main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Questions about 2nd ed. Starfighter Rules

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by BlueStar, May 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueStar

BlueStar Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2001
    Hey guys, I just joined an online group of RPG-ers, and I am about to begin GMing a group of Imperial starfighter pilots. As I flip through my second edition book I realize that there is very little in there about fighting in ships. What I need to know is:

1) What do the pilots roll and roll against to see if they hit a ship. Then what do they roll and roll against to see if they damage it?

2) When someone operates shields, do they divide their shield code amongst the various arcs they wish to protect, or does each arc recieve the total dice of shields?

Also, if anyone could run through a very quick example engagement between two ships, that would be EXTREMELY helpful. Thanks so much!!!

2. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    1. To hit, a character must roll his Starship Gunnery plus the ship weapon's Fire Control. To dodge, the target must roll his Starfighter (or other kind of ship) Piloting plus the ship's Maneuverability.
    If the hit is sucessfull, then roll the weapon's Damage against the target's Hull plus Shields (if any). Then see Ships Damage Table for results. And remember to use the scale modifier if necessary.

2. Sorry, my group doesn't use the Shields rules... for us it's full shields all the time...

Hope this helps a little.

3. BlueStar

BlueStar Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2001
    Thanks so much! I suppose I had assumed that's what you do in battle, just needed that verification.

4. BlueStar

BlueStar Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2001
    One more question: What role do short, medium, and long ranges of weapons play in starfighter battles? Because in normal combat, if the person doesn't use a defensive skill like dodge then the attacker rolls his blaster skill against the difficulty for range. Is it the same when firing on a ship? Or is it just the maneuverability of the ship plus the pilots dice of starfighter piloting as was said above?

5. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    If the pilot does not attempt to dodge then it is just the range difficulty.

There is a short example (I do not have my book handy so I may not use correct die numbers):

Any X-wing(pilot skills: mechanical 3D, starship gunnery 5D, starfighter piloting 5D + 2, starship shields 4D, perception 2D+2; fighter: manuever 3D, Hull 3D+1, fire control 2D, damage 5D, shields 2D+2) and a TIE-ln(pilot skills: mechanical 3D, starship gunnery 4D + 2, starfigthter piloting 6D, perception 3D+1; fighter: manuever 2D+2, Hull 2D+2, fire control 2D+2, damage 4D+2) face off.
    First round:
    Both roll Perception for intitive.
    X-wing 8, TIE 9

Declair actions.
    X-wing: set-up for head to head and fire two times (2 actions needed, decides to take three).
    TIE: avoid head to head and fire once (1 action needed, decides to take two);

Act.
    TIE begins to pull out of intial head to head and fires once. [TIE pilot rolls 5D+1 (starship gunnery + fire control - 2D for taking two actions)]. X-wing tries to dodge. [X-wing pilot rolls 5D+2(starfighter piloting + manuever -3D for three actions)]. TIE gets a 20 and X-wing gets a 19. (Since the X-wing did not use an action to put his shields up they are not used in the roll.) Damage: [TIE pilot rolls 4D+2, X-wing pilot rolls 3D+1(Hull + shields covering that fire arc)]. TIE gets 19 and X-wing gets 4(rolled a 1 on wild die). X-wing is heavily damaged. X-wing pilot decides to run to hyperspace. X-wing rolls a 20. X-wing jump to hyper.

Just another glorious day for the Empire.

6. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    Did this help at all? Oh, actual x-wing stats:Maneuverability 3D, Hull 4D, Shields 1D, fire control (lasers) 3D, damage (lasers) 6D. TIE: Maneuverablity 2D, Hull 2D, fire control 2D, damage 5D. better of two: TIE. IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.