main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Edmonton Question of the Week: Why doesn't R2-D2 use his manuvering jets in Episodes 4, 5 and 6???

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Indigo_Jade, Jul 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    What is your theory?

I have a couple of my own...

A) He will have them break down in EP III, and because of the upheaval of the Republic and the lack of funds/supplies for the Rebellion, nobody has the parts/time to fix him properly.

B) When he gets his memory wiped at the end of EP III, Obi-Wan has them removed so that he will look like any other Astromech unit and won't draw attention to himself in the years between EP III and EP IV.

What do YOU think? :)

May the Force be with you all,

Indy

2. major_jedi_failure

major_jedi_failure Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2002
    i think i read on the official site (?) that george lucas himself said something about the jets having only a 25 year warranty (no joke...i'm damn sure i read this somewhere...

3. Darth_Haggis

Darth_Haggis Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    How do we know that R2-D2 did not have the jets in the original trilogy? Maybe we just didn't see them on screen. For example, on Dagobah, when Luke was about to leave, how did Artoo get into the droid socket in the back of the X-wing? How do we know that all of the astromec droids didn't have the jets to help them get into their ships when the land anywhere other than a docking facility? It is possible that they are a big drain on energy, and therefore not to be used if avoidable.... Who knows besides George Lucas?

4. Virago12

Virago12 Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2002
    major_jedi_failure is correct. Here is a link to the official explanation.

Holonet News

5. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Well that is a good "cop out" excuse by Uncle George, but doesn't satisfy me... :)

I'm sure we can all come up with a better reason than the "official" one... :)

Indy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.