main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question about Digital Versions of the films and extra content.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Steve_Dave, Apr 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve_Dave

Steve_Dave Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 13, 2005
    A while back there was a poll talking about the Star Wars films and digital projectors. I thought one of the choices mentioned that digital versions of the film had extra content or would have extra content?

Are there finished seens out there that aren't on the DVDs?

-Confused

2. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    AFAIK, there was no digital TPM, and the only things ever added onto it were what was done for the DVD: the air taxi scene, the extended pod race, those things. I don't think the digital AotC was extended so much as tweaked, with some things like Padmé taking Anakin's robotic hand in the last shot; it's the digital version, not the theatrical, that's presented on the DVD. If the finished anything that's not on either DVD, it's never been anywhere else, either.

-Paul

3. Steve_Dave

Feb 13, 2005
    So if I ever get the DVD then I will get to see the changes?

Thanks.

4. darth_paul

Apr 24, 2000
    Do you have the VHS right now? I think the original theatrical version of TPM was released on VHS but only the digital AotC has ever been out there. If you only saw them in the theater and your theater was not digital, then yes, it will be chaned from what you've seen.

The DVD versions are the most changed versions out there in terms of adding content (though the IMAX AotC had a lot of deletions obviously not reproduced elsewhere).

5. Steve_Dave

Feb 13, 2005
    "If you only saw them in the theater and your theater was not digital, then yes, it will be chaned from what you've seen."

Cool, then if I get the DVD's there will be something new to see. Small and not that big of a deal but still new.

"(though the IMAX AotC had a lot of deletions obviously not reproduced elsewhere)."

What do you mean?

6. darth_paul

Apr 24, 2000
    Yes, the new stuff is rather fun to see. :)

There was a version of AotC done for IMAX. As AotC is over 2:20 and there is apparently a two-hour time limit for IMAX movies. Thus, there was a significantly cut version of AotC produced for IMAX theaters only. I've never seen that version, and I wouldn't count on its ever seeing the light of day anywhere, but it's interesting to know about. Some people swear by it, think it made the movie too better. Me, I don't think I'd feel that way; I think AotC was too short and should have had some of the deleted material like the scenes with Padmé's family restored.

Ooh, there's something else about the DVDs. They both include scenes cut from the films, some of which, especially most of the AotC ones, are quite good and interesting. They're not integrated into the films, but on the discs separately. They're great to watch and imagine in the film.

-Paul

7. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    who else thought something was different at the end of aotc before knowing lucas had tweaked it? i had seen the film version many times till i figured it out after seeing the digital version only twice, it was so subtle

8. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I noticed the changes right away.

9. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    I had heard of the changes before I had seen the DVD, so I can't really speculate whether I would have noticed or not.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.