main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

question about the quote reply button

Discussion in 'Communications' started by beezel26, Jul 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    now if you the user posts a picture of yourself and add a phrase that states This is me its basically your post.

Now if if I use the quote reply button I can reuse your picture without your permission.

In fact I can change your quote and statement. yes I know I am ugly ok. And all you had to do is edit your post for something as simple as a mispelled word.

The mods wouldnt have any idea unless you questioned it and stated honestly thats not what you said. But do we really know. Unless someone else sees it then its as good as your word as theirs.

But if I take the same quote and copy and paste it and post a link to the picture its basically against TOS without the permission of the user. Even if I state that I quoted what you said and stated where it came from. We do it all the time with parts of articles.

Can anyone tell me why this is the case.

2. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    if you copy and paste into a different thread in a different forum, without the permission of the user, and effectively using it to call them out in Comms then you'd probably get edited.

Remember, if the user whose bandwidth you are stealing switches the images to something less inappropriate on you then you'll get banned.

3. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    yes but doesnt the quote reply button steal bandwith as well?

I guess if that is the case and I agree with you thats its easy to change the picture to something really bad.

I guess the quote reply button should come with a warning.

4. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Or you should just use common sense when using it. you are responsible for everything in your posts.

5. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Well Its just I have seen the quote reply button used quite a bit with pictures of people in it and I thought it made it allowable.

But I understand completely about using common sense. Using a picture from someone else comes with its own risks. Unless you use your own account like Photobucket.

Oh and one more thing. Is there a limit on how many times someone can use the quote reply button with someones picture in it and leech the bandwith at the same time.

Is there a magic number or is it the person complaining.

and the quote reply button seriously gets abused.

How many times should someone be able to use the quote reply button in a post.

Three four or five times.

It gets annoying to read down the screen for a few words because of the multiple times the quote reply button was used in a post.

And of course what does the person use at the end of five quotes.

A smiley face.

6. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    the quote reply button just inserts markups automatically for you - there's nothing magically about it

7. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    beezel26 posted on 7/23/05 8:12pm
    Well Its just I have seen the quote reply button used quite a bit with pictures of people in it and I thought it made it allowable.
    [hr][/blockquote] The administration sets the standards for what is allowed - how users chose to put the tools to use does not make something right or wrong. :)

Just my two cents.

8. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    So then does using the quote button with someones picture in it as a quote mean you have the users permission or not.

because they person could post the picture and not expect to get so much bandwith used up.
    With the quote button it goes from Bandwith stealing to bandwith borrowing. your not stealing it and calling it your own you are just borrowing the picture and giving credit to the user who posted it.

but you still are sucking the bandwith down though.

9. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    I like how malkie put it:
    malkieD2 posted on 7/23/05 7:48pm
    if you copy and paste into a different thread in a different forum, without the permission of the user, and effectively using it to call them out in Comms then you'd probably get edited.
    [hr][/blockquote] Also, if the image being included in a quote is one that is in question it should not be posted at all.

Again, just my two cents.

10. ask-the-younglings

ask-the-younglings Jedi Youngling star 5

Jan 18, 2004
    beezel26 posted on 7/23/05 9:28pm
    So then does using the quote button with someones picture in it as a quote mean you have the users permission or not.

because they person could post the picture and not expect to get so much bandwith used up.
    With the quote button it goes from Bandwith stealing to bandwith borrowing. your not stealing it and calling it your own you are just borrowing the picture and giving credit to the user who posted it.

but you still are sucking the bandwith down though.

[hr][/blockquote]

[face_confused]

11. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    This is the strangest thread I have ever seen in comms.

12. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Now here I posted from the South Australia Forum thread.

Now is this wrong especially if the picture wasnt mine.

Or is it only correct in the thread that it came from.

would you just edit out the pic and leave the quote.

Or would you edit out all of it unless it was quoted with location of the thread.

For example

Taken from Meanders Inn Thread from the SAFF forum.

Ok maybe thats overkill but you get my drift.

13. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    I'm kinda confused too.

To put the thread in some sort of context :-

beezel posted a photo of O_S in his other comms thread, with a tagline something along the lines of "omg, this is disgusting, you are all going to burn in hell". 1) the image was posted without consent of the user, 2) it was effectively calling someone out in comms, and was borderline trolling, and 3) it was using someone else's bandwidth without their consent.

Obviously the main reasons for the edited are the first two reasons, with the third being a minor, side point. (we've already decided that we're can't really moderate bandwidth theft).

Despite this background info, the thread still doesn't make a great deal of sense.

14. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    ok, maybe this will make it easier.

Does the quote reply button give the person the permission to reuse their picture even though the user isnt expressly giving their permission.

Before the quote reply feature most people rarely used another persons picture.
    Now with the quote reply button its just added in along with any other markups.

15. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    Does the quote reply button give the person the permission to reuse their picture even though the user isnt expressly giving their permission.

No it does not.

The quote button only copys and pastes the previous text and puts existing markups around the text. It's something that you could have always done manually since Snowboards were created.

16. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    ok, thanks for the explanation Malkie.

I just thought that since it was being used quite a bit in JCC with pictures included that the mods had unofficially allowed it. If you look in the picture thread its being used by practically everyone.

They will quote the picture and add their own statement.

I know before the quote reply someone would just add the persons name and state their opinion.

17. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    If a person complains, the picture that you quoted would be removed, but i doubt much would be done if they did not.

18. Admiral-Snackbar-81

Admiral-Snackbar-81 Jedi Youngling star 4

May 23, 2004
    better idea, though, would be to not call someone out in such a manner. If a post bothers you, eh, thats life. But to spread around that post that supposedly bothers you into other forums, not only does make that post you are offended by viewable in another thread, but multiple times if someone quotes you.

This situation got explained in the other comms forum. You shouldn't post someone elses pic. By post quoting them posting their pic, you are effectively doing just that. If you are ashamed of people acting like savages, then maybe you should avoid that thread, if not forum, entirely, instead of intentionally walking into the lions den.

19. surfnazi

surfnazi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2005
    Remember, if the user whose bandwidth you are stealing switches the images to something less inappropriate on you then you'll get banned.

Good to know. [face_mischief]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.