main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question (HTML code possible answer)

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by Jedi_Commander_Faofa, Mar 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    How do I put anchors on webpages with very long pages with text? I want to make it easier on people to find stuff quicker. Maybe HTML code is possible. Thanks.

2. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    When in doubt always check the official documents:

Official HTML 4.0.1 specification: links and anchors

Anyway in short, the place you want to place the anchor use the <a> tag with a name attribute, like this:

<a name="anchor1"></a>text follows here...

Then to refer to the anchor on that page use the # in the URL. Say for example if at the top of your page you want to put links to the appropiate anchor or section do this:

<a href="#anchor1">Jump to anchor 1</a>

If you want to link to that anchor from another page it's similar:

<a href="http://www.mysite.com/the_page.html#anchor1">Jump to anchor 1 from another page<a>

3. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    Thanks. Sorry, I guess I should look at that thing, but I wasn't on for that long last night. Just thought I would drop the question and recieve the answer today. :)

4. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    No need to be sorry, that was my lame attempt at dry humor but smiles failed. It was mostly to point you to the official docs which can serve you as reference. Though I must confess first time I saw them many years ago I was still confused after consulting them. Hence better to ask and get the code snippets ;-).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.