main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question about Imperial defectors.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by johnthejedi24, Apr 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnthejedi24

johnthejedi24 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2004
    How were they treated if they go over to the other side but the Rebel Alliance knows that they have vaped fellow rebels in the past? Does this influence the perspective of the rebels on a defecting Imps sincerity? I kno that some former imperials like Crix Madine and Fel killed lots of Rebs but they did not seem to have had any trouble being absorbed into the Alliance/New-Republic. I know, war is war and people kill on both sides, but how would an average rebel feel if say a top Imp pilot defected who they knew took out a transport filled with thousands of troops and support staff that was evacuating a planet or a soldier who personally has a marking on his rifle for every rebel he's killed?

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Madine and Fel weren't known for their atrocities; they fought "fairly." If someone like, say, Tarkin defected, I imagine it would be much harder because of his bad reputation.

3. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    What? Fought fairly?

Refresh your memory as to what Madine was doing on Dentaal; Darksaber.

4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Madine defected on Dentaal I point out.

mon Mothma seemed to have a patholical hatred of them

5. johnthejedi24

Oct 12, 2004
    I don't have darksaber and I have not read it in years. What is the Dentaal incident?

6. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    And what was he doing that prompted his career change?

7. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Seeding the Candorian Plague, IIRC. Their actions caused the death of ten billion people, and Madine faked his death and fled to the RA.

8. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Madine refused the order despite it coming from the Emperor himself.

9. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Well, according to Visionaries, Mon Mothma lost a son to the Empire, and it was Crix, an Imperial defector, who told her of the loss.

That'd do it I think. ;)

10. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    They touched on this subject in Wraith Squadron, I think. It was when Wedge started using the cpatured Corvette's TIEs. He found out two of the ship's crew were ex-Imp fighter pilots, but had no kills. He expressed relief, because it could've made for some very hard feelings.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I suppose it depends on what the person has to offer. Grand Admiral Grant didn't really defect, but he was allowed to retire with immunity from trial.

12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    But he was watched for the next few decades in secret. shrug.

most imp defectors were just screened for major atrocities and then used - the Imp infrastructure was taken by the NR, not replaced...many governors and so forth were used under the NR

13. johnthejedi24

Oct 12, 2004
    Thanks for all the help.

14. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    There were definitely some hard feelings among the pilots when Fel defected for a time... but overall, they still let him fly, and managed to keep it friendly...

you do have to remember that in the early days of the rebellion, probably a good chunk of the rebellion military was made up of defectors from the empire - soldiers and pilots like Biggs, Tycho, etc... those who had seen what the empire was truly about, and decided to fight it.

as time went on and the empire was defeated, i would imagine that people who defected later on might have been viewed as less idealist and more survival/opportunistic (ie.. continue to work for a dying empire or join up with the new winners)

15. johnthejedi24

Oct 12, 2004
    Well wouldn't you surrender or defect if you know that you're on the losing side of a war that can not be won.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    No.

Some of us follow a code of honor. It's what makes us gentlemen.

17. Brett_Bass

Brett_Bass Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2003
    Roger that.

18. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Parck more than hints that there were cases just like Fel's, in which Imperial defectors to the Rebellion ended up in the EotH (could that have happened to the Tantor brothers of Force Commander fame?)

19. benTantilles

benTantilles Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2003
    actually, in the case of high-profile Imp defectors like Fel, there's actually a LOT of resentment that brews up over the issue. When Fel defected, Stackpole dedicated a fair amount of time in the post-In The Empire's Service comics to illustrate some of the difficulties pilots from both sides experienced from defecting, such as Nrin's (or one of the Rogues) vocal opposition to Fel's defection and, more interestingly, Fel's dilemma with the defection himself, which manifested through ways like requesting for the TIE kills he scored in Rogue Squadron not to be painted on his x-wing's hull, as per standard Rogue procedure (speaking of which... have you SEEN the number of TIEs the Rogues have painted on their hull? those guys are incredible!).

20. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Haven't some of them moved to 1 TIE = 10 or something?

I imagine Wedge's entire nose cone should have been painted over. Keyan could probably do the same.

21. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    I wonder if Fel ever met with Wedge again after the Vong War?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.