main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive Question about addiction stigmas

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by oreotragus, Jul 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oreotragus

oreotragus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2009
    Hi everyone :)

I have a character I am mentally creating. Somehow, in trying to think of how she would be different (not cookie cutter boring), it came upon me that she would be addicted to glitterstim spice. This was weird to me, but it stuck (unfortunately for the character).

Has anyone ever played a character that had a present or past spice addiction? I know this is a big drug in the SW galaxy. Would there be a lot of automatic stigma towards such a character?

Thanks!

2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    It would probably depend how spice addiction is supposed to manifest itself.

3. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Huh. I don't think I've seen a spice addict being played before,but I don't think - think - there would be much automatic IC hate for such a character, unless you happened to run across, say, a CorSec officer who jails glitbiters for a living. Most would likely give you a chance, unless of course your spice addiction actively hampers them in some way.

Unless you mean stigma from players? There shouldn't be any - IC is IC, OOC is OOC, after all.

4. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Yeah, I've never seen anything like that, but I wouldn't see why there would be any sort of stigma.

For some reason, this sounds kind of like it would be fun. :p

5. Chukles38

Chukles38 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 10, 2005
    It's true that an addiction like that is a weakness I haven't seen often, if at all. It's a great character concept, and go for it. Players shouldn't have a problem with it. There may be some dislike from the other characters in the game, but that's only reasonable. Drug abuse is often looked down upon in most cultures, so you may have to deal with that, but that's no reason not to make this character. :)

6. oreotragus

Jul 1, 2009
    Ok, thanks yall. (And I meant IC stigmas, I didn't expect people to hate me or anything for creating a drug addict character. If fact I may be the most innocent person IRL I know as far as drugs go, LOL)

JUST SAY NO! :)

7. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    I played a spice addict once in IBOP. It was a lot of fun writing him, because I just wrote as if he was always on edge and kinda crazy.

I wrote a brief fic from his perspective, which you can read here, though it's far from my best work.

If I ever start the Black Sun game I drafted up, I'm gonna need a whole lot of these kind of characters, I suppose.

EDIT: As for IC stigmas, which was the point of this thread, I don't figure there'll be a whole lot of that. The SW galaxy is quite shady really. And quite tolerant in many ways.

8. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    huh... that is a REALLY interesting character idea. i like it.

as everyone else has said, it would seriously depend on how the spice is effecting the character, and in turn how it will effect the characters he interacts with. however, i must say i look forward to seeing your interpetation of this.

9. oreotragus

Jul 1, 2009
    Well by all means, if anyone's interested in the character idea then take it and run with it, I would also like to see what other people could do with this concept!

10. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    DarkLordoftheFins played a great Cade Skywalker, addicted to death sticks, for a while in the AU Tatooine game. It made for a very interesting character :)

11. Sir_Draco

Sir_Draco Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 2007
    I tried myself on young Cade once and while it was fun, he incredible hard to play. But concerning an addiction stigmata, I think that is actually not used enough around here.

12. RaienKeth

RaienKeth Jedi Youngling

Oct 14, 2009
    I've never come across addiction stigma, at least with any of the decent roleplaying groups, which I have been fortunate enough to call a home away from home.

You'll get far more grief with a 'cliche' or worse Mary Sue character, imho than you ever will with someone who expresses genuine flaws.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.