main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question/Suggestion about word on profanity list

Discussion in 'Communications' started by yankee8255, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carmenite

carmenite Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    What do you mean using it in the normal sense?

So is the rule basically now that you can't use the letter 'f' when it can reasonably be assumed to stand for the swear (such as wtf, mofo, etc), but that you CAN use f-word substitutes such as freaking, fracking, ****ing, farking, fudging, etc, so long as those substitutes aren't 'eff' or 'foxtrot'?

Also, is WTFrack allowed, or do you need to write it out as 'what the frack'?

2. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Correct. Anything that is meant to stand for the swear. The word "frack" doesn't stand for that swear (in this universe, anyway...just like "kriff"). The swear word and words you can look up in urban dictionary to stand for it is what was disallowed. (i.e. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot and "eff")

timmo and Andalite, they pay the bills. What they say goes.

3. carmenite

Oct 13, 2002
    What do you mean that the f-word substitutes don't stand for the swear? How does **** not stand for it? And the other words were words made so that you're not actually saying the swear itself.

ETA: Not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand the logic behind it.

4. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    Rhonderoo, surely you can kind of say to them though something like "...seriously?" But ya know, politer? I know you guys must think some of these rules are silly.

5. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Isn't that like when your parents say "Because I said so!"? In other words, it's not a real answer to the question. It's just a way of skirting around the answer.

6. carmenite

Oct 13, 2002
    It's really more like when your babysitter says "because your parents told me you had to." They're just doing what they're told, the parents are the ones with the decision making power.

7. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Not when the answer is "they said so". We're not going to be able to change this, we asked the last time we passed the profanity list by them, so to take it any further would be arguing in circles.

Edit: Carmen, they have a problem with that word and words used to associate people with it like "eff" and "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot", stars can mean other things and this is about as clear as we'll get on this, I'm afraid.

I'm lucky enough to be able to curse in my own home if I want to, so I manage here. It's just one of those things that if I need to exclaim "What the....?", I can say, "hell, ****, or some other variation"... and hopefully that will satisfy me.

8. carmenite

Oct 13, 2002
    No, I'm saying that you guys are like the babysitter who is just following the parents rules. For that reason, my question isn't about the wtf rule, because that's been specifically laid down by the owners. My question is about how you interpret the things that you're given.

You've interpreted the no swearing rule to say that you can use other words in the place of it, such as frack and ****. However, you've interpreted the no 'f' rule to say that you can't use other things in the place of it, such as foxtrot and eff. That's where I have the question and I'm trying to understand where you're coming from.

9. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    No, those words were also laid out by the owners, also, as far as I understand it. They stand for the F word. In this universe, they are used to say the word without saying it. Semantics I know, but a lot of this argument is.

Frack is a word used on Battlestar Galactica, not a "swear" word in this universe and stars can mean anything, therefore it would be pretty ridiculous to not allow them.

10. carmenite

Oct 13, 2002
    I didn't know that 'eff' and 'foxtrot' were banned by the owners as well, so that's where the disconnect happened on my end. If they've gone so far as to ban those words then yeah, there's nothing you can do and the conversation is pretty much dead. But out of curiosity, when were they banned by them?

ETA: I would argue that 'freaking' and 'fudge' are both words that are used to say the swear without saying it, that 'frack' was created in battlestar for the purpose of saying the swear without saying it, and that **** is a way to swear without actually saying the word, but that may just be another difference of opinion.

11. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I'm not sure when, but it's been that way since before I became a mod.

Yeah, you could say that about those words, but then again, I don't want to ban fudge and stars. ;) People are going to express their frustration. The owners just have a problem with a few of the words because of their personal beliefs. Their prerogative, they own the place. But I don't think any of us, including them want to get down that far on moderating intent. I don't think I've ever seen "eff" as a word. But if it is, and it's not being used as an exclamation for the swear...there wouldn't be a problem with it. But most of the time it is.

I look at fudge, frack, stars, etc. as words like damn, hell, and ass. They aren't considered as bad or can't be seen as the substitute for the swear word a mile away.

12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    From my point of view, it seems that a line in the stand had to be drawn somewhere. There seem to be a number of people who think the line in the sand was drawn either arbitrarily or perhaps too far on the side of disallowing things. Nevertheless, that line has been drawn, and we need to live with it.

We could redraw that line a thousand times and not please everyone. The biggest thing now is to just work with what we've been given. Understand that you can use stars and you can use words from other "universes", but that pretty much any other way to get around using the letter F or representing that letter or word it implies will result in an edit.

And, really, does this really inhibit your ability to enjoy your time spent here?

13. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    That's what I was thinking myself as I was reviewing this thread and the equivalent MS thread this morning. We have to have a certain set of rules in place for many different subjects in order to regulate, enforce and maintain the current atmosphere of where we and the owners want these boards to be.

14. carmenite

Oct 13, 2002
    I understand the need to draw a line, it's just that to me the line should be drawn at the f word and the letter 'f' rather than extending it to anything that can refer to the letter 'f'. However, I totally understand that if the owners have banned the words 'foxtrot' and 'eff' then that's how it needs to be, and now that I know that those particular edicts come from the owners, I'll deal.

15. Cinnamon_Windu

Cinnamon_Windu Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 10, 2005
    I think it's ridiculous that the eight-letter word for bovine scat has to be completely starred out. Bull is not on the disallowed words list.

16. carmenite

Oct 13, 2002
    So you can't say 'bull****'? That doesn't make sense, since you can say b*, can't you?

17. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Yep, bull**** is allowed. So is b*.

18. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I was about to ask that... how many different possible uses are there for whiskey tango foxtrot? :p

19. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Please don't say that there's actually conversation regarding the word "Bitching" when describing the complaining of another user's behavior.

It isn't a flame, it's not a direct insult in any way, and it's always been kosher before.

20. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    No, we're not talking about the verb usage of the word. That will remain unchanged.

21. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
  22. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Just use this when you want to say B* [image=http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x129/WVUChrisF/bovine_excrement.gif]

:p

23. Cinnamon_Windu

Cinnamon_Windu Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 10, 2005
    So why was a user edited for posting bull**** here?

24. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Linking to a 175 page thread doesn't help. Can you be more specific?

25. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    it wasn't "bull****" before the edit and the thread has 350 pages

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.