main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question Question about you guys! :)

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Jane Allen, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jane Allen

Jane Allen Jedi Youngling

Oct 22, 2013
    Hi there! My name is Jane, I love watching the movies over and over again (4-6, mostly), and I talk about the movies because all of my friends are also big Star Wars fans who love watching the movies with me. I don't usually go on forums, so I'm kind of new at this. I came here because I need some answers that you, the people on the forum, could answer. I'm actually doing a research paper on the consumer culture of Star Wars, and I wanted to get some info from other fans, since this is a scholarly paper and I can't write about it myself or my friends. I posted on another forum here in the JC, but I though it would be more rational to ask the question in the "question" section. So my basic question is: what makes you, the consumer of the Star Wars empire (pun intended) buy a product affiliated with Star Wars? This includes video games, figurines, the holiday special, and other products that contribute to your love for Star Wars, if it's the case.
    Please feel free to answer however you like, and whether or not you would like to be directly quoted. If you do, I will change your name and/or use your screen name.

Thanks in advance!

2. thecurseofchris

thecurseofchris Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 12, 2013
    Are you asking what influences me to buy a Star Wars product? If so, that's simple. It's because I love Star Wars. More often than not, having the SW branding will cause me to buy something that I otherwise wouldn't. For example, I recently bought Star Wars fruit snacks...because it was Star Wars.

HanSolo98 likes this.
  3. Commander Krix

Commander Krix Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    I'd have to agree with chris, but I started with a video game. My first Star Wars related game was Star Wars: Battlefront II. I was, from there on out, a Star wars fan after completing that game. I was surprised about how much I had missed growing up looking at even older Star Wars things. To sum it up, Star wars is my most favorite series. ;)

4. Lord Vitiate

Lord Vitiate Jedi Youngling

Oct 23, 2013
    For me the books and novels were for out of interest and cause I was interested in the whole concept of the EU. The video games cause there is a gamer side of me... I always enjoyed SW movies so what makes me buy something for SW is for interest and cause I love SW.

5. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    I'd buy it because its labeled SW / obviously SWish AND it looks good and I have a use for it and the price is reasonable.

6. Jane Allen

Oct 22, 2013
    Thanks for your replies! I do have another question though. My friend, when telling him that I was doing a research paper, told me that he was a "die-hard fan." Would you guys consider yourselves die-hard fans of SW? What, in your opinion, constitutes a die-hard fan?

7. Commander Krix

Commander Krix Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    For myself? No, I'm not a die-hard fan, but what I consider one to be is someone who puts their life on the line for Star Wars related things. Or if they were to work their whole life devoting to Star Wars. For example, they attempt to visit ALL possible events Star Wars related, or otherwise. Hope I answered my opinion to you. ;)

8. Alessandro Sanfilippo

Alessandro Sanfilippo Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 16, 2013
    FOr me a diehard sw fan would be some1 that would argue about little non important details and have 10 hours discusions on what cannon is c-canon level

9. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    I agree with Krix. A really heavy die-hard fan is someone whose life is full of SW without having much room for other hobbies or 'RL' beside of going to work which is the basis to being able to pay all events and collections of SW.

10. Docgeo

Docgeo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 26, 2013
    Hey I thought I would way in on both of the questions you posted.

1. Like many responders I enjoy Star Wars so much I buy many of the different product lines. I do this because in some small way it makes me feel a part of the community and culture that is Star Wars. I will never be an important member like GL or Dave Faloni but all the little things I collect or buy for my kids make me feel more....intertwined....I guess you could say. As I have grown up my tastes have changed from comics and action figures to collectibles. Though I have to admit I still by comics and action figures too.

2. I would have said years ago that I was a die hard fan but until I started to visit different SW communities I didn't know what that meant. SW is very important to me but it isn't an obsession and I don't know everything. I am much more knowledgeable than any other family member, friend, or acquaintance in my life.

11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    As a collector, I started with the books and some of the comics. However, for figures and other collectibles, most of my collection is Fett-related. I'm not too interested in collecting Luke, Padme, etc. The non-Fett figures I do have I bought because I liked their look.

12. Jane Allen

Oct 22, 2013
    Thank you everyone! I will be using your answers in my paper. This has helped me a lot, since there are some things I didn't really know about the consumer culture (the only products I bought were the movies).

13. Kashuula Korulanlaa

Kashuula Korulanlaa Jedi Master star 2

Jan 18, 2016
    what are the stars under your name for and what do they mean?

14. HanSolo98

HanSolo98 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2022
    I'm pretty new to my fascination with the series (maybe a month) and as such, I have not bought anything. However, as an outsider I would not understand this worlds fascination with it. Now, however, I love the story of it and how fresh and unique the series is. As a student of economics, the reason that people buy things is probably because they love it and want a part of it with them literally. They find much joy from products and therefore want it. Hope this helps.

Lady Belligerent likes this.
  15. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Wow, this an old thread that has been resurrected. @Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  16. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Noted ;)

Bazinga'd likes this.
Thread Status: