main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question About Star Destroyers, Shields, and Shield Generators

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Fluke_Groundwalker, Mar 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    Ok, the domes on top of the bridge are the generators, correct?

Now, could a Yuuzhan Vong beasty thing get through the shields, and attack the generators?

Also, is the particle shielding a part of the hull, or does it hug the hull?

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, if you look at most big class ships they have external shield generators, according to the ships shown in the EG to vehicles and vessels.

3. Fluke_Groundwalker

Aug 11, 2001
    Are the domes on top of the bridge the shield generators?

If so, are they the only ones on the entire SSD?

4. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    They are the shield generators, but there are shield emmiters located all over the ship.

5. Halcoholic

Halcoholic Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    Yes, the domes are the shield generators. They generate both energy shields and particle shields. Contrary to X-Wing shields, which envelop the ship in a bubble, capital shields form to the hull, perhaps a few centimetres above (projecting a bubble around a SSD would waste a lot of energy). In order to do this, the shields that are generated by the domes are sent through a system of power relays to the shield projectors that line the hull.

An Imperial-class Star Destroyer would have the relays running along both sides, where the dorsal and ventral surfaces meet. These shield projectors are relatively well protected, however all types of Star Destroyers are notorious for having inadequate numbers of projectors around the shield generators, making the generators vulnerable to attack.

6. Fluke_Groundwalker

Aug 11, 2001
    Ok, thanks Valiento. Just one more question.

Are the particles shields a part of the hull, or are they just hull-hugging?

7. Halcoholic

Halcoholic Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    According to the Essential Guide, they hug the hull closely, floating a few centimetres above it.

8. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Why are wind generators called wind generators when they don't generate wind, ;), :D.

9. DarthSeti5

DarthSeti5 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 6, 2001
    Yeah, the particle shields "hug" the hull, but they also promote hull-integrity, so they are usually kept on and would make "beastie" attacks more difficult.

10. Fluke_Groundwalker

Aug 11, 2001
    All right, thanks for the help, guys.

11. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Thankfully, no one brought up what Tech Commentaries has to say on this matter.

12. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
  13. Fluke_Groundwalker

Aug 11, 2001
    According to the Tech Commentaries...

LOL. Just kidding.

14. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm assuming you disagree with what they have to say as well. Course, I've let it be well known that after the way I was treated by that guy that I'm really not that big on the TC at all. Some of the info provided does make for a good starting point, but it really does need to be taken with more than a simple grain of salt. Especially when this guy starts getting into stuff that has nothing to do with physics. How exactly does physics apply to the Vader Autopsy he posted? I actually sent that to a friend as humor and not as something to be taken seriously.

15. Warlord_Ken

Warlord_Ken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2000
    Well, I think the shields would hug the ship more than just a few centimeters. In CoPL the Falcon was able to fly around under the shields of the Iron Fist, for example, as were X-wings, A-wings, and other fighters were able to do over the Executor in RotJ. If the shields hugged the ships that closely then the ships attacking it should have crashed and died.

16. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    In the original blueprints for the Stardestroyer, the domes were NOT generators for the shields, but sensordomes.

Unfortunately, poorly reaserched secondgeneration sources made them into shieldgenerators mistaking cause with result from the scene in RotJ, where an X-Wing destroyes one of the globes in a Kamikaze-attack and in the next scene an imperial officer informs Piett, that they had lost their bridgedeflectorshield.

Of course those sources don´t explain, how the X-Wing was able to reach the globe and to destroy it, when the shield was still up.

Unfortunately we are forced to live with the vision, that makes those globes shieldgenerators.

In Wraith-Squadron i think, it was tried to reach a compromise. They are now both, part of the shieldsystem and sensordomes.

Hullhugging particelshields, hmmmm...

Wasn´t there an incident in the Marvel-Comics, where three Stardestroyers were obliterated by the Executors shields after leaving hyperspace?

That didn´t looked like a hullhugging shield to me.

17. Yomin_Carr

Yomin_Carr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2002
    According to the Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels, page 55, the two towers on the bridge of the Executor are Deflector-shield domes (sic.) Page 82-82 of the Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology shows again that the towers are deflector shield generators. It also says, "These shields (particle shields), greatly enhance a ship's hull integrity by using energy charges to strengthen the molecular bonds of hull plating." It also states that ray shielding extends anywhere from permeating the hull of the ship to surrounding the ship about several centimeters away from it. It also says, "Larget ships may call upon multiple generators : Imperial Star Destroyers carry a pair of ISD-72x generators on top of their conning towers. Shield operators allocate energy as needed to deflect incoming attacks and protect particularly vulnerable portions of a ship." This means to me that if the shield generators are taken out, the shield relays that cover the ship (as seen on the illustration of a ISD on page 83 of that guide), will not be able to project a shield anywhere.

18. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Fluke...
    "Also, is the particle shielding a part of the hull, or does it hug the hull?"

"Both," actually. ;) :D From the Star Wars Roleplaying Game, 2nd Ed. Revised and Expanded:
      "Shields
      Starship shields are electronic energy dampers which help absorb some of the damage from enemy attacks. Shields come in two main varieties: particle and energy/ray shields.

Particle shields deflect all sorts of physical objects, including asteroids, missiles and proton torpedoes. They are used at all times, except when a ship launches fighters, missiles or torpedoes (the shields must be dropped to allow physical objects to pass through them). When a ship loses its particle shields, reduce its hull code... (a ship which loses its main power generator also loses its particles shields)..."
    So, basically, because particle shields are for the most part "on" probably 99% of the time, they are generally assumed to be taken as part of the "hull resistance" of that ship by default. Whenever they are damaged or inoperable, then the hull capacity is reduced. This would be say opposite of the default being the physical hull protection which is then "boosted" by the presence of particle shields. They are generally assumed to be part of the hull resistance (but not the hull itself) until they are lost or deactivated.

19. Fluke_Groundwalker

Aug 11, 2001
    I'm not quite sure of this, because I've lost my STAR WARS movies [face_shocked], but in The Empire Strikes Back, when the Executor is chasing after the Falcon through the asteroid field, don't the asteroids impact the particle shields well away from the hull?

20. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    According to couple of the stories in marvel, the shields can be shifted close up on the ship as well as being pushed out if need be.

21. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    I somehow doubt the crew of the Executor had time for that, when Admiral Griffs Stardestroyers droped out of hyperspace.

22. Mister_Oragahn

Mister_Oragahn Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 7, 2001
    There are eight globes on the Executor.
    Have a look at Saxton's page.
    I support the theory of globes = main shield emiters.
    Thanks.

23. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    The A-wings were under the Executor's shields when they blew its shield generators.

24. Fluke_Groundwalker

Aug 11, 2001
    I'm assuming in that situation that the particle shields were pulled close to the hull, allowing the A-wing to slip under the ray shields, and take out the dome?

25. Yomin_Carr

Yomin_Carr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2002
    "These shields (particle shields), greatly enhance a ship's hull integrity by using energy charges to strengthen the molecular bonds of hull plating." From the Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology. Nuff' said

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.