main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question About Brakiss

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mayo_Solo, Sep 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mayo_Solo

Mayo_Solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    I was just wondering if ayone could tell me about Brakiss's history .

Also, could someone tell me inf he turned to the darkside in a book. And if so which book?

Thanx bunches

2. Jaina02

Jaina02 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 8, 1999
    We never see Brakiss turn to the dark side in a book. It is only mentioned in the first YJK series. As for history, I think you should read the YJK series to find it out, but I will give you a brief summary. Basically, Brakiss was sent by the Empire as a spy. Luke knew that he was a spy, but kept him in training because he thought that he could change him (a la Darth Vader). He sent him into a test that showed Brakiss his true self, and Brakiss couldn't handle it and turned to the dark side. Later he came back to destroy Luke with his own Jedi Academy, except that this academy was for Dark Jedi- The Shadow Academy.

3. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Actually, he turns to the dark side between books. Sometime between the Jedi Academy trilogy and Children of the Jedi, I think.

His first appearance was in the Young Jedi Knights books. He's in books 1-6 ( Heirs of the Force to Jedi Under Seige. )

His next appearance was in The New Rebellion, siding with the former Jedi Dolph Kueller.

He later had a cameo in the novel I, Jedi which takes place concurrently with the Jedi Academy trilogy, when he was still good and a trainee at Yavin 4.

You can find more info in the Dark Side Sourcebook and the Essential Chronology, but ignore that illustration in the latter book. That is NOT how he looks or as he is described in the novels. A more apt drawing is on a poster for the Star Wars Galaxy Magazine # 8, Summer 1996. He is young and has long blonde hair.

4. Mayo_Solo

Mayo_Solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    I read the YJK sries but missed a few books and so I was just wondring what I missed. Thnks for the information about him turning between books. I feel slightly less confused.

5. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    I was sure that I read about him in New Rebellion. I?m almost positive that he was a main character in that book. I think that his true history is tolled there. We even get to meet his mother, and I think she hits on Luke. He is described the same way he is in the YJK books. Someone, please tell me I?m not going crazy here.

6. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Read my post, Jedi.

7. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Wasn't New Rebellion first?

And that's why it was so weird that he was back in YJK

8. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Oops, sorry. I missed that sentence. (It?s late and I?m really tiered)

9. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    He first appeared in YJKs ( 1995 - 96 ) Not sure of what is revealed in those books, as I won't be actually reading them until next month - but I know the gist of the plots. ( 19 years ASW6 )

Next was NR in late 1996, which was set at 12 ASW6.

Then I, Jedi in 1998, concurrently with the JAT at 7 ASW6.

It kind of worked backwards. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a short story about Brakiss's background. The problem is, the Gamer fiction is too confined and short. It was all much longer in the Adventure Journals. ::sniff:: :_|

10. Dewlanna Solo

Dewlanna Solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 1999
    Just to confuse things a bit more. Brakiss may have been written about first in the YJK books, but The New Rebellion happens before the YJK.
    Then along comes I, Jedi written later than either the YJK or tNR, but happening first.
    When I read the YJK books, I felt like Brakiss "came out of nowhere" as if I'd missed some previous appearance. Then I read tNR and it seemed even more that I had missed his backstory.
    Stackpole, I think, tried to fix this up by giving Brakiss a past and some history with Luke. So folks who read the books in chronological order might feel less like they've missed something. But I still have the feeling there should have been more and have always wondered if Brakiss was in some comicbook.

11. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    Nice going Sturm! That's a cool poster in SWGM#8!!!

12. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Here what theThe Completely Unofficial Star Wars Encyclopedia has to say about Brakiss:

Brakiss
    a former student at Luke Skywalker's Jedi Academy on Yavin 4, Brakiss was fairly gifted with the Force. Brakiss was stolen from his family by the Imperial forces that occupied his homeworld, recognizing his potential for using the Force. He was reonditioned, and was later employed as a spy, sent to determine the extend of the threat posed by the renewal of the Jedi Knights under Luke Sywalker. When Luke sent Brakiss on an illusionary quest, Brakiss could not reconcile the Light and Dark Sides of the Force, represented by Luke's Academy and the Empire. He fled Yavin 4, and went into hiding until he was discovered by Dolph, another of the failed students of Skywalker's praxeum. Dolph had renamed himself Kuellar, and was developing his own scheme to take control of the galaxy. He set up Brakiss on Telti, overseeing an automated droid construction facility. Brakiss' droids were implanted with detonators that could be set off via a remote control help by Dolph/Kuellar. Dolph also used Brakiss as a way to lure Luke to Almania, where he planned to used Skywalker as bait. Brakiss fled back to Telti, where he hid among his droids. In the meantime, Brakiss' mother encountered Luke on Msst, and explained that Brakiss was waiting to kill him on Telti. The two battled on the desert moon, and Brakiss nearly turned back to the Light Side. He failed, and returned to the droids. The secluded life among the droids was shattered when Cole Fardreamer discovered the link between the detonation in the Senate Assembly Chamber on Coruscant and the rigged droids. He exposed Brakiss' part in the plot, and Brakiss fled once again. He later set up the Shadow Academy in the Core Systems. He did so out of his deep belief that the Jedi were needed to help preserve the order of the Empire, not the Republic. Brakiss looked forward to the day when the so-called Second Imperium would overthrow the New Republic, and when his Imperial Jedi were able to defeat Luke Skywalker's Jedi. When a reborn Emperor Palpatine began controlling the Second Imperium, Brakiss gladly bowed to his true master?s rule. However, the Emperor?s solitary nature and lack of respect for Brakiss? accomplishments disillusioned him. He became frustrated with the Emperor when he arrived at the Shadow Academy, shortly before the attack on Kashyyyk. After the deaths of Vonnda and Ra and Garowyn in the Kashyyyk jungles, Brakiss declared the mission a success because of the computer components they had stolen. He felt that the loss of the two Nightsisters was an accepted loss. In the wake of the raid on Kashyyyk, the Shadow Academy began gearing up for an attack on Yavin 4. Spurred on by Palpatine?s commands, Brakiss and Tamith Kai invaded the Jedi Academy?s defenses and nearly defeated Luke?s students. However, several setbacks suffered by Tamith Kai and Brakiss? Dark Jedi turned the battle in favor of the Jedi, and Brakiss appealed to Palaptine for direction. He discovered, though, that there was no Palpatine. The appearance of the Emperor was being perpetrated by four former Imperial Royal Guards. The Dark Side of the Force flooded Brakiss, and he quickly dispatched three of the four guards. The fourth escaped the Shadow Academy, but not before setting off the station?s self-destruct systems. Brakiss was unable to escape from the doomed station, and died in the explosion. Brakiss was distinguishable by his smooth skin, blond hair, and the uncanny perfection. (HTF, SA, TNR, DK, JUS)

No referance to I, Jedi though. It wasn't that big anyway. Just conferming the fact that he was there.

13. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    If one is reading the novels in chonological order, then they will be introduced to Brakiss in I, Jedi. However, to the best of my knowledge, Brakiss was introduced in the Young Jedi Knights books (YJK). He also appears in a supporting role in The New Rebellion, as Artoo, Threepio, and Cole Fardreamer's adversary. Dolth/Kueller is the main villian of TNR. As for when he turned to the Dark Side, that is hinted at in TNR. And so, to The New Rebellion, chapter 16, pages 153-154:
    "He wasn't a bad boy once, Luke Skywalker. Really he wasn't. He was this bright, wonderful baby. He fairly glowed with life." She stepped into the kitchen, her hands busy as she spoke. It wasas if talking abot her son made her restless. "Then they came."

"The Empire."

She nodeed. "They came into my home, looked at my boy, and they could use him. Him. A baby. And they took him from me."

Luke stood, about to go comfort her, when she started moving again.

"They let him come back for visits. But he never smiled after that. Not really. Not the kind that reached his eyes." She turned on the hydroprocessor. It made a quiet whirring sound. "They took something from him." She turned, leaned on the counter, and looked at Luke. "You tired to give it back to him, didn't you? At that academy. You tried to bring my baby back."

Luke was chilled. The Empire had taken Brakiss away as a baby, knowing that he was Force-sensitive. No wonder Brakiss couldn't face himself. The loss of self, of goodness, of warmth, was deeper than Luke could ever have guessed.

"I tried," Luke said. "I failed."

This would suggest that Brakiss had already been turned by the time he attended Luke's Jedi Academy. This would seem to be futher proven in the same chapter, pages 154-155:

"He wants you to find him, Luke Skywalker." She twisted her hands in front of her. "I think you should go home. Forget him. Nothing good can come of this. Whatever was good in my boy died a long, long time ago."

"No," Luke said. "It didn't die. It's just buried real deep." And would be harder to get to than it would with almost anyone else, because Brakiss's foundation in the dark side was never his choice, as it had been with Anakin Skywalker. The choice had been made for him before he even had conscious thought. "You know where he is, don't you?"

Again, this points to Brakiss already using the dark side when Luke first teaches him. And we also know that the Imps tried useing him as a spy, sending him in the guise of a Jedi student to the academy. What spy work he did is questionable. But we can assume that while he had been taught to use the dark side, Brakiss did not fully turn until after training at the academy. This assumption is based by the following, from chapter 19, page 179:

He hadn't changed. And he should have. It had been years. Brakiss had heard that Skywalker had almost died on board the Eye of Palpatine. Yet he looked the same. His scarred face still had a boyishness, his body was lean and powerful, and he had the same assurance he had always had.

The assurance he had had when he forced Brakiss to face the darkness.

Brakiss swallowed. Even thinking of that moment, alone, with only himself and the evils Skywalker had thrown at him, sent trembling explosive shivers through him. If Brakiss thought about it too much, he felt as if his brain would shatter. Brakiss had run from that test, run as fast as he could, and when he returned to his mother, he found her living in the shadow of the Empire. He had had to report, and he had, on the condition that they let him go.

His information had been valuable enough, and his mind damaged enough, that they had let him go. He had run until Kueller found him, and Kueller had put him together again.

For a price.

Skywalker.

This shows us that Luke had made Brakiss under go a test similar to the one Yoda put him through using the dark side cave/tree. Brakiss had failed the test, just as Luke had. But while Luke seemed willing to lea

14. NabooAdmiral

NabooAdmiral Jedi Youngling

Sep 23, 2001
    I always favored the idea that Brakiss realized his error at the very end. Anyone else think he was redeemed?

15. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    I think he was finally redeemed at the end, when he realized the entire Second Imperium was a farce, that the Emperor wasn't alive and hadn't been in years, that he had squandered his chances for a good life. He only had an instant to realize that, before the Shadow Academy joined the Death Star in the list of battle stations destroyed over Yavin, though. But I think that was enough.

16. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Damn, The New Rebellion really rocked.

17. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    Brakiss had good in him,when he encounters Luke Skywalker on Telti he sees luke is trying to help him but is afraid to face himself again so he battles with luke and finally gives up waiting for luke to strike him down and kill him as a release from his painfull life but luke wont do that and refuses to kill him, he finally warns luke about Kueller/Dolph and tells him not to go to Almania because he knows what kueller will do to him,he is even upset with himself after he tells kueller later and refuses to help him anymore ashamed of himself.

basically he is a mess and is manipulated by kueller but isnt corrupted yet not completely, he even turned away from the dark side when he knew that the empire had used him with its Shadow Academy redeeming himself with that rejection and being saved by himself.

18. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I don't think he ever redeemed, even at the end. You may be right about his being afraid to face the truth about himself, but I think he was a defeated Dark Jedi who knew that his life was over and meaningless. Sort of like Kaan and the other Sith Lords who created the thought bomb and committed suicide in Jedi vs. Sith #6.

19. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    I hated The New Rebellion. It was okay the first time ( a B I'd say ), but it was horrid the second time through. To me, it's on the same level as The Crystal Star. C+

20. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    Something that caught my attention in The New Rebellion was a throw-away line by Kueller along the lines that Brakiss was the strongest of his Force-sensitive agents. I always suspected that the main Dathomiri Nightsister featured in the YYK books was another of Kueller's agents. However, I took Kueller's throw-away line to imply three or more of his "subjects" were Force sensitive. So I wonder who they all were and how many were there?

21. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Actually JediAlly, read the Dark Forces novels, for the conclusion of the J Vs. S story(actually J vs S is based on Dark Forces: jedi knight backstory). Were kyle and the prophecy for which he was chosen to complete frees all the spirits, both good and bad, and including Lord Jerec to return to the force free of guilt or eternal pain.

22. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    "(actually J vs S is based on Dark Forces: jedi knight backstory)."

It was created for the sole purpose to fix the one lime in TPM. "The Sith have been extinct for a mellinia." They just used the already existing semi-back story about the Sith being destroyed on Ruusaan as seen in the Dark Forces games/novels. But don't think it was created to just show the backstory for Dark Force. :(

23. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Jedi Knight was about the power trapped in the Valley of the Jedi

Dietz, in his adaptation, tried to explain where that power came from. He wrote about a huge series of battles between the Jedi and the Brotherhood of Darkness, which were said to have taken place hundreds of years ago.

TPM mentioned the Sith being gone for a millennia.

KJA and Dan Wallace, in the essential Chronology, tied the reference to the event.

Jedi vs. Sith fleshed it out. As well as, to a lesser extent, Bane of the Sith and Darkness Shared.

24. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    I guess.

25. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    What do you mean you "guess"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.