main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question about the placement of Shmi's grave...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Psylum, Jun 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Psylum

Darth_Psylum Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2001
    I've search but havent found an answer to this question.

I decided to watch AotC last night and I noticed that Shmi was buried just outside the Lar's homestead. Am I right about this?

If so why is she not mentioned in ANH? Is this a problem in the plot? If there is no grave marker in ANH then Shmi shouldnt have been buried so close to the homestead.

Whats the deal?

2. theBluePhoenix

theBluePhoenix Jedi Master star 3

Jan 4, 2001
    Are you serious? You?re asking why a movie that was made in the 1970s makes no mention of a character that was created in the 1990s? Even so, what relevance does she have in ANH? What can she possibly add to the story?

3. Darth_Psylum

Darth_Psylum Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2001
    Excately. She has no purpose in the OT. So why have her buried ten feet from the door step of the homestead and have questions like these arise.

Shmi didnt have to be buried there. Is that the best that Lucas can come up with?

So now we have to assume that the Lar's decided to remove the grave marker so Luke wouldnt know that his grandmother was buried right outside the door?

Besides this is just a question, not a decleration of incompetance on the part of the creators.

4. ObiWan2790

ObiWan2790 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    i have a question about the graves. why are there three of them? or four...havent seen that scene in a while but why are there more than one> whos buried there that i missed?

5. THEFORCEISWITHME33

THEFORCEISWITHME33 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    I'm surprised the markers weren't added to the DVD series.

6. ohwise1

ohwise1 Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2005
    He probably did know she was buried there, why would they hide that from him? it doesnt give anything away.

Luke: Who was my grandmother?
    Owen: Shmi Skywalker from Mos Espa
    Luke: So Darth Vader is my father?
    Owen: Your quick kid

7. Chukles38

Chukles38 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 10, 2005
    hehe. About teh multiple graves, i've never seen them, but i don't say they aren't there. It is probably a family graveyard, and the grave could have been there. it wouldn't mean anything to luke. plus, think about it. He grew up calling himself luke skywalker, not luke lars. So therefore, he must have learned of either his grandmother or his father sometime.

8. kann

kann Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2005
    Luke: Who was my grandmother?
    Owen: Shmi Skywalker from Mos Espa
    Luke: So Darth Vader is my father?
    Owen: Your quick kid

lol

Ever heard about sandstorms? :p
    Or there could've been a Tusken raid on the Lars homestead, they took Shmi's grave marker down cause they realized she never brought anything but trouble.

9. JediJimboni

JediJimboni Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2005
    who cares shmi isnt even a big character damn!

10. DarthNidLoc

DarthNidLoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2005
    Their are at least two other graves next to hers and I remeber reading somewhere that they were Owens mother and a brother who died young.

11. Darth_Ares-Lido

Darth_Ares-Lido Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    It's possible that Owen moved the graves to hide the truth from luke, this might account for his bitterness towards the Jedi.

12. Chukles38

Chukles38 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 10, 2005
    lol. well, shmi was important only in the fact that she ahd to ie. I knew that after i saw TPM. Besides that, she had no importance to the movies whatsoever.

13. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    The other graves are graves for the farm hands who went out searching for Shmi, and were killed by the Tuscan Raiders.

I remember reading somewhere that Owen removed the graves so that Luke wouldn't learn about his father.

Were the graves there in ROTS?

14. DINVADER_RETURNS

DINVADER_RETURNS Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2003
    There is no scene in ROTS or ANH that shows that same exact place where the graves were, they are just out of frame. Lucas put them far enough away so it would not have to conflict with ANH.

15. ohwise1

ohwise1 Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2005
    Maybe they got a second morgage and built an extension over it. I hear "Anchorhead Home Loans" have some great saving plans for first time moisture farmers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.