main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Question on Mara Jade's abilities

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CarpeDiemRedhead, Jul 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    What's really embarrassing is how often it changes. Like, in the Denningverse Luke must be bipolar or something. Because I kid you not, while in Omen he basically says "The Force has two sides, light and dark, and there are no shades of gray at all, let alone 'colors of the rainbow' like the Aing-Tii believe," in Apocalypse and Crucible he basically says the exact opposite–that the Force is one, and it's up to the user to determine if it's light or dark. Or was it that the user's intent determines it? I can't even remember anymore. [face_sigh]

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  2. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005

Did you skip the page where Mara Jade gave him a wicked hickey and asked him to change his opinion on that matter???

3. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Only Mara was dead by then. :p

4. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I forgot Denning did something about the dark side being necessary in Crucible.

I don't remember what Denning put in Apocalypse except that the Sith were necessary for balance.

Needless to say, Denning's meditations on the Force through his work seem to be more about serving an agenda than any actual legitimate thought on the setting.

Revanfan1 and Riv_Shiel like this.
  5. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

That is probably why it is best to have multiple authors share the work instead of allowing one to do most of the work (like people seem to say Denning did in the post NJO time period). Sounds like Denning (because he was allowed to do so much work) tried to turn the EU into his vision instead of just expanding on the works done by other authors.

6. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah, he contradicted the prior series and the films with his "vision" (not to mention himself). I can't see the Expanded Universe being invested with the sort of weight that his work was given now, though. And I don't understand why he was given pretty much sole province over that era of the timeline, except that no one else wanted it?

Revanfan1 and Riv_Shiel like this.
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What? Where is this from?

Also: Can you all people that are quoting the books refer to what book you are quoting since not all of us have read them all and would like to know what is being referenced. Page number would be nice also. Bitte

8. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

Yep at least according to wikipedia he did seven books in the legacy era and no one else did anymore that three. Who was that Jude Watson? It looks like he was handed a ton of books in the pre ANH era. Never heard anyone talk about Jude Watson before. Were his books mainly ones that could be skipped?

9. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The Dark Nest trilogy is essentially Legacy era as well even though it's technically put in the NJO era, so it's really ten books that Denning wrote which were set after the NJO series.

Jude Watson wrote YA fiction (and Jude Watson is a she).

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Jude Watson is a woman and as far as I know, the only books she wrote were the Jedi Apprentice and Jedi Quest series, and yes, they can be skipped.

She writes for either 39 Clues or Infinity Ring now.

11. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Ahh just curious because according to the site I looked at Jude Watson had like thirty books in the span of five years (from '99-'04).

12. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Yes, I...if I were brave enough, I'd go check my Legends (tee-hee [face_tee_hee]) copy, but I am not that brave and I don't care to remember what perversion of the Force and Vergere's philosophy Denning has written Luke as having "discovered" again. :rolleyes:

Yes, that's basically what he said. That, and apparently Denning got the impression from the Mortis episodes that by not staying at Mortis, Anakin Skywalker somehow failed to keep the Balance of the Force, despite all evidence to the contrary–and that the Jedi and Sith had to coexist forever and keep fighting forever to keep Abeloth from coming back and what the kark is this garbage man I can't believe this is the same series that started out with the relative high note of Outcast. [face_sigh]

That agenda apparently being "keep the Jedi and Sith fighting forever so we can write more stories about them fighting that causes the war to be extended so we write even more stories about them fighting and then some more too because Jedi and Sith are the only things that matter, forget the Yuuzhan Vong or whatever."

13. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

The name Abeloth caught my attention because it was a character I had never heard of before so I looked on wookieepedia

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Abeloth

Was Abeloth's EU storyline inspiration for the Mortis trilogy in TCW. Or was much of Abeloth's story not fleshed out until after Mortis was already a part of TCW?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Mortis preceded Abeloth, and Denning tied it into her backstory, and in the process kind of messed it up.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  15. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    That one. Apparently they had a different backstory in mind for Abeloth but somebody asked Denning to tie it in to TCW's Mortis arc, so he watched it and apparently got the totally wrong idea from it–that by leaving Mortis, Anakin failed to bring balance to the Force–and wrote Apocalypse based off that assumption. The sad thing is that now he's misinterpreted two things and made the SW universe worse off because of it–Vergere's teachings and the Mortis arc. [face_sigh]

16. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    I thought Lucas meant to make it pretty clear that Anakin did bring Balance to the Force by killing the Emperor.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  17. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Well, obviously. I know that, and you know that. Every-kriffing-body knows that. But remember, this is Troy Denning we're talking about here. He's basically the master of Missing the Point™.

Abadacus likes this.
  18. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I thought Lucas made it clear with the Mortis trilogy that nothing about the Force in Star Wars will be clear, ever.

19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    how so

20. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Because it made as much sense as "Lost"?

21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    it made as much sense as Luke fighting Vader in a cave on Dagobah and decapitating him only to find his own face behind the mask

22. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    If Luke then had his memories erased and found himself in the X-Wing orbiting Dagobah, and Yoda was replaced by the monolith from 2001, and the entire movie was only about Luke's adventure there, sure.

Probably throw in a polar bear in there as well.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  23. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

Lol, that must of been one of those scenes when no one stepped in and told Lucas that that idea was just dumb. It took me a long time to realize what the heck that scene was supposed to mean and if Vader was really there or not really there and if Vader was really there how the heck did he have Luke's face. Was Vader really Luke?????????

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  24. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    no one had their memory erased

unless foreknowledge of the future counts as memories even though it didn't happen yet

I really don't know why people have trouble understanding Mortis it's pretty straightforward. But if we're just going to use non sequitur metaphors then I guess it's pointless to discuss it.

exactly it's so damn confusing throw in polar bears and you've got LOST

25. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    I thought Mortis was just as straightforward and understandable as the later episodes on Yoda, which concluded the series, though the former weren't as interesting as the latter in my opinion.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.