main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Question about Psychologists

Discussion in 'Community' started by beezel26, May 8, 2014.

1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I have a friend who has been seeing a therapist for five years. Normally I wouldn't complain about therapist cause I saw one for a two years when I was younger. I stopped going cause I didn't like my new therapist I was assigned. But I got the help I needed and the training to understand my problems and overcome them. Plus I growing up helped a whole lot.
    My question is though is five years excessive? Is it possible that after a few years doctors just want to milk your insurance to give them a steady paycheck. He still sees the guy and some of his behavior isn't all that different from before. Is it possible the doctor is doing very little or is the patient's fault. Does he need to grow up and realize a therapist can't solve all your problems. Or is it the therapist that is ignoring that advice and instead taking advantage of him to keep him as a client. Giving him a bit of help just enough to keep him coming back. Oh and yes my friend takes antidepressants.

2. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I suppose the answers to those questions are between your friend and his therapist. Why do you want to know?

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Five years is not at all excessive. Some people need ongoing, long-term care. There isn't one set duration of treatment--it depends solely on the client's individual needs. Basically, take your nose out of your friend's business.

4. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    I agree with harpua 100%. Even happy people can benefit from talking therapy. I've been going for many years, and not just during times of crisis. There are definately times when I feel like I've got nothing to talk about, but more often than not I leave a with a renewed perspective. I'm eternally grateful for my therapist - sometimes it takes a long time to find one you click with.

Don't worry about how long you friend has been in therapy. You should be happy he's always got someone to talk to, whether he's anxious/depressed or happy as can be.

Edit: Also, if your friend still exibits the same unhealthy behavior, it may not not be therapist's fault. You only get what you put into it - when I was younger I was very often dishonest with my therapist about what I was up to. As a result, I got nothing out of it. I'm very open with the one I have now and it has improved my quality of life immensely.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  5. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Everyone's different. I know a few psychiatrists and a few clinical psychologists. All the clinical psychologists I know are desperately in need of long-term therapy. Some are substance abusers. Some have eating disorders. Many have borderline personality disorder and/or a range of other personality disorders. They are clinically depressed and take antidepressants. They have diagnosed themselves with adult adhd and have hooked up with a psychiatrist to medicate for that. They understand your problems because, typically, they have even more of them than you do.

There are good therapists and bad therapists. It's like any other profession. And there are patients with real problems and patients with fake problems, although the need to have fake problems is probably a real problem. It can get expensive at any rate to treat the fake problems as a chronic mental health issue.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I've been seeing a therapist, and I'm guessing I'll need that for at least 5 years or until I get going on my own feet. Basically Beezel, you've created another Senate thread that is not only idiotic but rather cynical as well.

7. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Your friend isn't acting the way you think they should be.

Your friend still seeing a therapist is their fault.

Your friend should grow up.

Your friend is being taken for a ride.

Your friend has to take anti-depressants.

Without knowing anything about why this person started and continues to see a therapist, you are passing judgement upon them, their behaviours and mental status. Some people need to have ongoing treatment to maintain a standard of mental health. Some people keep going for years because they find that it works as a preventative to whatever it was that they needed to go in the first place. Don't pass judgement upon someone who for all intents and purposes is doing something because it is of a great benefit to them.

And while you're at it, do them the courtesy of not labelling them a friend since you obviously aren't much of one if you are doing this.

8. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    It's good not to judge, but we do live in a world in which not all licensed therapists are consummate professionals with a high standard of ethics and a lifelong commitment to excellence.

9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Is this from experience? I'm not satisfied with my current therapist, so I'm most likely going to switch over to a different one.

10. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    conversely, you could also add:

I see value in therapy from personal experience.

I am concerned about my friend and don't want him to be taken advantage of.

I am concerned my friend won't get any better if he doesn't start taking control over his own life.

as jabba suggested, there are bad and good therapists. there are also good therapists for certain people but not necessarily for others; it's a profession very much built upon the relationship between the therapist and the patient, more so than, say, your local GP.

i don't see anything wrong in asking these questions to us, but ultimately, beezel, it isn't any of your business in terms of your relationship with your friend. if your friend continues to see his therapist, he obviously sees some value in it, even if this doesn't appear to an outsider as translating into any tangible difference. he may well be improving emotionally and internally. everyone is different and it's far too complicated a process to just pigeon hole. all you can do is support him and be a friend.

11. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I think beezel just doesn't want anyone else swindled out of money.

12. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    No epic you see beezel made this thread we have to take everything the worst possible way to put him down.

epic likes this.
  13. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    More often than not you have to shop around and try different people out. This is not unusual at all. Don't be discouraged - if you're not satisfied with your current therapist, definately keep looking. You'll eventually find someone you're comfortable with and confident in.

14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Exactly. I'm applying that mindset instead of the whole "oh woe is I, no one can help me".

Son of a Bith likes this.
  15. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    "friend"

epic likes this.
  16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    It's like any other relationship, some people you just don't click with, and others you click with on a deep level. It's a bit different, in that it's also a professional relationship, but there does have to be a foundation of trust and comfort.

17. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I've had/seen probably 25+ different therapists....I can only think of one single one that helped. You really have to shop around, and be prepared for some horrifyingly rude/mean/ignorant ones.

MrZAP likes this.
  18. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    did you now

19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    The one I'm with currently is just incredibly awkward, but it's good to know that others have had to shop around frequently.

20. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Aw crap, beez is posting Scientology talking points...

21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    More power to people who are helped by therapy, I guess, but every person I tried frustrated the **** out of me and didn't seem any more able to help me with my problems than a random fairly intelligent, well-informed person. That is, not much. And yeah, at least a couple of them were nuts. I didn't rack up 25 before I gave up, though. I think the mental and emotional exhaustion would've killed me. If only Mads Mikkelsen's Hannibal Lecter were real.

22. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Five years isn't long at all. I've been seeing mine for over a decade.

Son of a Bith likes this.