main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question about exporting your fanfilm for use on DVD??

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DarthRaze, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthRaze

DarthRaze Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2002
    I have finished my fanfilm and several other featurettes to place on a DVD. I currently have software called DVD X Maker that allows me to import video and then create menus. The movie itself was created and edited in Premiere 6.5. My question is to those people placing their movies on DVD. Are you exporting your movies in an uncompressed format and then using something like TMPGen to separate the audio and video. Is audio and video separation even necessary before I import my movie to DVD X Maker? Is there a particular codec that is good to export in just for DVD? Premiere 6.5 has a DVD export function but does not offer menu creation capability that I need. I don't plan on placing this on the web just yet but would probably use Ryan W's compression method.

2. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    I would think all of those questions would be answered by the manual that comes with the program.

To sum up, each program has it's own quirks about how it accepts incoming files. But to answer your compression question, always.. ALWAYS work uncompressed throughout the ENTIRE production cycle. Do not compress your footage until it's going online, period.

3. DarthRaze

Jun 6, 2002
    Believe it or not. 321 Studios did not ship a manual with there software. The box came with just the software and the help files leave much to be desired. I guess like the rest of my project I will just have to experiment by trial and error.

4. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    check the CD for a digital manual or somewhere in the help files for a manual. maybe check out your local book store for a book on the program or search google for a user's guide or maybe the company that makes the program's site. there should be something.

the only question i can answer is that *usually* dvd programs like to use MPEG2 and that is the format of most dvds...

good luck.

5. LtlLake

LtlLake Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 19, 2003
    MPEG2 is the standard format DVD compression, however, DVD compilation programs such as yours often accept many different kinds of formats (mpg, mov, avi, etc) and will automatically transcode the video and audio to the necessary format when creating your DVD. If you can I would suggest outputting your movies from premiere in an uncompressed or near lossless compression in the quicktime format, then open your DVD software and see if it will allow you to import a Quicktime file. From there it will transcode everything for you. Personally, I do use TMPGEnc to convert my uncompressed files to MPEG2, then place those files in Adobe Encore, and tell the software not to further transcode the files since its already been done. I use this method because TMPGEnc allows me to have much greater control over my compression process and yields better results than most "automatic" compressors. But for your purposes, I really don't think any of that should be an issue. Just export from Premiere in a format that you DVD software accepts, and once its in imnported, it will transcode everything for you. I hope I didn't confuse you.

-Laker

6. DarthRaze

Jun 6, 2002
    I actually had already exported the movie from Premiere in Microsoft DV format which is uncompressed. The file ended up being about 3.4 gB. DVD X Maker encoded it in a little over 1 1/2 hours. Will see what it looks like when I get the menus all set up and burned. Thanks for the input.

7. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.