main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Questioning the Order - One post vignette - Q/O *Meant to make you think*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Arldetta, Oct 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arldetta

Arldetta Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Sorry I didn't thank you earlier. I was caught up writing. ;)

Sabercrazy - Thank you. [face_blush] You are tooooo kind. :D

PadawanKitara - Thanks. Like I said before, I don't think there will ever be a "right or wrong" answer to my questions. Each person deals with gifts and things differently. For some, the Jedi could have been the best thing for them. And for others it could have only made things worse. We have seen examples of these in the SW galaxy. I.E. Xanatos, Bruck and Anakin to some degree show the "bad" results of training and most of the other Jedi, Obi-Wan included, show the "good" aspects. I hope that makes some sort of sense. Thanks again. :D

2. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    Wow Arldetta! I am glad you told me about this vignette that I missed so many months ago.

I loved the way you set this up with Obi-Wan having to answer these questions from a doubting mind. And her doubts are very valid in my own mind.

?Let me pose it to you this way; while on a war torn planet, I?m sure you have come across children, correct?? His nod confirmed her assumption. ?And when you looked in their eyes, you could see the burden of said war weigh them down, right? From what you have told me, you would have done anything to save them from their pain, save them from having to deal with such horrors, save them from growing up before their time. Is that not also true?? Yes, he nodded, as the multitude of memories crashed into him.

?So I ask you now; would you willing allow a child to be placed in a similar situation? To live in a world where their innocence has been destroyed?? Immediately, Obi-Wan shook his head and mouthed the word, no. ?Then, in all good conscience, why should I allow one of our children to enter the Jedi Order??

I loved this part. I have always felt that the babies sent to the Temple are cheated out of their own childhood without their consent. It is for the greater good, but I found the argument above very telling. Even the Jedi children themselves think of themselves as Jedi, not children. They would sacrifice their own lives to save a child from having to witness the same things they do mission after mission.

You raised some very interesting points here. I loved this take on things and in the end, Obi-Wan's very nature convinced the Ambassador to give the Jedi a try. Very nice. :)

Well, this response is going to bring this baby UP from the depths, so heave ho! :D

3. Arldetta

Arldetta Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Sheila - Thank you very much!!! :D I'm so glad you liked it. I must admit this is still one of my personal favourite pieces because of what it means to me. I am both Sieyan and Obi-Wan in my mind. The debates I have had internally I somehow managed to place coherently on paper.

But I really wanted to see if my doubts and questions were well founded. Does anyone else question these things? I know many of us dream of being a Jedi, but if we were given the choice, would we make it for the right reasons? We all dream of power of being able to do the things we can't now. But at what cost does that power come? In most stories we often see trials and tribulations for the Jedi involved. And for most of us Pain is also involed. So are you willing to face unspeakable pain and suffering just to lift objects, wield a lightsaber and speak with someone mentally? I know some people would rush to answer yes, it's for a good cause. But some people can't even handle a cold.

Anyway, I was very happy to see others with the same skepicism. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.