main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Question About The Carbon Freezing

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Imperial Reject, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    I didn't know where to put this since it pertains to both TCW and ESB but more so for ESB I think.
    I'm sure this has been discussed many times before and I probably overlooked something but in empire Vader decides to test the carbon freeze on Han to see if a human could survive it. But he should already know that humans can survive carbon freeze because he himself was frozen in the Citadel episode of The Clone Wars. Maybe I missed something?

Was he simply testing Cloud City's Carbon freeze because he thought it was inferior to the Jedi Temple's? Maybe he wanted to see how a "normal" human would handle carbon freezing. when Vader was frozen he was a Jedi at the time and the Clones were genetically modified, so they wouldn't count.
    or maybe he was just lying and he actually didn't care if Han lived or not?

ObiWanKnowsMe and Iron_lord like this.
  2. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    The set-up on Cloud City was crude, but functional. He really didn't care if Han lived or died, he just wanted to make sure it would safely freeze Luke.

3. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Simple answer is that ESB was relaeased in 1983 so TCW had not even been made yet o_O

4. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    It is right in Vader's dialog: "This facility is crude." When he was frozen before, it was in a more advanced facility.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Leia also recognizes Han's symptoms as "hibernation sickness" suggesting people other than Han had been frozen and revived enough, that the medical complications are fairly well known.

6. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    At first it was cool to see them being carbon frozen in TCW and then I thought, hold on why would he make that statement in years to come in ESB?

The probable answer to make it suit the story is that the facility on Cloud City wasn't great so he wanted to check it. However the reality is it was made 30 years or so before TCW.

7. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Kenneth Morgan said it and timmoishere said it. Iron_lord said it differently but I will say it again.

Vader comments the the carbon freezing chamber is crude but should be adequate. Also Leia knows that Han has 'hibernation sickness' and that his eyesight will return with time. Even without Leia telling Han what his problems are Vader let's you know that carbon freezing a human can be done and Lando even backs it up by letting Vader know that they have never attempted to use the facility to freeze a life form. So right there both Vader and Lando say Cloud City's Carbon Freezer needs an update if you're going to use it for something other than freezing tibanna(sp?) has for shipment.

Sent via my iPADD from the Milky Way Galaxy using Tapatalk

8. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    Vader and Lando both give the answer in the movie.

darklordoftech likes this.
  9. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Yes, the facility was designed to freeze anti-gravitational Tibanna gas for better handling and transportation purposes.

Other facilities might have been used foremost to freeze organic samples or the like (e.g. TCW). So Vader wanted to make sure that the industrial facility would "freeze" just as well and used Solo as a guinea pig.

ObiWanKnowsMe and darklordoftech like this.
  10. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Speaking of Han Solo and the carbonite-freezing chamber, there must've been plenty of delicacies & beverages for him to indulge in there!
    Because when he went in he looked like this:
    [​IMG]

And when he came out, he gained like 30 pounds! Amazing!

[​IMG]

11. Darth DoJ

Darth DoJ Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 13, 2016
    1. TCW should be aware that their story is canon and stop putting stuff in that causes continuity issues... Or it should be removed from canon.
    2. Why would they choose freezing him in carbonite as the method for bringing him to the emperor? Thinking about it, it's pretty stupid. Not complaining, the plot device was needed, but, still...

12. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    ^ Because Luke would be too dangerous to transport any other way