main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question important to my fic. Please help!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Jedi_Knight150, Jul 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Knight150

Jedi_Knight150 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 26, 2002
    There is a Wookiee in my story, but I'm not sure if I should write in Wookiee sounds or just the translation of what he says. I've seen both options used in fic before, but never together, so I'm guessing I have to choose one. He's going to be talking to Jedi most of the time, so they will know what he is saying, but I'm not sure which one to use. He's in most of the fic, so any comments would be greatly appreciated!

2. TheFallen

TheFallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    I would just describe the sounds, not actually type them out like "arrgh snarf graaah" - it just looks tacky.

tf

3. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    or you could translate it like this {that sounds reasonable} or {Chewbacca? He's cool}

but whatever the wookiee is saying. This is just a suggestion, though.

4. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I'd suggest it depends on how much you want your readers to understand. As well as whose point of view the story is coming from. I've done it both ways (though not in the same story): when my main character understands Wookiee, I do the {dialogue in brackets} thing. When my main character DOESN'T understand an alien language, or if the dialogue is very short, I say that the speaker grunted/howled/etc. and someone else translates.

As long as you're consistent, either way will be fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.