main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question on the Star Wars Fact Files

Discussion in 'Literature' started by HandOfThrawn01, Nov 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandOfThrawn01

HandOfThrawn01 Jedi Youngling

Jul 17, 2003

I am an avid collector of the Star Wars Fact Files, and down here in the Tatooine of Earth (Australia), I am up to issue 88.

What issue is the rest of the world up to?

I think Britain is about 5 issues in front of Aus. Thats what I heard anyway

2. Csillan_girl

Csillan_girl Jedi Master star 5

May 6, 2003
    Here in Germany we'll get # 92 tomorrow.

3. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "I am an avid collector of the Star Wars Fact Files, and down here in the Tatooine of Earth (Australia), I am up to issue 88."

Umm, Tatooine of earth would be part of Tunisia, Death Valley, and a few minor other places that was filmed for Tatooine shots, ;).

I know I saw where Mos Eisely was located when I went to Death Valley(however the matte painting of the town doesn't exist over the spot, heh).

"What issue is the rest of the world up to?"

The U.S. isn't even up to Issue #1, :p, unless collectors were able to import them.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Hey Thrawn..
    We here in the UK will get issue 98 next. I normally pick mine up on Wednesdays, or Thursday if it is late. If you want to know what is in store, see the
    fact files thread. It has contents listings for each issue. I normally update it when I get mine.

5. HandOfThrawn01

Jul 17, 2003
    Thanks Fett, you truly are THE man!

Can't wait for issue #97 down here.

What is your overall view on the Fact Files?

I dont think they are too bad, but my one objection is that the Fact Files will end way before Episode 3 is released, so we wont see any of the Ep. 3 info in there. Unless they make some kind of expansion pack of maybe 25-30 issues covering Ep. 3 after the film is released. That wouldn't be too bad.

Second question Fett, how much do you pay for an issue? Aussie issues are AU$5.95.

The Aussie dollar at the moment is about $.70c US.

Bot sure what the AU conversion rate of British pounds are though....

And Valiento, my statement of the Tatooine of the Earth being Australia, I was referring to it being a backwater settlement ( "If theres a bright center of the universe, your on the planet its farthest from....."), and not the fact that 50% of the country is desert. Just letting you know

6. Csillan_girl

Csillan_girl Jedi Master star 5

May 6, 2003
    I think the Fact Files are cool, but they could have more EU, most articles just cover the films. There are so many minor film details, but complete novels are dealt with on two pages.

And sometimes I think they should have some kind of spoiler warning. Normally I don't mind spoilers, but I got to know that Anakin Solo would die and that Coruscant would be conquered by the YV from a little throwaway line in the timeline. You can imagine, that was shocking because I had read the NJO only until Balance Point and really didn't expect it to get that bad.

One other thing to criticize is the price: 3,50 Euro - I think that is much for a weekly magazine!

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Well, this week's update is in - see the thread link above for it.
    Here in the UK I pay 1.99 GB pounds for each issue - no shipping charge as I order it through the local newsagent. The pound is currently worth 1.44 euros and 2.23 AU dollars.
    And if it does end before ep III it will be a shame. The publishers extended it once - maybe they will again.

8. HandOfThrawn01

Jul 17, 2003
    Fett, I seriously dont think that the Fact Files will continue on to Ep. 3.

Don't get me wrong, I would love them too, and there still is a whole heap of info to cover in the SW Universe, but the last official issue is meant to be issue 125, iirc.

That's what it said last time I was on DeAgostini website.

And Csillan_Girl, you are right. Not enough info on the EU in the Fact Files. What I also found annoying was their total reliance on the Characters section. Out of my five folders that I have, nearly two and a half is filled up with Characters. Wouldn't mind seeing some more in Locations and Vehicles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.