main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Question about old Marvel comic

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Fett-One, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Fett-One

Fett-One Jedi Master

Aug 7, 2005
    I recently started reading the old Marvel comics for the first time. I just finished reading issue 38, which had Luke and Leia accidentally travel so far outside the galaxy that they couldn't see any stars.

From my understanding, there is suppose to be some sort of barrier that prevents ships from leaving the galaxy. My question is, has there ever been an explanation for how they were able to leave the galaxy? I know Luke said the hyperdrive malfunctioned due to damage but I was curios if an explanation beyond that was ever given.

2. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    drugs

I think that issue really missed out on the revival of Marvel elements in the late '00s and early '10s. Shame because... although it's not a great issue per se (neat art though) it was genuinely breaking new territory that was dabbled with much later.

3. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I just started reading Ye Olde Marvel books for the first time. Zany fun. I find it hilarious that the later EU decided to take them canonically seriously rather then leave them in their own Marvelverse..

Iron_lord and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Them not being able to see any stars is actually more an indication that they hit some kind of weird nebula that would block their vision. Alternatively they actually managed to shoot themselves into Otherspace.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Otherspace

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. Fett-One

Fett-One Jedi Master

Aug 7, 2005
    I was thinking the same thing. Some of these stories are too weird to be considered canon, given the more serious tone of the movies and books.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Cody Sunn-Childe is probably near the high end of the weirdness scale.

Jedi Knight Fett and EternalHero like this.
  7. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    They ended up in The Void between different Galaxies, not Otherspace. The unidentified, eons-old ship confirms it in the final panel. Incidentally, this comic is still almost the only source that offers a visual depiction of a different Galaxy (in the flashback), and in an infinite Universe there's no reason for it to be retconned as being the Vong's native Galaxy, nor with this having anything to do with the Silentium-Abominor War. Anyways, here's the relevant panels:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014
    That's the only empire strikes back prequel canon anyone needs

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    The thing about most sci-fi is that the longer a franchise runs, the more you end up with these types of "experimental" Twilight Zone/Outer Limits stories. Like Tilotny Throws a Shape or TCW's Mortis arc. And usually they're fine on their own -- they're sort of special for the very reason that they're literary islands of WTF???.

Unless another author comes along and tries to use them for a larger plot. Then they sort of loose their mystical appeal. I don't want another story about the gremlin at 20,000 feet as much as I don't want to see the Void ship return for a larger plot.

Gorefiend, Vthuil and Iron_lord like this.
  10. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Marvel is weird and bizarre.

It's also terribly fun.

And we need more giant green space rabbits and albino Drow martial-artists than murder-snake Zerg-Aztecs.

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Why can't we have all three? :(

Barriss_Coffee and Iron_lord like this.