main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question for College Sports fans

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by rechedelphar, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Which would you rather your school be :

Elite in 1 sport but bad in most everything else, like Duke.

Good in every sport but not elite in anything, like Clemson.

Poor in the 2 major sports(basketball and baseball), but elite in several other sports, like Virginia(#1 in Lacrosse, #1 in Men's Tennis, national men's soccer champs, top 5 baseball).

Have a multitude of great programs and titles but not always the best in the top sports, like Stanford or UCLA.
    -----

Which do you prefer? Which do you wish your school was like? (This assumes you follow more than 1 sport at a school).

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I assume you meant basketball and football there as the two major sports :p

Honestly, I don't know. Obviously, the three schools whose sports I follow are very different on this kind of scale (Duke, South Carolina, Florida State)... though even I have to be honest and say that SC doesn't really fit any of those particularly well. Very good in baseball and equestrian, mediocre at everything else.

But which type would I prefer? I don't know.

3. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    There are times where I wish Clemson had an elite program but I do like the fact that I can look forward to year-round good sports. The 5 that I follow closely are(in order) Football,Basketball,Men's Tennis,Baseball and Men's Soccer. Clemson is good or decent in all of those sports (albiet Tennis and soccer are not as good as they once were).

4. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    The two main collegiate sports that I follow are football and basketball. I probably prefer football over basketball, but not by much.

Obviously, I have split allegiances between Penn State and North Carolina. One has a great tradition in football, the other a great tradition in basketball. Neither one has much history in the other major sport.

I watch some volleyball (especially the championships), and Penn State, particularly the women, are really good. That's about the only other collegiate sport that I watch. I might catch a little bit of lacrosse or soccer, but that's only occasionally.

If I had an ideal school, I'd probably want them to be strong in the two main sports that I watch. It'd be different if I was a student at the school and could go to, say, water polo matches or tennis matches, but it's harder to follow off-campus.

5. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    That's kinda like me, in a sense.

Duke (basketball)
    South Carolina (baseball)
    Florida State (football, baseball)

That said, I obviously follow South Carolina (in particular) in a lot more than baseball... but baseball is the team that's actually good year in and year out :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.