everything. Make sure this is in the scale you want it.

Then it depends on the technique you want to use...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.