main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question about Coruscant

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Jedi_Lover, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    At the end of TTT Luke and Mara are on the roof of the Palace at Imperial City. A year later comes Dark Empire. The start of of the book it makes it sound like the NR is trying to gain control of Imperial City. It said "A recent raid on the city-world by the forces of the New Republic has ended in disaster." But Wookieepedia says the NR was defending at that time and eventually evacuated the Planet. Did Dark Empire happen after the NR evacuated. To be honest it almost sounds like the Dark Empire people didn't read TTT and didn't know Coruscant was in NR control. I am writing a fic happening right between 9 and 10 ABY and I am confused.

Edited to clarify question.

Mav Edit: Since the question has been fully answered I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread.

2. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    It could just be an awkward continuity goof. Dark Empire and Thrawn Trilogy were written right around the same time and might have had some inconsistencies that didn't get caught (I haven't read DE though, so I can't say for sure). But the book where the New Republic finally gains control of Coruscant (X-wing #2) wasn't written until a couple years later, even though it's set a couple years earlier in the universe. Unless they somehow lost Coruscant and got it back between Wedge's Gamble and Dark Empire, I'd say the DE allusion is a mistake.

3. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Great, if that is true that there was a continuity mistake then I can't really keep the story as close to canon as I would like. Oh well, it is an AU so I will do my best. I wish Dark Empire was Infinities. Thanks for your help!

4. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    Oh, wait! I love Wookieepedia. Check out Imperial Mutiny.

The start of the section 'Imperial unrest on Coruscant':
    In 10 ABY the surviving Imperial warlords, encouraged by what Grand Admiral Thrawn had so recently accomplished with so little and in such a short time, agreed to organize under the Imperial Ruling Council for an offensive thrust into the Galactic Core. The New Republic could not match the military might of the re-unified Empire, and after a short, decisive campaign the Empire had retaken the former Imperial Center in the Fourth Battle of Coruscant.

5. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    Pretty much. The Imperials reorganized under the IRC (and unknown to them at the time, the Emperor) and hit Coruscant while much of the NR military was away from the Core trying to mop up after the Thrawn campaigns. The NR evacuated, Coruscant fell, and afterwards the various factions of the Empire went at each others' throats in the Mutiny (again, all according to Palpatine's plan - he wanted to cull the weak out of his forces). The "failed raid" in the opening crawl of Dark Empire refers to a raid Luke, Lando, and Wedge made on Coruscant in a captured Imperial Star Destroyer that went bad, requiring the rescue mission by Han and Leia seen in the first few pages.

6. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks DarthCane. That opening crawl was what confused me at first because it almost sounded like Coruscant had never been in control by the rebels. Thanks for clearing that up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.