main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question on downloading (serious)

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by GhostPoet, Dec 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GhostPoet

GhostPoet Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2000
    Ok, I asked this in the wrong forum.

Is it illegal to download a movie like A New Hope if you already own 3 different copies of it on VHS?

If so, why? I mean...how can it be stealing if it's something you already own in the first place?

It is illegal. However, this kind of discussion may be permitted in the Senate, so long as it stays in general. I'm not sure how the Senate operates though.

2. Jedi_Knight_Jonas

Jedi_Knight_Jonas Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2003
    It's still illegal b/c the owners are getting no additional money that they would if you had bought it agin.

but that hasn't stopped some people..... :)

3. GhostPoet

GhostPoet Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2000
    But wouldn't buying it again defeat the original purpose? I don't own a VCR, nor do I want one. I want a copy that I can watch on my computer or on my big tv (ie...something that can play in a dvd drive)

I'm not selling the copy, just basically taking a copy of a movie I own and putting it into a format that I personally can watch.

4. Jedi_Knight_Jonas

Jedi_Knight_Jonas Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2003
    i know, i know, but the law is the law. personally, i've done it b4, but that was b4 the government cracked down. So if u do it, more power 2 ya, but if u get caught, dont say i didnt warn u.

5. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    You can make your own copy from your own original tape and view it for your own use. This is fair use.

Downloading it from somewhere else means someone is putting it out for public viewing with no payment to or permission from LFL. This is illegal. You may or may not get caught, but that doesn't change the law.

BTW, this thread won't last much longer.

6. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    You probably want to take this topic to "The Senate".

It is illegal to download a movie, but film studios make enough money as it is so who really cares. The US alone has 60 million people downloading Music, Movies, Games and Software. Steal from the rich and give to the poor. The MPAA and RIAA are the ones who are really going after Downloaders, but they have no say overseas were downloading is about 100x more rampant.

But anyways this belongs in "The Senate".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.