main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[question] Regarding fanfiction and RPF boards

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Rilwen_Shadowflame, Mar 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    Is there some way to contact the owners of the boards?

Because (and please don't ban me for this, I don't think I'm breaking any rules just by asking) I consider it a tad...discriminatory that only heterosexual romance is permitted in RPs and fanfics. If it were how I would think would be better (read as personal opinion, NOT as intention to break the rules), either kind of romance would be allowed as long as it was not explicit.
    For example, I believe it is forbidden in the RPF to even imply a homosexual relationship. Even if it's only a wink or a kiss on the cheek or holding hands.
    But heterosexual relationships are allowed to be depicted, as long as they aren't explicit.

Could somebody please tell me how to talk to the owners(without them banning me for DARING to want a policy that would seem, *to me and this is only my opinion plzdontbanme*, to be less discriminatory)?
    Or at least might I please request an explanation as to why it is so, that is more detailed than 'the owners don't like it'?
    Because it just seems to me to be a bit inequal, and I thought most places ruled out discrimination.

Please don't ban me for this. I am, honestly, trying to understand. And I do not intend to break existing rules while they are rules. I'm just suggesting that maybe there might be the possibility that there should be different rules.

Oh, and if there was an openly homosexual couple in a Star Wars novel, could we fic/RP them? Or are they to be glossed over, if ever they are written?

...I really hope I don't get banned for this. Because I am just saying my opinion, I don't think I'm breaking the TOS.

...Thanks for your time, whoever wishes to answer. :)

2. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    You won't get banned because you aren't breaking the TOS - your post is polite and reasonably well put forward, so you have nothing to fear.

Ultimately this is a private messageboard provided for us to use for free from the owners. The owners personally don't agree with the concept of homosexual fanfiction, and hence we have to honour their request, or feel free to use one of the many other SW messageboards on the internet.

We've been through the loop many times before (check the comms index), always with the same conclusion. There's no genuine arguement against homosexual fanfiction, other than the owners don't want it on their private messageboard. Personally I don't see the issue with homosexual fanfiction, but at the same time I don't see anyone suffering because it is not permitted.

3. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Mar 27, 2005
    ...I'm glad of that. I was a little scared posting the topic.

"For the record, the current policy on sexual content prohibits i)homosexual allusions, inneundo or explicit scenes, ii)heterosexual scenes of an explicit nature."
    From the RPF rules.
    I find it...just kind of unbalanced, in my own personal opinion. It just makes me wonder why there isn't even allowed to be allusions/innuendo for one, but the other is acceptable as long as it's not explicit.

I'm not asking because I want to write stories/play RPs that are about homosexuality. I'm asking because I think it might be better if we were allowed to feature tham.

For example, a theoretical game that has a gay or lesbian character, not as the focus, just as part of who that character is, in the same way one would say a character is or is not religious and so forth.
    The religious person might pray a bit.
    The homosexual person might have a thing for a same-gender actor in a holodrama, or only buy drinks for their own gender.

I'm not expecting anything X-rated; I wouldn't want that, regardless of character orientation. It just seems...fairer, to me.

But if the rules are as they are, fair enough. I won't break them. I just wanted to suggest a possible change I might want to ask for.
    :)

4. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Malkie summarized the issue pretty well. Basically, we've been through this before and it's not an issue on which the MS team makes the final decision.

5. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    It is "unbalanced" as you say, but you are looking to alter the view point of the owners, which has remained extremely clear since this issue originally arose. Like I suggested above, I don't believe the lack of homosexual characters/relationships/interactions will directly impact on the fun which can be had with fanfiction and role play.

6. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Mar 27, 2005
    Yeh, fair enough. I doubt even a polite email will alter their stance, so...*shrug*if I want more variety in RPing, I'll head somewhere that lets me. :)
    No point contesting it any further...(though I still think their bias isn't very rational/logical/free of discrimination. ;) ) But hey, that's my opinion, and I'm not expecting things to change or people to agree en masse just cause I think that.

Thankyou for your answers. I'm grateful you took the time to explain it. :)

Feel free to lock this, if you like, since it's pretty clear the status quo stays. ;)

(on that lighter note, to conclude my comments with a tiny bit of fun, this will be my second ever thread mod-locked for anything, iirc. Redundancy, and now concluded issue. I feel special. :p )

7. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Question answered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.