main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by -Ki-Adi-Mundi-, Jul 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Ki-Adi-Mundi-

-Ki-Adi-Mundi- Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2004
    During ROTJ, the swoop race on Endor takes Luke and Leia practically halfway around the planet, yet Luke can still find his way back to the squad and Han like nothing. I think it'd be a bit difficult to re-group after riding a few hundred miles away, making sharp turns and curves, and finsding yourself in a sea of green.

2. MurphysLaw

MurphysLaw Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2004
    He had Onstar...He called them up and they told him where to find the nearest rebel commando unit on a covert mission to destroy something Imperial...very convenient, that Onstar.

3. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Obviously they didn't go as far as you thought...

And besides he DOES have that little ability called the Force to help guide him...

And BTW, it's a moon, not a planet... ;)

4. -Ki-Adi-Mundi-

Jul 25, 2004
    I figured he might've had some sort of comlink or tracking signal from them, or he could've used the force to locate them.

5. -Ki-Adi-Mundi-

Jul 25, 2004
    Obviously they didn't go as far as you thought...

I thought they both went pretty far. Imagine how many turns they took and stuff, and those speeders do accelerate pretty good too.

But I agree on your Force theory, it seems like the only logical explanation.

6. swanarchy

swanarchy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2004
    ^^What Indigo_Jade said^^, yeah, thats my answer.

7. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "And BTW, it's a moon, not a planet..."

"That's no moon, it's a....."

Nevermind. :p

8. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    They didn't go that far did they? I mean its a speeder bike, it doesnt travel as light speed. Didn't look all the much faster than a car.

9. Genrader

Genrader Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2003
    I heard the Speederbikes go about 300km an hour, and they ride for about 8 minutes or so, so 300/8 = 37.5km, which is 30 miles or something like that (my math is probably way off). It wasn't too far, and he probably Force ran back.

10. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I don't know. They dont look like they are going that fast. The window on the face would have been pulling the skin back at that speed. Right? Also how can one fly those things in the woods at 300mph? Luke yes, he is one with the force and Liea maybe not what about the Biker Scout?

11. swanarchy

swanarchy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2004
    300 km not 300 mph, they are way different speeds, not to sound harsh... and your right, i could see how luke could do it, but I would think it would be hard for the rest of them.

12. origjedi

origjedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2001
    They turned so many times that they actually went in a circle. They were only about 20 feet away. Actually, I don't know. Continuity, continuity, where art thou, continuity?

13. Genrader

Sep 12, 2003
    A) Leia and Luke are both Force-sensitive. Remember that Anakin could podrace and he had no clue he was Force-sensitive, so Leia could pilot the speeder.

B) The speeders had brakes on them to go around sharp turns, plus the fact that the Scout troopers armor was probably outfitted with electronic devices to help them steer better when going very fast. I'm sure only the best of the best even survived going very fast.

Also, you must take into accoutn the trees are huge. If you are going 300km/h by two hundred small trees, you will look like you are going very fast. If you go the same speed by 200 extremely large trees, you will appear to be going much slower.

14. -Ki-Adi-Mundi-

Jul 25, 2004
    Remember that Anakin could podrace and he had no clue he was Force-sensitive, so Leia could pilot the speeder.

How can you say that? We have no proof the Force guided him. And I'm sure Leia knew how to perfectly pilot the speeder, otherwise she wouldnt've hurled herself at it when the scouts started to leave.

15. Genrader

Sep 12, 2003
    The proof is given in The Phantom Menace by Qui-Gon Jinn. I forget exactly what he says, but he states that the reason he can podrace so well to Shmi because he "has Jedi traits."

16. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    "You must have Jedi reflexes if you race pods..."

"Feel, don't think. Use your instincts."

17. Darth-Serafin

Darth-Serafin Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2004
    Not to mention with all the turns they took it may have led them back in another direction. After Luke and Leia got on their tail, I think the main objective was either loose them or get to the base as fast as possible. Either way im sure they took odd routes which may have led them back in the direction they came from making the distance away they traveled even less. I'd say that they only got a good 15 to 20 miles out. And with the force on Lukes side he could find his way back in a matter of hours.

18. Genrader

Sep 12, 2003
    I'd say that they only got a good 15 to 20 miles out. And with the force on Lukes side he could find his way back in a matter of hours.

15 to 20 miles sounds reasonable, the official databank says speederbikes go to 500 km/h (not mph).

Someone can play around with this if they want to:
    http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/speed_distance_time_calc.html

Going 350kmh for about 40 kilometers is about 6 minutes or so, and about 24.85 miles, which seems about right.

You must also remember that Luke was a Jedi and could easily use Force Speed to move very fast, if needed.

19. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I would disagree with the distance estimates given simply because they're assuming max speed and straight line distance.

I doubt max speed for the full time or possible even at all since they accelerate a few times during the chase. Furthermore they undoubtedly make some turns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.