main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question about EU continuity

Discussion in 'Literature' started by EnriqueH, Jul 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2001
    I imagine this topic has been created before, but I tried putting continuity in the search engine and got slathered with hundreds of posts that just wouldn't be practical to sort through. I tried reading a few, but it confused me even more. It was like walking in the middle of a conversation. So...on to my question, but a quick piece of background first.

I've recently gotten into the EU and I'm reading them chronologically...I've read Bakura through Iron Fist, and while I wait for Solo Command to arrive, I've read Darth Maul Sabateur and I'm in the process of reading Cloak of Deception.

QUESTION
    I have heard that there are continuity errors in some of the books. Is there a site that has a listing on them? If not, are there any big, glaring continuity errors I should watch out for and that have a explanation?

2. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    You're refering to NJO-class books. Where Jedi were Knights in one book, a Master in the next, back to Knight in the following. It gets better from there, and funnier.

3. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    If they don't stand out, don't worry about it. You'll enjoy the books better if you don't have to worry about continuity errors.

4. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I'm sure Val will have a detailed report book to book.

I know in Dark Journey they refer to Kyp Durron as Kip, or something like that.

There are quite a few especially when certain wars took place. I think the Thrawn Trilogy has the amount of time since the clone wars wrong.

-Seldon

5. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    I must be thick if I didn't pick up on the Kip in Dark Journey. But that's what you need to make it through that book. How often was it?

6. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    Yeah, especially if you get his name wrong :p

7. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    The biggest of all time was Tales of the Bounty Hunters declaring that Jaster Mereel was Boba Fett. He changed his name and became a bounty hunter. [face_laugh] It's not really the authors fault because he knew nothing of Ep. II in 1996.

8. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    I know in Dark Journey they refer to Kyp Durron as Kip, or something like that.

I believe that's a typo over a continuity error. A continuity error would have been to say Kyp was older than Luke, ten years old, female, a Bothan, or something along those lines. A phonetic spelling of his name is not a continuity error as it doesn't change how his name is pronounced or what it is. If you have the NEGtC, take a look on page 61 at how his name is pronounced. You'll see it's the same as the DJ typo. Though the typo does not show that the Y in Kyp is pronounced with a short I sound.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    There aren't many errors that will jump out at you, usually just minor ones in certain details that you'll probably glance over.

Thrawn Trilogy makes a couple Clone Wars references that might not seem right at first (as it uses a different cloning technology other than the Kaminoan one, for example) or a certain timeline reference or two that wouldn't seem to add up right (mainly resulting from the book using an older prequel trilogy timeline that Lucas changed his mind about later on).

Anything that might pop up in between usually has an explaination/continuity fix available in another source (the many hands involved with the Death Star or Boba taking the aforementioned Jaster name as an alias, for example).

IMO, there really aren't many major problems that will stick out, and if any do- feel free to post your question here; someone here almost certainly have an answer or two for you ::)

10. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    The basic answer to your question is that there are not many major errors, but there are so many in general, that they are not all listed anywhere.

In order to actually understand why they exist, you would need to read all the book in order of publication rather than chronological. For example, that way you know why a certain character is not mentioned in some book they should have been, probably because they did not exist yet.

11. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    I counted nearly twenty typos in Heirs of Earth. but I gather that book was rushed to press, after waiting a long year while Force Heretic went out.

I don't want to imagine what proof reading went into something the absurd size as the Night's Dawn Trilogy.

Can anyone tell me how the naked god stopped the possessed in that final book, by any chance? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.