main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question Regarding the Force potential of Leia?!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Kiryan, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    So, question. Came out of a discussion of a Prince Luke and Jedi Leia.

Does Leia have the same Force potential as Luke?

Word of God was, AFAIK/IIRC, that Luke had the exact same potential as his father in the Force in nearly every way, but the main difference was that Luke said 'no' to Anakin's 'Yes' - and it was also another reason that both Vader and Palpatine wanted Luke, is that his potential exceeds both of them. Now, much of that is the old EU and also i am sure that Lucas actually said something similar.

Anyway, does Leia have the exact same Force potential as her brother and father? I know that there is some discourse that she may be weaker for whatever reason, or else she just does not tap into it as much because of how she was tortured by Vader on the Death Star. I know that she has used a lightsaber various times, as well as the Force in general, but does it just come down to her being weaker or that she just refuses to use the Force in general?

2. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    If there is some weakness in Leia, something that makes her less suitable for Jedi-dom, I would point to her personality.

Yoda tells Luke that he will feel the Force when he is calm, at peace, passive. Those are not things that Leia does real well! Leia is a fighter — look at how she's still fighting in TFA. A pacifist government is using her as little more than a state-sponsored terrorist, commanding a puny force compared to the Rebel Alliance of old, but still she fights. And that reflects well on her! To use the Force, you do have to be strong, and Leia has that down. But that passivity comes hard to Luke and would come harder to Leia.

Luke fails in the cave because he takes his weapons and fights. By ROTJ, he understands why that was a mistake. He surrenders to Vader. He throws his lightsaber away. I wonder whether Leia would ever get past that "take your saber in with you" stage of her training? It's a bit like... in SEAL training, to pass the initial stages, you can get by on toughness. Take the pain, force yourself to stay awake, run your body to exhaustion, etc. But eventually the difficulty increases to where you really do need the intelligence, the judgment, the right answers. And if you don't have those things, there's no amount of fight, fight, fight that can get you through. At this point, they already know you're tough, because you got here. So they look for other things. I think Leia might get stopped at the equivalent of that "tough ain't enough" point.

The Jedi Bunny likes this.