main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question of How did they do that?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by WykdJedi, Aug 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WykdJedi

WykdJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2004
    In the Empire Strikes Back, the rebels are lodged on Hoth and they have a defensive shield covering their part of the world. Now am I just assuming, or do those shields form an inverted bowl protecting them? because somehow all of the imperial ground attack forces suddenly were inside. where they commenced the bombing of the shield generators. How in blazes did they get in the shield perimeter?

2. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    I think your question might be better answered on one of the movies boards. :)

3. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Movie boards, or ask in Lit, as there's an explanation I've heard there and can't remember for the life of me.

4. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Simple answer. The shield wasn't planatary, it just covered Echo Base.

5. WykdJedi

Aug 3, 2004
    Yes, i know. i did say defensive not planetary right? *checks* but the shield touches the ground, and objects can not go through it. (as they have to shut it off for the transports to escape) and the split second that they shut it off for the ships to fly through are not enough time for the lumbering atat's to get through. at best they would be cut in half.

6. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    It's like the Gungan sheild in TPM. Slow moving objects can get through, but a transport would be moving to fast.

7. WykdJedi

Aug 3, 2004
    oh that's cheesy. a shield is a shield. but if that's the explanation of Lucas, I guess that's it. by the way dev, I like your quote about angels=women. how true how true.

8. Dev_Binks

Aug 7, 2003
    I got it from a fan fiction on FFN... I just can't remember who wrote it! I remember it was said to Anakin Skywalker though... bloody memory!

9. WykdJedi

Aug 3, 2004
    ah... got ya. i was just sitting here reading this book and was like now wait a minute!

10. Dev_Binks

Aug 7, 2003
    How 'bout the other quote?

11. WykdJedi

Aug 3, 2004
    That's some old stuff from Navy bootcamp about 6 years ago... i remember that... ahh... great mistakes, IL, i mean great lakes... heh

12. Dev_Binks

Aug 7, 2003
    Hell yeah! It's fun yelling 'em while you're double timing... *grins at memory* :D Now do you have any other SW questions?

13. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    From the Star Wars Movie Trilogy Sourcebook Special Edition:
      "...A Kuat Drive Yards' v-150 ion canon and a small planetary deflector shield were deployed to defend Echo Base from space-based attacks."
    Anyone who knows about deflector shield technology knows that the defensive rating of such shielding is its "energy" protection. The particle protection (of which planetary deflector shields generally lack anyways) - the variety of shielding which stops physical objects - is generally already included in the "hardness" of whichever element is being analyzed. In this case, it would either be the atmosphere of Hoth, or the Echo Base structure, depending on where you want to hit.

14. WykdJedi

Aug 3, 2004
    right i was already thinking of the energy part... but i figured that if they could do that they would have sent tie bombers to bombard it in lieu of the ground attack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.