main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question about Sebestian Shaw

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by thecleric007, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thecleric007

thecleric007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2003
    I was just wondering if he did play Vader when we finally saw him without the make, of if that was David Prowse too. I've been arguing way too much with a friend of mine over the ghost change and found out that neither of us know if Shaw was in SW except for the ghost scene (she had actually thought he was Vader in the suit, though I knew that was wrong).

So anyway...who played Vader when we actually saw him beneath the suit?

The Cleric 007

2. The_Nameless_One

The_Nameless_One Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    It was Shaw there for the unmasking scene - but I have a feeling that he'll be replaced in a future update of the films ;)

3. thecleric007

Oct 3, 2003
    Ok, thanks. I was pretty sure it was him...so it does make some sense that he was the ghost. Not that I mind the change, since it makes a heck of a lot more sense than some of the other stuff.

The Cleric 007

4. DarthyMarkyMark

DarthyMarkyMark Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    David Prowse was actually very upset that Sebastian Shaw played the unmasking scene - he's called it the lowpoint of his "acting" career. But can you imagine Prowse playing a death scene like that? Shaw did a fantastic job. :)

5. thecleric007

Oct 3, 2003
    It really is a good scene. And makes Shaw as the ghost less random. Which is good.

Another question...did David Prowse really not know that he was going to be dubbed over? Because that would suck.

The Cleric 007

6. DarthyMarkyMark

Nov 6, 2003
    According to the story as he tells it, Prowse didn't know. He just turned up to the premiere to find James Earl Jones doing Vader's voice instead. It is strange he wasn't informed about this, but perhaps it was written into his contract that was just the phsyicality, be he assumed he would be doing the voice. He was very upset about this as well ... although if you've watched Empire of Dreams, it becomes quite apparent why they couldn't use his voice. ;) He was also annoyed that they never told him Vader was Luke's father. Oh yeah, and that Hayden plays Vader in RotS - he wasn't happy with that, either.

7. thecleric007

Oct 3, 2003
    So basically it sucks to be him.

Though I honestly can't see what problem he would have with Hayden as Vader. The other stuff is understandable...but not that.

The Cleric 007

8. Project_Starscream

Project_Starscream Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 7, 2001
    Because he wanted to be in the suit instead of Hayden being in the suit (he was even in the place where they were filming, so they could have had him do it).

9. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    They could....but they shouldn't

Hayden has invested more into this character than any other actor (love him or hate him), he deserves to have a dream fulfilled for him for his work.

That Prowse wants to stomp on that dream is just pathetic.

10. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Oh yeah, and that Hayden plays Vader in RotS - he wasn't happy with that, either.

That's total BS and rumor.

Prowes had no intrest in playing Vader again. He's no longer in bodybuilding shape, and he has health problems.

11. dead_morrison66

dead_morrison66 Jedi Youngling

Jan 30, 2004
    I have to give kudos to David Prowse after watching the Empire of Dreams documentary. It would've been so easy to sleepwalk through the role of Vader, but he seemed to be trying his damnedest to pull of a good perfromance, even if his voice wasn't used.

12. Ana_Labris

Ana_Labris Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Yeah the Vader mannerisms are a big part of the character, but Prowse does have a terrible accent.. Glad they didn't use it.

13. DarthyMarkyMark

Nov 6, 2003
    That's total BS and rumor.

Prowes had no intrest in playing Vader again. He's no longer in bodybuilding shape, and he has health problems.

Question: Did you feel sad that you weren't invited to reprise the role of Vader in Episode III?
    Prowse: I was disappointed. I would have loved to have come back for Episode III - it would have been the culmination of everything for me. But the call never came through from Lucasfilm.
    (Dreamwatch Magazine, issue 120)

BS? Rumour? No interest in playing Vader?

;)

14. Grand-Moff-Tarkin

Grand-Moff-Tarkin Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 26, 2004
    Just out of curiosity, who played Vader when his helmet was being lowered back on him in the meditation chamber in ESB? I know it wasn't Shaw, but was it Prowse, or somebody else?

15. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    That is a very good question I had wondered about this as well.

16. YOU_CANNOT_SPELL

YOU_CANNOT_SPELL Jedi Youngling

Oct 27, 2004
    Just out of curiosity, who played Vader when his helmet was being lowered back on him in the meditation chamber in ESB? I know it wasn't Shaw, but was it Prowse, or somebody else?

It was Dave Prowse. He said it was the only time you see him in the movies.
    He also said that Lucas directed the scene with Mark Hamill and Sebastian Shaw in a separate set away from others. Again, Prowse said he was upset when he found this out just like he was surprised when James Earl Jones read the line in ESB, "No. I am your father," not "Obi-Wan was your father." Only Kerschner, Lucas and Hamill knew this on the set during filming.
    Prowse was "dragged over the coals" by Lucas when a newspaper reported that Vader was going to die in RotJ as a headline for an interview with Prowse. Allegedly in the interview, the reporter asked Prowse about Vader dying and Prowse replied "what do you mean?" IE. he either didn`t know or was denying it.
    Whether or not Prowse is telling the truth I don`t know, but that`s what he once said on TV . I also remember around the time of TPM`s release Prowse stated in a magazine that he would like to play Vader again in Episode III.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.