Question about some old sourcebooks

Discussion in 'Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Nobody145, Mar 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nobody145 Jedi Master

star 5
    I was browsing through a local comic/RPG shop and saw a copy of some of the recent stuff and some of the older stuff, like the Rebellion Era Sourcebook and Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds, and a few other things I can't remember. They were still full price though, but were wrapped (I think).

Anyway, I hope this is the right forum to ask this kind of thing (if not, could someone move this topic or point me towards the right forum?), but anyway, my specific question is, are the two books I mentioned above worth buying (especially at near to full price, for probably new condition)? Sure, there's Ebay, but my parents won't let me use Ebay too often, so if I can find a copy in a local store, and its not three times the original price, I'll take it.

As to what I define as "worth it", well, I don't RP, as I don't have many friends and none of them are interested in Star Wars RP, I just buy the books for the background informataion and pretty pictures. For instance, I liked the recent SotG, KotOR and Legacy Campaign Guides a lot. From what I've read of other reviews and Amazon and on Wookieepedia, it sounds like Rebellion Sourcebook and Geonosis are worth it, but figure might as well ask the opinions of any RP veterans here as well.
  2. Koohii Jedi Master

star 5
    Yes, this is the right place.

Is it worth it? Well... The real question is: Is it worth it to YOU. Are you going to derive enough pleasure for the $? I can't answer that for you--I'm not an authority on WotC rpg books. Someone else will have to fill in on the content/quality of those volumes.

I will, however, point out that Wizards of the Coast has decided to discontinue their Star Wars lines of Minis and RPG books. Use that information to whatever decision.
    Best of luck.

Try getting your friends to give RPGs a try. They might like it.
  3. JoinTheSchwarz Comms Admin & Community Manager

Administrator
    star 8
    Both Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds and Coruscant and the Core Worlds are worth having; fantastic art, detailed descriptions of planets and just some wild imagination in the best WEG tradition. I'm not that sure about RESB, though; it's just a mish-mash of stats and some recycled art and you'd be better off buying any of the Essential Guides.
  4. KudosDas Jedi Padawan

star 2
    Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds was one of my favorite books from the Revised rule set. Great information, great story ideas and just really seemed to have the right amount of information to give the worlds and species a fleshed out feeling while still allowing for plenty of GM or player creativity.

If you're not going to be using the books to play, however, I'd seriously consider if spending the money is worth it. That said Geonosis is still my favorite RPG source book of all times.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.