main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question for the bashers about their kids

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Billy_Dee_Binks, Jun 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hudnall

Hudnall Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 23, 2004
    There ARE a lot of new young fans

I'm not saying there isn't. And if you read my original post, I've got more evidence than my wife's (a PT fan including JarJar and AotC romance) very unscientific surveys; but several nephews. SW isn't THE cool place to be for kids. Back in the day, it used to be the undisputed champion. Nemo, Potter, LOTR, X-Men and Spidey all give it a good run for it's money.

Are there many new fans? Of course.

Do kids (as a whole) love the PT? Very debatable.

2. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Of course it's debateable........

3. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Billy,
    It's clear to me you're not really interested in what "bashers" have to say and are just using this thread as a means to bait basher/gusher flame war. I would advise you to stick with the original posted intent, else face consiquences.

4. US_of_Tatooine

US_of_Tatooine Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2004
    I have an 8 year old nephew and we watched TPM a few weeks back, he liked parts but overall he just didnt seem interested in the movie. Jar Jar was funny and the pod race got his blood a boiling with excitement, but all in all, it wasnt his cup o tea.

Now I love the PT as much as the OT, but I dont think that kids are all that excited about star wars in general, not this generation. I was in 2nd grade when ANH came out, and everyone was so hyped to see it, if you hadnt seen it by the second week, you were some kind of a loser. I remember the excitement remained all the way through to Jedi, we would play Star Wars on the play ground at recess, both boys and girls. I would bet that you dont see today's generation playing star wars on the playground at recess.

Kids today want Harry Potter, Spiderman, Xmen and such, I am afraid Star Wars just doesnt appeal to the younger generation like it once did, but that is just my opinion based on my personal observations.

I have a 4 year old daughter, but I wont be letting her watch any of the SW films until she is much older, hopefully she will be like her old man and enjoy the films.

5. Wrath_Mania

Wrath_Mania Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    I agree Star Wars isn't the THING of today's kiddies. Harry Potter, LOTR, and Spiderman.

There's still people that like Star Wars, but certainly not the general consensus. Billy_Dee, dude, you can try to grasp straws to find evidence, but truth be told Star Wars, particularily the prequals, isn't the thing anymore. It didn't roll over and die like the Matrix, but you don't see a bunch of kids running down the street wearing Star Wars t-shirts.

I'm only 16... I saw the OT in 98, but the PT made me more of the big fan I am today. All that really matters to me is that I like the movies. If the public consensus isn't the same, deal with it.

6. Billy_Dee_Binks

Mar 29, 2002
    "......face the consiquences...."
    No way I'm using this thread to start a war, I was just arguing with Hudnull. This is a discussion board afterall.

So, as it seems the competition is much stronger that in 77 to 83.- actually, what competition was there????
    I wouldn't say this makes SW more unpopular- it's just that there are many different cool things to choose from now- some more and some less great.

I always thought SW would be up to par with Harry Potter and Spiderman. I am seeing doubts now.

7. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004
    Superman, Indiana Jones, Battlestar Galactica...

just a few. There was competition. SW was just good enough back then to beat them silly.

And really, ANH wasn't really a movie MADE for kiddies. It is nearly as adult as ESB. I never thought adding the rating PG-13 was a bad idea, but I never thought it would ruin the next SW because George would cater to that rating.

Kids don't like 'kiddie' stuff unless they are under 4. Heck, my daughter is only 3 now and doesn't care for Barney anymore. Too childish. At THREE!

Movies like Shrek2 and Spidey appeal to both and don't shy away from adult content just for children's audiences.

8. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    "......face the consiquences...."
    No way I'm using this thread to start a war, I was just arguing with Hudnull. This is a discussion board afterall.

You start a thread asking an honest question, then start being dismissive, rude and throwing in baiting comments when you don't hear what you wanted to. The warning stands, and you know very well I'll act on it if need be.

And to everyone else, the warning also applies. Be polite or I'll lock this thread.

Now, back to the discussion...

Superman, Indiana Jones, Battlestar Galactica...

just a few. There was competition.

Hmmm, competition of old. Yeah, I'd say the above plus E.T., Star Trek and Dark Crystal.

Competition of new: Matrix, Spidey, LOTR, Harry Potter and (ugh) Shrek. I'd say competition is mostly on par, franchise wise.

9. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004
    Ahhh, DS - Shrek is hilarious, man. I love that flick. How could I forget E.T. or Star Trek?

I do not fear, Billy_Dee, I embrace him.

10. Billy_Dee_Binks

Mar 29, 2002
    What kind of "embrace" do you mean? I'm Austrian and my dictionary has a lot of different meanings for this word.

11. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004
    The deep meaningful loving kind where I hold you and love you and squeeeeeeeeeeeeze you real tight.

It's a joke, Billy. Sarcasm. STARK sarcasm.

12. Holy_Ben_Kenobi

Holy_Ben_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2004
    I have an additional ancedote. I put on role-playing games for my stepson and his friends. I had asked them if they were interested in the d20 version of Star Wars and they shrugged and said not really. Well, just the other day one of them saw my old copy of the West End game of Star Wars on the shelf and said, "Hey, let's play this one, the old movies are cool!"

I was touched and pleased. :)

Don't know about the "old" part though. :mad:

13. Billy_Dee_Binks

Mar 29, 2002
    Actually, I think it's shows weakness if someone mixes English with German. Stark, Angst,..... you name it.

//Sarcasm. :)

:p

14. SW3TheHolidaySpecial

SW3TheHolidaySpecial Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2001
    I'm a basher and while I haven't noticed any kids loving the prequels I do know two girls who,actually the girls are adult women, one loves TPM becuase of Jar Jar and the other loves AOTC becuase of Yoda.

It boggles my mind.

One of them seemed shocked when I mentioned that I liked the older movies better and mentioned how they looked outdated and fake.Of course I'll encounter the geeky Star Wars fans who just love Star Wars in general. People seemed about half and half on TPM and no one seems to want to talk about AOTC,which is kind of odd.

15. Billy_Dee_Binks

Mar 29, 2002
    While AOTC seemed more accepted than TPM for a long time a lot of people started complaining about it not too long ago. It puzzles me how fast some people changed their mind.

16. Wrath_Mania

Wrath_Mania Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    I'm one who believes Phantom Menace is a better movie overall then Clones, to be honest. When it comes down to it I always felt AOTC is rather clunky, probably due to poor editing. I always felt TPM was much smoother.

17. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I was 12 when TPM came out, and had already been a devoted OT fan all of my life. I liked TPM, but didn't love it right off. I like it more now. The ironic thing I remember is that my mom loved Jar-Jar and the rest of my family just didn't get it. It was rather backwards :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

18. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    OK, now I'm going to have to buy an Austrilian version of the English dictionary.

W_M, I tend to agree with you.

19. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I'm a basher myself, but at this point in time, I'm too young to have a family and kids of my own. With that said, I can't really answer your question, but when the day finally comes when I do have kids of my own, I will present them to Star Wars the same way I saw them. I will show them the OT first then continue on with the PT. I will let them be the judge from there.

As for the kids of today - I do see a waning interest in Star Wars. There's too many other things to occupy today's kids. For example, the computer and PC games, all these game consoles like PS and X-Box and not to mention a WIDE variety of movies. It seems like Star Wars is taking a back seat where the younger generations are concerned.

20. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004
    I'd argue that the video games have done a better job with creating new fans than the prequels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.