main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question regarding "A Galaxy Divided" DVD

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by WedgeWalker, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WedgeWalker

WedgeWalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2008
    If anyone has picked it up, could you answer a question for me?

Is the show presented in plain old 16x9 like when shown on Cartoon Network and TNT, or is it in full anamorphic widescreen 2.35:1 like the films?

Thanks in advance.

2. DMan304

DMan304 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 10, 2004
    I'd also like to know.

3. DarthMarino

DarthMarino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 18, 2002
    The back of the box says "standard version" reflecting the aspect ratio of its original television exhibition which would lead me to believe 1.78:1.

4. Darth_Neznarf

Darth_Neznarf Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2008
    It doesn't seem there's any conciveable reason to buy this disc if its the exact same aspect version as was run on tv. I hope that this 4 ep version doen't sell well as we all want a box set of the season in widescreen. It seems like Lucasfilm is tryin to squeak every penny out of us fans by selling the eps 4 at a time instead of a one price box set.

5. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    I see it as being aimed at the kids specifically. Kids typically enjoy watching the same programming over and over. There's no extras or an overwhelming amount of episodes for them to get lost in. No nods to the established fans like the proper aspect ratio we're all salivating for.

I realize Lucas bashing will be forever en vogue to some, but here there's no real reason for it. They've specifically announced that a box set with all the above goodies will be coming to a galaxy near you later in the year. Although I haven't heard any official word that the regular dvd will have the correct aspect ratio, but I figure it's a given for the blu-ray.

I'll be passing on this one too, but I realize I'm not the target audience. By year's end, my collection won't be any less complete without it!

6. brainwash

brainwash Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 19, 2009
    Not everyone likes the super wide screen look, if they did, they'd have been broadcasted like that in the first place.

I'm gonna pass too, though, but I'm looking forward to re-watching the season in a more theatrical experience!

7. darth_grievous1

darth_grievous1 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2004
    Oh good lord don't get me started with this... "I want it to fill my ENTIRE screen! I don't care that you see more, I don't like black bars!"

First off, it's not a "super widescreen 'look'".

Here's some screen caps from the Clone Wars (had it aired as individual episodes):

[image=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/darth_grievous1/Snapshot002_MAR.jpg]
    (I did have to lighten this one, but you'll see why later)

[image=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/darth_grievous1/Snapshot003_MAR.jpg]

Not bad. Now...here's what it looks like in it's intended aspect ratio....

[image=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/darth_grievous1/Snapshot002-1.jpg]
    (I couldn't find the latterbox edge on the top when I cropped this...that's why the earlier image was brightened)

[image=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/darth_grievous1/Snapshot003.jpg]

(The black letterboxes are a part of the actual frame, not additions I made myself).

Both images are in a 1.78:1 frame, but because the picture in the lower screen caps was wider than that, they had to add the letterboxes to allow for the whole width of the picture to be seen.

As you can tell, an entire clone was hidden in the first screen cap, but there he is (although a little cut off, but you get the idea) in the third cap. Really, it doesn't matter what Joe Q. Sixpack likes. If the film is intended to be seen in 2.35:1, then it should be shown that way. This also goes for old TV shows that were filmed in 1.33:1 and are cropped top and bottom to make a 1.78:1 picture.

And you're right brainwash, that's exactly why it was aired like it was. I find it to be a high point of disrespect to an artist (which, depending on who you ask, film is an art form) asking the artist to alter their work, that they put their money into, spent their time making, to alter it to Joe Q. Sixpack's liking.

//end of rant

:)

8. brainwash

brainwash Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 19, 2009
    I speaking for the general audience, not myself (I already said I wanted the wider screen).

I thought the TV series had a 2.39:1 ratio since the special feature on the DVD for season 1 showed clips from the show like that, and it was just broadcasted in 16:9, so I called it "super widescreen" because I didn't feel like getting the actual numbers or whatever.

9. darth_grievous1

darth_grievous1 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2004
    I knew what you meant. Sorry if there was any confusion :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.