main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question about Padawans

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by RanPaltine, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RanPaltine

RanPaltine Jedi Master

Jun 25, 2005
    I was wondering about the Padawans. Obi-Wan and Anakin had a certain haircut as Padawans. Did this same 'cut apply to female humans? What did other species of Padawan's showcase to signify they were still Padawans? Did the same apply for the Younglings?

I was wondering because Bariss is the only other Padawan I can think of and I never would have figured she was one until I read a profile on her back when AOTC came out. Do the PT films show any other Padawans?

2. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Good question.
    If the hair is an indicator, what do Twileks do? Or Zabaraks?

I'd be interested in this as well.

3. LukeGroundwalker

LukeGroundwalker Jedi Master star 3

Jun 6, 2005
    I don't think that hairstyle applies to all padawans, I think it is a representation but not a requirement.

BTW, Zabraks grow hair.

4. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    i believe that is the hairstyle of all human padawans.

5. The-D

The-D Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2005
    I think the braid is a traditional padawan braid for human species.

Side note: I think Qui-Gon had the best damn Jedi Hairstyle though.

6. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    According to EU sorces, the braid is symbolic for a Padawan. It doesn't specify, however (at least not to my knowledge) what species that don't have hair do instead.

7. The-D

The-D Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2005
    They have "Jedi Newb" tattooed on their forehead, if a forehead applies to their species.

8. Minela

Minela Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2005
    I think all human males have the braid once they are Padawans. Younglings don't have the braids. Human femals don't realy have a particular Padawan hairstyle. As for other specis, I think they just mirror their masters. I think.

9. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Looks like that braid was a traditional thing for human males only, although Anakin's really the only one we see wearing one. Obviously species that don't have hair wouldn't be able to show their status the same way.

How common are cross-species Master-padawan relationships? Has this ever been settled? (The thread title is vague enough that this shouldn't count as taking it off topic.)

10. syferdiasisalie

syferdiasisalie Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2004
    I remember the Younglings having braids...one of us is crazy, hopefully not me.

11. RanPaltine

RanPaltine Jedi Master

Jun 25, 2005
    Maybe not. I vaguely remembered a Youngling with a braid but didn't include it since I wasn't sure.

If the braid is for human males only it would be a little odd. Why would the males be so special as to have such a tradition?

Maybe the species without hair have some sort of indication on their body or something that would be the equivalent of hair that can be cut and grow back. I can't think of what but there should be an equivalent.

-Ran
    Thinks of young Yoda with a Padawan braid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.