main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question on a casting thing

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Ben_Max, Sep 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben_Max

Ben_Max Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 22, 2001
    I've got a fanfilm script written, which was going to be have my older brother and I in the two major roles (there's only one other character). And in the film the characters are brothers both in training as Sith Lords, so that would've worked out. The older brother is named "Raef" and the younger is "Regna." But now, my brother is now unable to do it. I already know of someone else I can get to do the film. He's a talented actor, I think we could pass off as brothers, and I've done swordfighting with him on stage a couple times, so I know he's already got that experience.

The only problem with that is that he's younger than I am. He's 18, which is the age I would've played as Regna. I'm 21, which is close to the age I originally gave Raef, but it's close enough that it can be changed without any other detail needing changing. So the logical answer to this would be to have him play Regna and I would step up and play Raef.

The only thing about that is to me, that would be like pulling a Seagal-move. You see, in the film, Raef is the one that the audience will be rooting for and Regna is the darker of the brothers. Personally, if someone wrote and directed a movie and cast themself as the hero, I think that the impression I would have of that guy would be somewhere along the lines of "pompous ass."

For a little while, I thought maybe I could cast him as Raef and make us twins, but I don't like that for two reasons. First, fanfilms have seen ENOUGH of twins. Second, the plotline really doesn't work as well with twins. It requires an older and a younger brother.

What I'm asking all of you is what impression you would have of somebody who did this? Cast themself as the hero? You can go ahead and be as open as you want to.

Also, if someone has any ideas on how I could adjust the script so that it would work with me still in the role of Regna. (I look older than the guy I'd like to cast in this, so it wouldn't work having him play my older brother.)

2. Ben_Max

Nov 22, 2001
    If you'd like to see the script, I posted it a while ago on the fan fiction board here for some feedback. Here's the link:

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=8173195&replies=1

EDIT: By the way, the script here is for that little while when I had them as twins. That's out and I have Raef at early twenties and Regna at late teens.

3. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    I like to not even have myself in my films, so I can't help you much... :(

But I'd say, if there's no one else that can play your part, then go ahead and play it. I don't think it's that giant a deal.

Or, if you REALLY care that much, why not just change the ages of the charactor, and have the younger be the evil one? It doesn't seem like the ages are that important, since you keep moving them along.

What I DON'T want you doing is not making your film because you're the only actor who can play the part. However it can be done, make it. Or, make another film. Just don't give up if the only way you can make a film is to have you be the good guy.

4. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Personally, I think it would be much better to cast actors (who aren't you) in roles, and conentrate on directing, shot composition, etc. Unless you have someone whom you trust completely with shooting your film, taking on too many roles in amateur filmmaking is not a good idea. I have only seen two, maybe three FanFilms who have done it successfully. The others have all been pretty lackluster.

Now, I know I am sounding like the bad guy, here . . . and I know that one of the most fun things about making a Star Wars FanFilm is putting oneself in a role (especially one in which you get to weild a lightsaber and wear a Jedi/Sith robe). I just think that a Director should be a Director, and an actor should be an actor. Each has his specific roles and each should only be concentrating on that role.

And before you all jump all over me with examples of how some Hollywood actors have made the transition and/or have taken on the dual roles successfully . . . I submit to you that the examples are few and far between and are the exception to the rule. I think RON HOWARD is one of the best examples of this. Sure, he could cast himself in his films ... but he doesn't - because he recognizes the value in the separte roles.

Again, this is all just MY own personal opinion. And IMHO, the best films on TFN (with the exception of a few) have been the ones where the Director was the Director - i.e. he did not try to satisfy his ego in casting himself in his film. He simply concentrated on being the Director and making the best FanFilm he could.

Whichever direction you chose, BEST OF LUCK with your project.

JediTAC
    He Tells It Likes It Is :D

5. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Thank you TAC for stating my view better than I could. :D

6. Ben_Max

Nov 22, 2001
    Of course I'm not going to jump all over you. I asked for opinions, and that's what I got. Actually, I consider myself an actor first, since that's what I've been doing for about ten years now. I wrote this script just for something to write in a different format than I usually do. After it was done and I read, I got all these ideas for certain shots and things to do. That's when I decided I'd like to make this into an actual film. I'm only also going to take on the role of director because I don't really know of anyone else to do it.

But I'm not firmly set in HAVING to have a role in the film. If I were to come across two great actors who worked great together and fit the roles, I'd give them to them. Thanks for the quick responses.

7. Ben_Max

Nov 22, 2001
    accidentally posted twice.

8. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    It's a double-edged sword, really.

On the one hand, as the Director, you want to make sure each shot is filmmed just how you envision it (as best you can). It's sometimes hard to entrust that to another person when you are in front of the camera/monitor.

On the other hand, as an Actor, you want to massure the best possible performances that encapsulates your screenplay vision. To this effect, I can understand how/why you would want to act in the film as well.

Decisions ... Decisions ... Decisions.
    Ah, the life of an amateur filmmaker. :D

9. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    I have to disagree with TAC. Well, sorta at least.

One thing I've found by working on Second Strike: If you can pull off all your other duties and still handle the lead if necessary, do so. Unless you look utterly silly in the part, it can actually help you to a great extent to play the lead if you wrote it. You know the characters and motivations better than anyone, and you know what intonations and such you wrote for in your script. Good as Kris is, I'm very glad I ended up doing Jaren for Second Strike.

10. Shawn PTH

Shawn PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    I just have to say Nathan that a project like Second Strike as an patch work audio drama really cant compare to trying to direct and act on location for a film. Its two totaly different universes.

11. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    True.

Unfortunately, you COMPLETELY missed my point.

Go back and re-read it. I (a) said *IF* he can handle it all, do so, and (b) stressed the reasoning for *why* that could be a good idea.

While we're talking about universes, might care to make sure yours contains the *content* of my post, not what you might've preferred it to say, to make the correction valid.

12. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    Whoa Fellas ........ Have a Beer. :D

13. muphicks

muphicks Jedi Master star 2

Aug 20, 2001
    I think it boils down to your reason for making a fanfilm. If you are out there to try and make an impressive fanfilm for the entire net to enjoy, Then I'd say stick with just directin., Although saying that if you don't know much about directing but more about acting, maybe stick to acting and cast a director (now thats strange logic for ya :p

If on the other hand your making a fanfilm for the same sort of reasons we (and many others have) in order to be in it and have a laugh making it, then don't worry about whether you play the lead or not. Just pick a part and play it :)

In the end I agree with tac about directors directing, actors acting. We've had a similar discusstion about making films and decided first and formost we'd make a film for US and would thus act it ourselves :)

However once this was done and we've got the "I want to be a Jedi and swing a lightsaber" out of the way we intend (Assuming after making one film we still want to make another) to make a second film with actors cast for the acting parts etc etc...

But even doing this is a compromise as we want to direct, despite maybe not been the best choice for directors, we could probably cast a better director :)

I'm rambling now and have to go to work, so I'll shut up :)

Hope the above is of some help and failing that hope it confuses the hell out of you :p

14. monkey_abbot

monkey_abbot Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    Maybe just switch the Characters around, or make the dark one (the younger fella) the hero, and vice-versa. U would just need to change there names.

15. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Okay, first of all, one thing: I think we could pass off as brothers

LOL

Okay, now that that's out of my system...

I agree with Monkey_Abbot. Though I'm not sure exactly what the issue is 'cause your first post kind of confused me (your younger brother looks older than you?), I think I get the gist of it.

If you pull it off well, casting yourself in the lead isn't popous, it's good casting. Frankly I've always wanted to play the bad guy, but in my own fan film I ended up having to play the hero.

Also, it would probably make a more interesting dynamic, and a more heroic turn, if in fact the younger brother was the one trying to make things right. The older, wiser, stronger brother doesn't have as much to overcome as the younger, weaker, more naive brother. I haven't had time to read the script yet but the more a hero has to overcome, the more he's a hero.

M. Scott

16. BorgLover874479

BorgLover874479 Jedi Youngling

Aug 3, 2002
    I'm doing a fanfilm with my friends where I'm CO-writer, director and an actor playing a semi-important role -- it is tough but I think I'm doing quite well. Obviously the scenes Im not in are easier to direct but I like acting as well. Its a hard choice because a lot of people want to see themselves on screen.

Mike

17. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    WHAT AN EGO !!! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.