main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question about SW audiobooks

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Whizkid, Apr 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whizkid

Whizkid Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003

I've been wanting to re-read the NJO for a while but I don't have access to my books, so I recently acquired all 19 audiobooks to put on my ipod. I was wondering if they are all unabridged. I want to know before hand if there are any scenes not to expect. Thanks.

2. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I was planning on making a thread like this :)

So I'd like to know about the quality of the audiobooks these days too. I used to buy them pretty frequently back when Bantam was doing them and I remember they were pretty heavily abridged. That's why I stopped buying them.

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The quality of the audiobook is good, in terms of voice-quality. The guy they have doing it is quite good.
    Crappy, however, in terms of content-quality.

The one and only one I got was Destiny Way because I found it two weeks early, but it was so heavily abridged that there was some good material lost. I believe Star By Star missed the whole invasion of Coruscant, according to people who got it.

4. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    Oh poo :(

5. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Revenge of the Sith was unabridged and fun to listen to. Talented voice-actor they've got, there.

6. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    Well, that's good. I love that book and I think I may pick it up. :)

7. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    You should. I like that guy's Anakin much better than Christianson. Someone out to go dub in his voice over Christianson's lines sometime.

8. Whizkid

Sep 11, 2003
    So I just put 2 gigs of mp3 files on my ipod for nothing? How could SbS by missing the entire battle of coruscant? Geez, how do they justify the price if their so heavily abridged? Thank god I didn't pay for 'em

Edit: I just listened to the first 1/4 of Vector Prime and as far as I could tell the only scene missing was when Nom Anor leads the droid execution. The reader is very good and does the various voices very well. Still I wish it was unabridged.

9. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    Is Revenge of the Sith the only audiobook that's available unabridged?

10. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I have a verrry old He-Man cassette. When I say cassette I'm mean the jurassic ones, the disk ones where the barbed stick touches it to make music. Starcraft's expansion showed it, so I guess it's still kicking until then. Anyway, aside from listening to George Martin read aloud a chapter of mad Damphair's intro, they're the only audio stories I've heard. It was a bit funny to hear Martin's dry voice---I forgot he was American! Struck me as British. Must be the beard. Brit beards. So I ask this each audio book thread, what are they like in general? Vocal monotones, content, sound effects, etc.

11. Whizkid

Sep 11, 2003
    Well, in Vector Prime, the same guy seems to voice all the characters, but he actually does a decent job. Some OT music is thrown in there for space battles and of course they add the lightsaber sfx. Its odd how the SbS running time seems to be shorter than even the EoV books, so i'm sure its heavily abridged.

12. StarkRhavyn

StarkRhavyn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2003
    What about female, alien and droid voices?

13. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Same guy. For RotS he did a passable job as Yoda, and although the female voices were pretty bad, that's to be expected.

14. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    It's because they're abridged that they aren't more expensive. $20-ish for the abridged, versus $60 for the unabridged ones they've done.

The other two prequels are also available unabridged.

15. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Oh, great--unabridged audio adaptations of a novel adaptation of a motion picture. :p

TC

16. Thanos6

Thanos6 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 1999
    I can't believe they would cut the battle of Coruscant, the most important EU event since the first battle of Bilbringi.

17. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

He did a Yoda voice? [face_laugh] So did a Warcraft 3 Orc Grunt, and quite well too.

18. WitchKing73

WitchKing73 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2003
    Jonathan Davis is the reader on most of these Star Wars titles. He does a decent job and after awhile you kinda get used to him--Like a creepy uncle. (j/k)

If ya can't read it (which is the best, btw), then I recommend downloading "Dark Lord" in addition to "Labyrinth of Evil" and only about 1/3 of "Dark Rendezvous".

Audible.com is a pretty sweet website. There's a promotion by going through amazon.com, where if you buy a one year membership package for $9.95 then your first audio book is free. Other stuff is really discounted with the membership as well. So go give it a whirl....

19. Whizkid

Sep 11, 2003

How much of Dark Lord is missing from the Audiobook? I'm tempted to download the Dark Lord and Outbound Flight audiobooks but if their heavily abridged i'll wait for the paperback release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.