main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question about Obi-Wan in ANH

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth_Mike_321, Aug 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Mike_321

Darth_Mike_321 Jedi Youngling

Aug 19, 2005
    When Obi-Wan rescues Luke from the sandpeople in ANH, he tells Luke that he never had any droids, but he obviously did in the prequel trilogy. Is the reason for him saying that because:

a.) George Lucas wasn't planning on making a prequel trilogy back then, so in 1977 it was true.
    b.) He had forgotten about them.
    c.) He was lieing.

Can somebody please help me?

2. Agent_SkywalKer

Agent_SkywalKer Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 28, 2005
    C.

And R2 and 3PO were never technically his. He also lied about Vader wanting Luke to have his saber.

3. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    "I don't seem to remember ever owning a droid"

a) even if he ever owned a droid, he wouldn't really lie saying ^that, because he merely "doesn't seem to remember"
    b) Obi-Wan never owned a droid. Jedi only own their lightsabers. Everything else belongs to the Jedi Temple (and during the Clone Wars probably something to the Republic)

and I'm sure we have enough threads abour Obi-Wan and droids... let's see if I can find one...

4. Darth_Ogawa

Darth_Ogawa Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    Excellent points there, TwiLekJedi.

Also, since Obi-Wan doesn't like flying all that much, I guess he never saw R-4 as being personally important to him. R-4 was probably just another piece of equipment to bother with during flying missions.

So I guess Obi-Wan means he never had any droids that he kept around him all the time as opposed to those others who keep them around always as personal assistants/buddies.

5. Dancing_Lightsabers

Dancing_Lightsabers Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2005
    I always thought he was having some fun teasing R2, playing around with him: Loose-wire jokes. ;)

6. Master_Mace_Windows

Master_Mace_Windows Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2005
    Oh! this is the toaster i used to make toast with 20 years ago!*

their just machines...at the very end.

7. PhotoGuitarist

PhotoGuitarist Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2002
    Even though it wasn't intended at the time. Look at how Obi-Wan looks at R2
    and then says "Come here my liitle friend" It almost implies he remembers
    R2 very well. However R2 does not reconize Obi-Wan right away due to him aging
    very badly over the years.

8. Darth_Mike_321

Darth_Mike_321 Jedi Youngling

Aug 19, 2005
    I also think R2 didn't recognize him because him and C3P0 had their memories erased.

9. sepharih

sepharih Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2005
    Even though it wasn't intended at the time. Look at how Obi-Wan looks at R2
    and then says "Come here my liitle friend" It almost implies he remembers
    R2 very well. However R2 does not reconize Obi-Wan right away due to him aging
    very badly over the years.

Actually I think that's just Obi-wan being Obi-wan. I really honestly don't think he remembers R2 when he first see's him so he really doesn't remember ever owning a droid.
    But he does figure it out when R2 plays back the message and he realizes who's contacting him.

Evidence:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/Sepharih/BenR2.jpg]

Just look at the third frame and tell me that's not a reaction shot. He just made the connection when he realizes who the droids belong too.

10. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    The line about the lightsaber is true... His father would have wanted him to have it... Anakin Skywalker would have loved for his son to have his lightsaber...

11. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    Or d.) a lot of what Obi-Wan tells Luke is from a ceratin point of view.

12. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    What Obi-Wan tells Luke in ANH we have to take with a grain of salt and he is conciously decpetive to him, wanting him to follow in his father's footsteps.

Then, he just justifies himself.

That's Obi for you.

13. Cheshire_

Cheshire_ Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2005
    I didn't think R2-D2 ever had his memory wiped, just C3PO - I believe he got it done twice.

When you think about it Obi didn't exactly have a close relationship with R2, and he definitely wasn't Obi's property. So he's right when he says he doesn't seem to remember owning a droid - he never did.

14. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Obviously the answer is that in 1977 Lucas had not written for Obi Wan to have encountered R2 or owned a droid before, however he designed the prequels to be able to have an alternate explaination contrived, such as the options discussed here.

15. sepharih

sepharih Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2005

Obviously the answer is that in 1977 Lucas had not written for Obi Wan to have encountered R2 or owned a droid before, however he designed the prequels to be able to have an alternate explaination contrived, such as the options discussed here.

No offense, but duh. That's not an answer though. The question is how or why it happens in the way it happens from the viewpoint that ANH picking up where ROTS leaves off. So while it's true in all likely hood that Lucas didn't intend for R2 to have met Obi-wan before hand in ANH, that doesn't explain anything in the context of the films. There has to be an explination, the question is what's the explination.
    I personally agree with the presumption that R2 was not Obi-wan's property, Obi-wan never technically owned a droid, and afer 20 years an astromech droid was doubtfully on his mind very much, even if it belonged to Anakin. He doesn't recognize R2, do to the fact that R2 isn't exactly unique in appearance.
    He only recognizes him when he realizes who has sent R2, then he makes the connection. I'm unsure what the original intention of the shot was, but it was Obi-wan clicking to something when he saw the hologram. After ROTJ I interpereted it as to him clicking that it was Leia, Luke's sister who sent the droid. Now I view it as him realizing both Leia sent the droid, and the droid is R2.
    It makes his long pause afterwards that much more prominent, because he has realized that it is time at last for him to return from his Exile, the force has given him a sign.

16. mynameismyown

mynameismyown Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    i agree the jedi don't own anyhing, anyways the only real plot hole is leia remembering her mother

17. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Plenty of threads discussing Leia remembering her mother, do we really need to bring that up here too?

When you make sequels before prequels some inconsistencies are bound to crop up. However, I'm willing to accept the explanation that technically Jedi didn't own anything except their lightsabers...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.