main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question on Bluescreening in Photoshop

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by LukesActor16, Sep 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LukesActor16

LukesActor16 Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2003
    I read the tutorial about bluescreening in photoshop and tried it but it doesnt work. how exactly do u get rid of the blue?

any help would be nice
    thanx

2. Zelmo

Zelmo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 4, 2002
    Don't bluescreen in photoshop unless you have no other alternative.

-ZZZ

3. LukesActor16

Jul 29, 2003
    i really dont have any other alternative but adobe photoshop

4. Arfour_Peeseventeen

Arfour_Peeseventeen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    The only way I can think of blue screening through PhotoShop is using the magic wand tool and selecting the blue (with a somewhat mid-ranged sensitivity, depending on the lighting), though the results aren't that great. Then duplicate the layer and blur it a little, which should remove some of the roughies in the image. And put all of that under the background layer.

EDIT:
    How I would think you would bluescren in Photoshop.
    (from top to bottom)

Layer 1: Blue screen image, with blue removed using magic wand
    Copy of Layer 1: A slightly gaussin blurred image of above
    Background: Your background image

5. Zelmo

Zelmo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 4, 2002
    I'm pretty sure there's a way to do it without using the magic wand, but I don't know it. I think we need to put out a call to Ryan_W or somebody like that to help us out with this one.

-ZZZ

6. Figrin-Dan_Man

Figrin-Dan_Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    I hate that.

7. dilbert627

dilbert627 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2002
    Better than the magic wand is the Color Range selection tool. Go to Select Menu > Color Range. Set the Fuzziness to 0 and then Shift-click and drag over the color you want to select (blue). Drag over the blue areas until most of them are selected in the preview window. Then turn up the fuzziness just enough to get rid of any stray pixels. This is definitely a better way to do it. But if you're compositing video frame by frame, that could be a major pain.

Upon trying this a moment ago, I noticed it leaves a fairly harsh edge and a little blue leftover. You'll probably want to expand and feather the selection a few pixels.

Oh yeah, and there's a good Color Range tutorial on DVGarage about halfway down the page.

8. John2460

John2460 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    I agree, color range would be the best way to go.

Also, if you're an advanced enough photoshop user, you could use an alpha channel to create a matte that way.

If you're willing to spend the money, dvGarage has a collection of video tutorials that explain this method quite well.

9. LukesActor16

Jul 29, 2003
    Thanks
    The way of color range really worked good for me. I'll do it that way.

10. dilbert627

Oct 22, 2002
    Yeah, I didn't think of that. But you're right. The blue channel would already give you a pretty good mask. Then with some tweaking it would probably be an even better cutout. But it would probably be a little more work.

11. LukesActor16

Jul 29, 2003
    I still have one more question.
    how do u feather it or fuzz it so the harsh blue pixels remaining arent noticeable really?

12. dilbert627

Oct 22, 2002
    Select > Modify > Expand to make the selection bigger (to include the blue pixels)
    Select > Feather to blur the selection. Use a small number or the edge will be too soft.

13. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Actually, use Photoshop's extract tool. It's the best way to do bluescreening in Photoshop. It's inter Layer>Extract.

All you do is draw a rough outline around your actor with the brush tool in the Extract control panel. Then you fill him in with the Paint bucket. Hit preview, and volia! However, for best use, read on how to use it in the manual.

If you are bluescreening a filmstrip however, I would use the color range option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.