main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question on Post-NJO books

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Thejedikiller, Jul 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thejedikiller

Thejedikiller Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 26, 1999
    I saw that at SCC DelRay said that there would be a post New Jedi Order story arc consisting of 9 books writtne by three authors, those being Troy Denning, Aaron Allston, and another no yet mentioned. My question is is whether this three part paperback trilogy written by Denning coming out in 2005 considered part of this new story arc? If it isn't it makes me wonder how far in the future after NJO this story will take place.

2. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I heard 35 ASW4 somewhere, which is the same time Denning's 3 are going to take place - kinda hints that they are the same books.

3. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    The Denning trilogy is set five years after the NJO I hear, and is wholly seperate from the nine book series that is from Denning, Allston, and someone unnamed (but I'd bet the farm on Stackpole). I would assume the nine book series wouldn't be long after the Denning trilogy.

4. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Too petrified to get away from the original trilogy characters, we're forced to see them yet again, even if they're in their 50s and 60s.

Cool, isn't it?

[face_talk_hand] Nope! [face_talk_hand]

5. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    From what i understand denning trilogy is seperate from the nine.

Excelence, you've got a point, han is going to be in his 60's, luke and leia in there late 40's early 50's. Is the life span in gffa longer then it is normaly? I'm hoping that the series will focus on jason and jaina's generation of jedi and there associates.

6. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    From what i understand denning trilogy is seperate from the nine.

so Denning is going to write that first trilogy and then (supposedly) another three for this 9 book story arc? that sounds like quite a bit to me.

7. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Thejedikiller :cool:

Is the life span in gffa longer then it is normaly?

Yes, it is, but I'm tired of Luke & co. I want books about Jacen, Jaina, Tenel Ka, Zekk, and all of the other "kids" (who will be around 30 if the series is gonna be set 35 ABY)

8. Nick_Rostu

Nick_Rostu Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2004
    I agree with Wild_Karrde, let this be the "young" jedi knight's series. I wouldn't want to see Han with his blaster in hand and dentures in mouth. Yike.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    People forget that, in his mid-50's, Mace Windu was still the baddest Jedi in the universe. Luke, Leia & Han can still kick some butt >::)

10. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    Trilogy is 2005, the series is 2006

http://www.theforce.net/books/bookschedule.shtml

11. Shadeleader

Shadeleader Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 25, 2003
    If they didn't focus on the Big 3, do you realize how much blood the violent reactionaries among the fanbase would call for? That's why they keep revisiting this timeline and not jumping forward or backward.

12. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    People forget that, in his mid-50's, Mace Windu was still the baddest Jedi in the universe. Luke, Leia & Han can still kick some butt

Thank you for pointing that out, The2ndQuest. Luke, Leia and Mara are in their mid to late 40s. They are not old! You people act like they have one foot in their grave. I hope the new trilogy has Han, Leia, Luke and Mara. I still love reading about them. I do agree this trilogy should be used to develop the characters of the younger Jedi. I look forward to reading about Jaina and Jag's relationship. I also want to read more about Jacen, Kyp, and the other young Jedi.

13. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    Kyp is a Jedi Master and nearing 40, I doubt he counts as a "young" Jedi anymore. In fact, we all know Denning wanted to kill him off in SbS, and Denning is writing the first trilogy, so maybe Kyp won't have much of a chance to expand his character... [face_thinking]

14. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Denning's also reportedly said that Kyp's growing on him, which would probably mean that he'd have to be writing quite a bit of him to get attached to him.

LONG LIVE THE KYPPIE!

erm . . . Kyp. Forget I said Kyppie. :p

Dana

15. neo-dragon

neo-dragon Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Yes, it is, but I'm tired of Luke & co. I want books about Jacen, Jaina, Tenel Ka, Zekk, and all of the other "kids" (who will be around 30 if the series is gonna be set 35 ABY)

I say, forget all of them and let's see a story which takes place 100 years after the NJO! Even 50 years would be interesting. It's too bad there are too many people who are frightened by new things and/or love the classic characters so much that they can't bear to miss a second of their fictional lives. Sure, Luke and company aren't too old for some action, but they've been saving the galaxy almost non-stop for over 30 years now. Give them a break!

16. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Kyp is a Jedi Master and nearing 40, I doubt he counts as a "young" Jedi anymore.

Well, he is young to me, chiss_man. :p

Kyp is definitely growing on me. I would like to see more of him. But I do not want to see Jaina and Kyp hook up. That would just be WRONG! I think Jag is the man for Jaina (you gotta love a man in uniform). :)

17. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    i hope you see alot of Jag/Jaina relationship in the Dennings Trilogy and eventually get married in the 2nd or last book, or pull a Heir to the Empire and have em married in the beginning like Han and Leia with no explanation, and then some random author can write Courtship of Sword of the Jedi Jaina :p

18. NJOfan215

May 17, 2003
    I'm not particularly interested in who ends up with who. I'm nore interested in the plot.

19. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    I completely agree with Excellence's sentiments. ;)

20. Thyrsan4Blood

Thyrsan4Blood Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2002
    If Denning's trilogy is set at 35 ABY, Luke, Mara, and Leia will be 54, with Han hitting a ripe old age of 65.

I'm on the side of the fence that supports stories for the younger generation and newer characters. I'd still like to see the Big 3 and others make cameo appearances in the new books, but I'd rather not particularly read a story that features Luke & Co. saving the galaxy for 200+ pages. As someone said, they've been saving the galaxy for 30 years, let's someone else do it. If anybody deserves a decade of kicking back on the beaches of Mon Calamari, its those guys, with Lando, Wedge, and others there with them. That's one of the reasons I was so disappointed with the TUF, since with exception to Jacen, none of the new generation really contributed much to the final solution, just merely ran interference so that Han, Leia, Luke, and Mara could get all the major plot points.

And Kyp is a tweener, between the old generation and the new generation. I believe his age in Denning's trilogy will be 40, while Jacen & Jaina will be 26.

21. NJOfan215

May 17, 2003
    I agree with your chronology.

22. Darth_Sloth

Darth_Sloth Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 9, 2002
  23. Etih-Sew

Etih-Sew Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 24, 2002
    I wouldn't mind seeing Luke as the old, bearded, wise beyond his years Obi-Wan type, having gotten that way by living a life of peace for a number of years after the NJO. I think he deserves it.

24. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    He said in the Who is the spy? (Battle Surgeons spoilers) thread that he is writing 3 more SW books. The only problem is that is the TFN Book Release Schedule says he is scheduled to write a post EP3 book.

I'm pretty sure that Reaves' three SW books are a trilogy set between ROTS and ANH.

25. jedimasterkipdurron

jedimasterkipdurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    I want to read about the new generation but I REALLY don't want the old to be pushed to the side. I'll keep reading if they do that but I'll be pissed.

So why can't we have a half and half sort of story it would please everybody!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.