main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Questions about Leia for comics readers

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Skywalker2B, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    For those that read the (new) Marvel comics, I have a question:

Has Leia learned that her mother was Padme?

If yes, in which comic (series and issue)?

Why do I ask? Because I have an idea for a short story that explains Leia's comment to Luke in RotJ that she could remember her "real" mother. However, I like to make sure that my stories fit into official canon (at least until something new comes out to contradict my story ideas).

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    From Leia the comic?

No.

No she does not know.

Skywalker2B likes this.
  3. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    when Luke asks Leia about her mother in ROTJ, she's not shocked, so she must know that she's adopted, at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skywalker2B likes this.
  4. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    Charlemagne19, thank you. Have they had anything in the SW ongoing?

Daneira, yes, I believe that she did know about her mother, but not her father or that she had a brother. GL used some ideas from the Bible for Anakin, so I thought about other biblical events that could be used for Padme and Leia....specifically, Lazarus and Moses.

5. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    In the Bloodline novel, she already knows that Padmé is her mother. But that's six years before TFA. There was no mention about how she found out.

Ghost, Revanfan1 and Skywalker2B like this.
  6. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    There is nothing in the ongoing series about Leia finding out who her mother is.

There is a moment in the Leia series in which she is visiting Naboo, sees a stained-glass image of her mother (without realizing that's who it is), and very briefly appears to experience a vision of the image looking at her. Having mentioned your interest in aligning your story with canon, that might be something to at least be aware of as you develop your ideas, if not directly reference.

Jedi Ben and Skywalker2B like this.
  7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Thought that was in Shattered Empire, actually.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    Darth_Voider, yeah, I read Bloodlines a while ago. Just didn't remember if she knew about Padme or not in that book.

The Positive Fan, I also read the Leia mini-series and remember that scene. I'll have to take another look at it to get a little more detail on her reaction. I'm hoping that Leia has some sort of "familiarity" feeling when she sees the image but since there is no details in the image doesn't "connect the dots". Also hoping that it may be that she's focused on her mission so the image doesn't really draw her attention like it could/should. What I'm attempting to do if figure out when would be a good time for Leia to learn more about her mother...I'm leaning more towards between ESB and RotJ, but closer to ESB so that it has more time for Leia to deal with the revelation before her conversation with Luke.

9. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    No, that moment with the glass image of Padme was indeed in the Leia miniseries.

Shattered Empire had another similiar moment though. She visited Naboo again (this time with Shara Bey), and when she was about to enter the Theed hangar, she felt remains of Darth Mauls dark side presence, feeling physically cold because of it.

Jedi Ben and Revanfan1 like this.
  10. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    ^ Yes, that's what I remembered as well. Hmmm...I wonder though...in Shattered Empire Naboo didn't seem to hold any special place in Leia's heart, so I wonder if, while she does remember things about her mother in RotJ, she doesn't actually find out that her mother was Padme until some time after Shattered Empire and before Bloodlines? My story idea can still work, but may have a bit of a twist to it. ;)

11. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    BTW, thank you all for responding to my questions!

12. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Good discussion. Yeah in the Leai comic all she saw was an image of Padme and in Leia's opinion she had the feeling that the image was looking at her. That was her first look at Padme but she didn't know who it was.

Then when you fast forward to the Bloodline Novel, it was I think after she was outed as being Vader's daughter biologically that she brought up Padme. She went on to describe how she researched Padme with Greer's help after she learned who she was (It was never stated how she learned Padme was her biological mother though)

So yeah by the novel Bloodline (6 years prior to TFA) She does know Padme Amidala was her real mother.

13. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I think it's very likely Leia only figures out Padme was her mother after finding out Darth Vader was her father as well as Anakin Skywalker.

14. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    Just in case anyone is wondering, here is the basic premise of my story idea:

Because there is a continuity error/conflict between the end of RotS and in RotJ when Luke asks Leia about her mother. Leia’s answer is that she remembers her mother, but that she died when she was very young. A newborn is not going to remember a parent when they are in their 20’s and beyond, but a toddler could. So, this is an idea to “fix” that continuity error.

- - In the AotC novel, Yoda comments to Padme that the force is strong with her (after surviving the assassination attempt on the landing pad)
    - - Perhaps she either was never tested, or was tested and declined training. Or, was tested and found not to have a midichlorian count high enough for jedi training.
    - - Qui-Gon convinces the living force to revive Padme (similar to how the midi’s conceived Anakin)
    - - He tells Yoda. OB1 has already left with Luke, so OB1 has no knowledge of what happens next.
    - - Yoda shares Padme’s revival with Bail and they come up with a plan (which includes having a funeral to allow people to think that Padme is really dead).
    - - Bail has the medical droids memory of the births and Padme’s revival erased
    - - At Bail’s suggestion, Padme disguises herself as an Alderaanian and returns to Alderaan with Bail.
    - - There she assumes a new name and is brought in by Bail to be Leia’s nannie (similar to the story of Moses).
    - - Caution is taken to attempt to keep Padme as unrecognizable as possible. She doesn’t even let on to Leia that she is her mother.
    - - Leia has a strong bond to her nanny/mother.
    - - While she is glad to be able to be near her daughter, Padme is sad about not being able to see her son and sad because she believes Anakin is dead.
    - - About three, or so, years later, ISB agents discover that Padme is still alive on Alderaan and report to Palpatine. They don’t know about her connection to Leia.
    - - Palpatine orders the ISB to have her killed…quietly, so that Vader does not know.
    - - ISB agents kill Padme and make it look like an accident.
    - - Leia isn’t told that the nanny was her birth mother until sometime between Ep. V and VI
    - (Epilogue) Leia is using some information from R2 in her search for Han. While doing so she comes across an old bit of information…her nannie, on Alderaan, was her real mother. Upon the revelation, she tries to think back to try to remember her. She can’t remember details about the nanny’s face, but does remember some good moments with her and some of the woman’s strong feelings of loss. Before she can probe further something comes up giving her what she needed to track down Han and she puts aside her thoughts of her mother to focus on finding Han.

15. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    New canon has been giving her visions and emotional touchpoints connecting her with Padme. It is a known fact on Alderaan that she was adopted, but only known to be a 'War Orphan'.

16. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    Taalcon, in what mediums? Comics? Young Reader books?

Basically, I'm trying to find out if canon sources have made my story idea impossible...yet.

17. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    Well, if I recall correctly, the Darth Vader comic has the doctor who was involved in preparing Padme's body for burial interrogated. Bail Organa, barely a year out from ROTS, is raising Leia w/ Breha, and I seem to recall him thinking about Padme's death. All implications are that there was a real, dead body there on Naboo, and everyone believed she's dead - including Bail and Breha.

But you should still feel free to play around and tell your own what-if story :) #Legends ;)

18. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    Hmmm...I'll have to go back and re-read that Vader comic then. I don't really want to do a "what if" story. If it doesn't work, I'll let the whole idea go.

19. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    (pssst! All fan fiction are 'what-if' stories! And that's what makes them fun!)

20. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    Yeah, I realize that all fanfic is "what-if", but I like my stories to actually fit into canon continuity and be sort of a mix between speculation and fanfic.

To me, "what-if" scenario is where someone takes the actual canon story and says "what if I change this one detail, or this one event...how would the story be different?" Whereas, I attempt to come up with ideas that fill-in stories, or stories that connect existing characters and/or events that haven't been told yet. It's more of a "well, it could be true" sort of thing. *shrug* I don't know. Maybe, in this case, I would like it if someone were to read the idea and say "cool, I wish that was how it really happened in the canon".

21. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998

Which is literally what Legends did, only to have George say, "Hey, I got a new idea." So, you're in good company ;) Except instead of George, you have the Story Group.

22. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    ^^^^^ Yes, very true.