main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Question about publications in different languages

Discussion in 'Literature' started by UnshavenWookie14, Nov 5, 2017.

1. UnshavenWookie14

UnshavenWookie14 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2017
    I’m relatively new to the expanded universe of Star Wars, but Having now discovered it I’m tearing through it as fast as I can get my hands on new content. I’m just sticking with canon for now until I get my foundation. Don’t want to blur the lines while I’m still learning. I’ve been going off the wiki timeline of content, and one of the things I discovered is that all publications of specific stories aren’t translated for all readers. Like there’s some mini comics that are only German, some Japanese content, etc. my question is this — what is the benefit to only providing those stories to one language of the fan base? I feel like I’m missing little crumbs simply because the content team didn’t translate it to English. I know these stories aren’t big or story altering, but I enjoy the little nuggets I get from the mini stories scattered throughout the novels and main marvel comic series. They lead to ‘ah ha!’ moments later down the road when they slip the tidbit in. So what’s the reasoning behind providing different stories specifically written for only certain language speaking fans? I’m also a bit of a completionist so this irks me when I’m trucking along and run into something I can’t absorb without spending several hours on Rosetta Stone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Regarding the Japanese Lost Stars webcomic ---that's a project that was created specifically for the Japanese market. It's manga-style art in a webtoon format, which is a style that's very popular and trendy (and thus easily digestible to the average consumer) in Japan. A project like that is created for the purpose of helping grow the SW market in that country, and I doubt that paying translators to present an English-language version of it would have any benefit beyond satisfying completionist fans. I can see why it isn't high on anybody's priority list.

3. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    When it comes to the German-only Rebels comics and comicl adaptations of novels, however...
    Especially when you know those are written in English in the first place!

4. UnshavenWookie14

Oct 20, 2017
    Are they all in English? I thought the discontinued the English translations of Star Wars magazine comics after the first 12 issues or somewhere around there

5. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I mean they are written in English first, and then translated into German for publication. But their authors are still Brits or Americans.

6. UnshavenWookie14

Oct 20, 2017
    Oh ok. I thought you meant the initial publications were English.

They probably aren’t that big of a deal in the big picture. But Star Wars publishes content through so many different mediums that I run into hard to find content while working my way through the wiki canon checklist.

Like I was working through rebels and then I noticed those short story comics started popping up between episodes. And then after 12 or so I couldn’t find them anywhere. I looked for about 45 min before finally finding an article with a footnote saying they were only in German now and the US translations had been canceled.