main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question of the Week #10: What Did You Think Of AOTC On IMAX

Discussion in 'Archive: Atlanta, GA' started by Minacia_Brightstar, Nov 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    Hey gang! The Question of the Week Is Back! This week's question is...

What did you think of AOTC on IMAX?

This week's question is brought to you by me. ;)

As always, if anyone has any ideas for Question of the Week, please send them to me via private message, or send an e-mail to minacia@hothlantarebels.com.

2. Allie Fox

Allie Fox FanForce CR Macon GA US star 3

Jan 13, 2000
    I thought that it was pretty good. I didn't mind the cut scenes. The best part was the detail that could be seen on the five story screen.

I have no complaints whatsoever!

3. RosieWook

RosieWook Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    Well, I was a whimp and didn't want to risk nausea to see it. But I must say that being able to feel the sonic grenades out in the lobby was pretty dang impressive!

From what I hear of the cuts, the only one I'd probably object to is the discussion during the picnic scene about how Anakin thinks politics should work. It says a lot about how he might end up going down the road he chooses.

4. Jace Darkrider

Jace Darkrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 1998
    I thoroughly enjoyed the IMAX format. The only thing that came across as odd at first was the jump in the beginning when Padme's ship blows up to suddenly being with Anakin and Obi-Wan. It was odd editing and strange not to have the scene with meeting in Chancillor Palpatine's office. But beyond that, I really liked it. And of course, it was great getting to share it with fellow fans again.

5. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    It was great seeing AOTC on a HUGE screen! The fight scenes seemed more dramatic, and explosions could be felt through the seats. And the scenes with the seismic charges were even more cool than they were originally.

I'll have to agree with Jace that the first major edit in the movie was not done well. For those of us who had seen it, we knew what had happened, but if someone were seeing it for the first time, they might be confused.

From what I hear of the cuts, the only one I'd probably object to is the discussion during the picnic scene about how Anakin thinks politics should work. It says a lot about how he might end up going down the road he chooses.

This is exactly what I told Luci after I saw the movie. I was thankful that the "riding the big tick-looking cow creature" part was cut, but I do think that the brief conversation about politics between Anakin and Padme is revealing and should have been left in the movie.

Other than those two cuts, I think that the movie was paced better with the edits that were done. Another thing I liked is that some small sections of the "romantic moments" were cut, causing Anakin to seem a little less stalker-ish. All in all, I was very happy with the result. :)

6. red_rose

red_rose Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2001
    I thought the movie flowed better without the creepy stalker scenes.
    I also enjoyed watching larger than life Clone troopers in the Geonosis battle scene.
    Cool experience!

7. padme1967

padme1967 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2002
    I was afraid that I would get motion sickness but it didn't bother me at all. (Paula you should have tried it!)

As far as the cuts go I didn't have a problem with most of them. One that should have been left was in Palpatine's office when they are tricking Jar Jar into bringing up the motion to give the Chancellor emergency powers. That is really a key moment. In effect Jar Jar is responsible for the downfall of the entire Republic, politically speaking.

I also thought it was wrong that they cut Beru's and Bail Organa's lines. For heaven's sake they are pretty important people! One raises Luke and the other raises Leia!!

I totally didn't miss the creepy scenes with Padme and Anakin. If a guy talked to me like that I would get a restraining order.

I was thrilled that the giant robot that catches 3P0 in the droid factory was taken out. That was a freaky scene.

padme

8. Allie Fox

Jan 13, 2000
    How about Question of the Week #10.1?

Do you think the IMAX release was done for the fans or for those that likely didn't see it during the first run?

It seems to me that the only scenes that were cut were the ones that were "too talky" or "too campy." Another thing that makes me think this was for the fans was the less than organized manner in which it was released. We really didn't know where it was going to be showing until the last minute, many IMAX teaters weren't expecting it and it wasn't even seen on the Official IMAX webpage until the very last minute.

9. RosieWook

RosieWook Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    I see it as more of an experiment than anything. How will digital translate to the IMAX format? Does LFL have the potential for an entire new IMAX division?

However, the nice part of me wants to think they did this as a gift for the fans. At least Steve and Paul made it into one, if nothing else.

10. Allie Fox

Jan 13, 2000
    What a "Rosie" attitude you have.

Continue being sweet.

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.