main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question about Decipher and license

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Anakin_Solo73, Jan 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anakin_Solo73

Anakin_Solo73 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2001
    First, Reflections Gold was completed and approved by Lucasfilm.

Second, if Reflections Gold was approved, then it was approved under the old contract as Lucasfilm would not approve the product.

Third, Decipher has until April 30th to continue to print all old and approved product. (This is correct, isn't?)

If all of these are true, then Decipher should have the ability to produce Reflections Gold in the PDF format because it was created and approved by Lucasfilm under the old contract.

Am I missing something here? This could make a very good court arguement.

2. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    you're mising one key element. Decipher cannot give it away for free. They must charge $ for it, and by contract, probably a certain amount.

3. Darksteps

Darksteps Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2001
    One thing you should keep in mind about LFL, Lucas, and anything that's his IP(Intellectual Property), he'll always leave a loophole in his contracts that will allow him to breach or reneg on... it is his IP, so he can take his ball and go home when he wants... legally...

Obviously you can tell by my analogy that I currently hold LFL and Lucas in low opinions right now...

Darksteps...

4. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    But the key element you are missing, Darth, is that Decipher can no longer contractually print and sell cards HENCE the reason they wanted to put them in .pdf format.

The reason LFL said "no" was because they knew players would print them out and continue to play the SWCCG and thus not buy the new game. Like 100/200 new cards really matter. Players are going to play the SWCCG over wotc's game anyway. One of my fellow SMs reported SIX new players at his tourny last week. Why? With no new expansions coming players now have the time to catch up. I really think that this whole thing has been a blessing in disguise. I actually think that the SWCCG is going to GROW in popularity and solidify itself in the Pantheon of the Best CCGs Ever Made (if it hasn't already).

5. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
  6. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    Red84,

Don't read too much into that. Sure, you might see an increase in new players for a period of time for the reasons you mention (didn't I already predict that somewhere else??) but eventually the game will die, for one simple reason: no product to buy. Once SW:CCG is off the shelf, where will a new player go to buy cards? Sure, they can get cards off ebay or from older players if they're REALLY DESPERATE to play the game (which many of them aren't) but at some point even that will die off.

So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if we see an increase in new players in the short term. But in the long term even the existing players are going to get bored with their old cards and quit playing. It's the nature of a CCG ... you have to have a constant influx of new cards, or the game gets stagnant.

I don't mean to sound nihilistic. I still love this game and I plan to continue running SW:CCG tournaments in my area as long as people show up. But I'm not optimistic about the long-term future of the game.

7. youngvader

youngvader Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 21, 1999
    I agree with Red84. Finally, no more cards to buy. Only enjoying the game.

That being said, I did not play SW since LOTR came out, but that's another story. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.