main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question on FF

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Daalawagner, May 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Az-Azzameen

Az-Azzameen Jedi Knight star 5

May 24, 2002
    Hi.
    As a newbie, I'd comment that meet-up dates would be most publicised on the 'meet-ups' thread here. At least regulars, and, therefore, the most likely to be interested, would pick up this info.

2. ObiJohnKenobi

ObiJohnKenobi Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 30, 2001
    Roy Castle?

3. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 27, 2000
    lol

If ya wanna be the best. A little better than the reeeest.

4. LadyVader81

LadyVader81 Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 2, 2001
    I am happy to organise things if everyone else wants

5. AFIdude666

AFIdude666 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2001
    I don't care who organises anything as long as it's not me.

6. MOTs_Minx

MOTs_Minx Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 26, 2000
    Well looks like you're making a start anyways by having the Meetups thread.

This will probably only be for the Londoners anyways.

7. LadyVader81

Jan 2, 2001
    well no one rarely does anyt other meetups because everyone is scattered so much. For example me, there no one where I live hense why I try to attend London meetups if enough time is given for me to get time off of work.

8. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    As JJF mentioned in one of the other meet up threads, he isnt interested in meeting people IRL.

Some others may feel like that too. They may feel its enough that we talk every day (or night, ie, the SW Theme Pubbers).

But there ARE some people who would be interested in meeting up so, I reiterate, if you wanna be the person to organise that, then go ahead.

But don't get all weird if hardly any people turn up...like Turr Phennir did. Some people just arent into it.

Don't take that as a negative though...cuz there are people who wanna meet up - they mostly tend to be in London.

9. AFIdude666

Mar 8, 2001
    I'm not afraid of meeting people in real life.

Everyone should be afraid of me.

10. ObiJohnKenobi

Aug 30, 2001
    I'm "afraid" that your new icon sucks nuts.

11. AFIdude666

Mar 8, 2001
    It's better than your wheelie bin.

12. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    The problem with this board is that there's two main groups.

Group A tend to use the board just for general chat during the day or evening and aren?t really interested in meetups except at the annual BBQ, and Group B tend to want to discuss SW more and are more interested in having meetings.

And of course, problems arise when you have these two groups trying to fit together, whether it's doing meetings or just chatting on the board here.

13. ObiJohnKenobi

Aug 30, 2001
    An astute recognition of the problem. Now what the two groups must realise is that the board isn't like a pub, where if one group gets the good seats the rest have to sit at the bar. Its as big as you want it to be, end there's room for everyone. As long as you just enjoy yourself and don't expect things from other people, there's no problem.

14. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Ooh_Aah_Cantona Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 13, 2000
    but I like sitting at the bar......

15. Poodu

Poodu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 3, 1999
    A nice judgement from OhJay there, sir.

16. Tanktopgirl

Tanktopgirl Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2001
    ...so it's easier for old men to buy you drinks OA?

17. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    Exactly CA.

And thats why I think there were problems in the past. Because it was frowned upon that the people in Group A didn't want to go to the meet ups.

18. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Dec 13, 2000
    tis true. Old men (well 1 guy) regularly buys me drinks. he a war veteran and I took some pics for him to send his daughter. And cause I didn't take any money from him he buys me drinks and tells me war stories whenever he's in there. And I'm too polite to tell him I'm not interested in his stories.

And if you ever meet him (pray that you don't) the 1st thing he will do is point at me and say "don't drink with him, it's his fault we don't celebrate St Georges day". And then he'll laugh for 5 minutes. Very amusing. Not.

19. Poodu

Poodu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 3, 1999
    And you drink with him?

*Uncle Albert* Jurrin tha war...

20. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Dec 13, 2000
    I DON'T drink with him. I'm with my mates. He occasionally comes in and joins us. he's a decent bloke actually. The St George thing, this year I was complaining that we don't celebrate it cause it's associated with hooligans. So some tw@ts in the pub thought I was being anti st georges and tried to start on me and the interveneing bar staff. But Ol dave saved the day and they apologised to him. So now he finds it funny to bring it up everytime I see him.

21. Tanktopgirl

Tanktopgirl Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2001
    I like old people a lot. They get a bad press. And not all of them smell of wee.

22. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Dec 13, 2000
    F+Dave doesn't smell of wee. he's a funny bloke. But he does need a trachoctomy. So he has to talk right next to your ear otherwise you don't hear him.

Me and him tell each other racist jokes.

23. Az-Azzameen

Az-Azzameen Jedi Knight star 5

May 24, 2002
    Hmm. S'right.
    Theres a couple of old geezers in my local that play us the 'young 'uns' for money on the bar billiards. They regularly roll us over. Gits.

24. LadyVader81

Jan 2, 2001
    I understand that people may no want to turn up, I wont be able to make all the meetings because I live like 300 miles away from London so I wouldn't really get upset about it.

25. Ramesh

Ramesh Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    Interesting views. I agree that it would be better to publicise the information here than at a separate web site. I also agree that it won't appeal to several people here who would only be interested in chatting with others online rather than meeting in person. Its also not feasible for everyone here to meet regularly (especially as its almost always in London). But all we're trying to do is inform those who 'might' be interested in meeting fellow fans, drinkers, movie buffs etc. Its just a means of getting our message across to as many people as possible.

The episode 2 meetup was a huge success. We had around 50 people (the Thursday and Saturday combined) creating an amazing atmosphere both in cinema and the pubs. We had similar success for Lord of the Rings back in December and it would be nice to think we can do this sort of thing more often.

We have a cross-over thread at the Southern-England forum but its hard to say if we've had any success with that. Email is also widely used but obviously it limits the number of people being notified. I think the best option is to have our regular threads here with links from other places (such as the fans notification bit on the tf.n main page).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.