main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question for all you DVD boffins

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Embra, Jun 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Embra

Embra Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 19, 2001
    My partner is deaf and relies on the joys of subtitles. I buy a lot of R1 stuff, some of which (10th Kingdom, Highlander - Immortal Edition) comes with closed captions. How do we read those closed captions?

By the by, still using the Wharfdale 750.

Thanks in advance, you geniuses you!

2. Gav Daragon

Gav Daragon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 25, 2000
    What are closed captions?

3. MOTs_Minx

MOTs_Minx Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 26, 2000
    Hey Embra... how's sunny embra these days? LOL

Dunno about the closed captions, sorry.

4. Gav Daragon

Mar 25, 2000
    I'll be visiting sunny embra on Friday - well it had better be sunny anyway ;)

I can get a much more detailed answer for you if you want, but as simple as it may sound, have you tried going through the audio/language set up on the menu presuming these discs have them? I don't have either of these discs (but I want the 10th kingdom!) so I'm not 100% sure hwo these would work

5. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    My Family Guy R1 DVD says closed captions, and it plays the same as subtitles

AFAIK, closed captions is just the american way of saying subtitles

6. Gav Daragon

Mar 25, 2000
    Closed Captions from what I can gather are what we would call Hard of Hearing Subtitles ie they not only have the dialogue but they also have background noises eg phone rings

With DVDs that I have that have HoH subtitles they normally come up when you push the sub-title button

7. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    What does AFAIK mean?

8. Gav Daragon

Mar 25, 2000
    as far as I know

9. Beckymonster

Beckymonster Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 28, 2001
    AFAIK - 'As far as I know'

Or at least that's what I use if for! ;)

10. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    I think you might need a Closed Caption compatible player.

11. MayhemUK

MayhemUK Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2001
    I was thinking the same thing myself Ben...

12. garrettendi

garrettendi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    closed captions are just the offical name used for hard-of-hearing subtitles. most dvd's allow you to select hard-of-hearing subtitles through the special features, or languages menu. if they dont - select the subtitles button on the main dvd remote control. most hard-of-hearing subtitles use subtitles option 01 or 02.

hard-of-hearing subtitles are exactly the same as normal english subtitles, but better, as sounds that would normally be too high pitched, or completely inaudble would be written as a subtitle, usually in brackets and written in italics eg: [phone rings]

you do not need a special closed caption compatible dvd player, although some c@ppy dvd players dont come with a subtitles button, so its best to check the remote of the player you buy before you buy it, like i did.

if there a re closed captions coded into a vhs, (those that display the standard "closed captions" icon on the spine of most british video cassette cases) will not be displayed on a standard video player. for these closed captions, a special closed caption decoder is needed to be connected in line with the lead from the video to the tv. a standard decoder costs about £90 (thats the price for the Connevans one), but you can get extras, such as ones that record subtitles when you record a programme, or display the subtitles in a tv programme. this is better than the teletext "888" subtitles. a decoder with all of these added extras would cost around £200. but i imagine its worth it to be able to record the subtitles to a tv movie, when you couldnt normally get the subtitles if you bought the dvd or video.

13. Embra

Apr 19, 2001
    Cheers folks! You are all as fab as ever.

The subbies work on the majority of our DVDs, even the R1 ones. I suspect there's a need for a CC decoder for the few problem disks, as the subtitle button on the DVD controller either pulls up nothing (10th Kingdom) or French and German (Highlander). Nici has a decoder at her folks place. We gave it to them when we got a video recorder that had one built in.

On the subject of subtitles, it's just as well Nici's not a footy fan - the subbies are even worse than normal...

Oh, and I have no idea how sunny it is in Edinburgh, yah wee Minx ye. In tiny wee Lebberston it keeps blummin' raining. That's Ingerrrlund for you... ;)

14. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    You in Inglund, Embra?

15. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Ooh_Aah_Cantona Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 13, 2000
    It's not Inglund, it's EN-GER-LAND!

16. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    Yeah...thats how you mutants pronounce it. We spek properly in Scotland!

LOL

17. Az-Azzameen

Az-Azzameen Jedi Knight star 5

May 24, 2002
    Mutants? Us?

//arms falls off

18. toochilled

toochilled Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    decoder decoder decoder. debaser?

damn I need loud music.

19. Embra

Apr 19, 2001
    Aye, Minxy. Ah um! Ahm doon in thon wee place Yorkshire. Near Scarborough, so it is. But it's no affectin me or nothin', ken?

Eh up lass!

Ecky thump!

Mushy pees! Ah luv mushy pees, ah do!

>bugger<

20. Ramble_Boba

Ramble_Boba Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2002
    Are you calling bread buns tea cakes or bread cakes yet?

21. Embra

Apr 19, 2001
    I tend to call them "They 'hings ower there, ken, eh up lass - ecky thump!"

I'm very confused...

22. garrettendi

Nov 19, 2001
    You shouldnt need a decoder for any dvd's. If it doesnt work then it just hasnt got captions. not all films have subtitles.

and if it displays foreign captions then it either doesnt have HoH subtitles, or you're on the wrong subtitles setting. my remote has a button that lets you select the different subtitles there are on the dvd.

but most decent dvds have that all on the languages menu. i only use the selector button if i cant find the english subtitles.

people who make dvd's should have more respect for deaf people. just because we're deaf doesnt mean we dont watch films.

23. Embra

Apr 19, 2001

"people who make dvd's should have more respect for deaf people. just because we're deaf doesnt mean we dont watch films."

...don't watch SKY after 10pm, don't watch widescreen stuff, don't watch live broadcasts, don't go to the cinema, don't play computer games, don't watch the vast majority of digital channels at all, don't go out, don't stay in, don't stand in doorways looking confused.

I think that about covers it.

Back on the DVD thing, both 10th Kingdom and Highlander have the 'cc' logo. I suspect there's a clash with my particular player, perhaps, as I can get subtitles normally. Alternatively, the 'cc' logo is a lie. A similar thing happened with the UK video release of the widescreen version of 'Mask of Zorro'. It had the captions logo but no captions. Turned out later that the company in question decided it wasn't financially viable to do subbies for the widescreen version.

Ain't life grand?!

24. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Ooh_Aah_Cantona Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 13, 2000
    It had the captions logo but no captions. Turned out later that the company in question decided it wasn't financially viable to do subbies for the widescreen version.

companies like that should be named and shamed. On a wider scale, that is.

25. garrettendi

Nov 19, 2001
    actually most live broadcasts do have subtitles. and it isnt all that expensive to pay someone else to do subtitles.

there is an hour on saturdays dedicated to deaf people (SeeHear, BBC2), so why should film and tv productions companies continue to ignore deaf people.

we do have rights as a normal people

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.