main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question about Del Rey Books

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BobaKareu, Oct 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaKareu

BobaKareu Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 24, 2005
    I know that Del Rey originally wanted to bring the Sith back in the New Jedi Order series, but Lucas wouldn't let them. So they settled with the Yuuzhan Vong instead.

Now, I loved the Yuuzhan Vong. So I have no qualms about that.

My question is, what changed Lucas's mind about letting the Sith return? Obviously, something had to have happened to allow a reemergence of the Sith, especially after he said no several years back.

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Um...he...didn't change his mind.

3. Rohniss

Rohniss Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2005
    Probally he wanted to get his last movie out first.

4. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    If you're referring to the predicted plots of Legacy of the Force, well, we're not sure exactly what's up with stuff there. According to Leland Chee, Lumiya still isn't a Sith (though I don't know why she couldn't be - save that Lucas thinks that killing all the Sith would bring balance to the Force - I still haven't figured out what he means by "balance" and I don't think he knows, either...), so technically the Sith aren't coming back. Maybe. We think. ;)

- Keralys

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>According to Leland Chee, Lumiya still isn't a Sith<<

She's not a Sith Lord.

6. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    I thought he meant Sith in general, though I guess not.

Maybe I'm being retarded here, but I don't understand why she's called Dark Lady of the Sith but she's not a Sith. It can't be a mere honorific - that's like Danni Quee calling herself a Jedi Knight when she's only Force-sensitive.

Sev'rance Tann was never called a Sith because she was only an acolyte. So if Lumiya is not a Sith, then why isn't she called a Sith acolyte or whatever?

Traditionally, even female Sith were referred to as Lords (Kreia, Zannah, Githany, etc.). So why is Lumiya a Sith Lady? What does that imply?

7. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    A slight shift in doctrine would be my take on it, not unlike what Dooku had in mind for his and Sidious's "Empire of Man," once the Jedi were finally disposed of, or converted.

From my perspective, there simply is no distinction between being a "Dark Lady" or a "Dark Lord" -- a Sith is a Sith is a Sith, once accepted, vetted, and indoctrinated, and this is probably a product of the times and some outside-the-box scheming by Vader and Shira left over from those years. (And we saw plans afoot for tearing down the "Rule of Two" in the Stover novel anyhow, which leaves the door open for all manner of new takes on the ancient rites.)

Figure on this whole thing getting explained/resolved this coming year, likely as not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.