main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question for NJO Readers

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Charth_Maul, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charth_Maul

Charth_Maul Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2001
    Alright, I've never read any EU books after ROTJ except for Truce at Bakura. I'd like to read the X-Wing series, but most of all, the NJO series. Would it be okay to start reading the NJO series (I believe the first was Vector Prime) and still understand it all? Or do I have to read all the stuff before it? I know a lot of the basic things like the Solo kids, Luke's Jedi Academy, etc.

Hmm?

2. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    Man, you're way behind. You wouldn't have to read all of the Bantam books, but it would help to read some of them.

3. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    NJO was written so that a casual fan could pick up Vector Prime and start reading without becoming confused. So, you shouldn't have trouble understanding it.

That said, if you start on NJO, you'll miss out on a lot. If you later choose to go back and read the Bantam novels, you'll already know about events that came as a surprise to most readers. So, I'd suggest at least reading Zahn's Thrawn trilogy.

4. Anakin SkySolo

Anakin SkySolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    The easiest way to bridge the gap between the movies and the NJO is to read Star Wars: The Essential Chronology by Kevin Anderson and Daniel Wallace. That covers the entire history of the Star Wars universe before the NJO. Most of the book is concerned with the period after RotJ. The chronology contains summaries of all the novels published in the Bantam period, as well as a summary of the Dark Empire and Crimson Empire comics, the young adult novels about the Solo kids, and various other EU literature.

5. Charth_Maul

Charth_Maul Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2001
    Yeah, I've read most of Essential Chronology. I do plan on reading the some of the X-Wing series and the Thrawn Trilogy before reading NJO. Those two draw interest to me. What are Specter of the Past and Vision of the Future about?

6. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    They pretty much close out the Bantam era, tying up some loose ends (Empire/New Republic, Luke/Mara).

wk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.